Misadvised by DWP, lost out on 4 years payments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Misadvised by DWP, lost out on 4 years payments

Options
carrie05
carrie05 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I was given incorrect advice by a DWP advisor in 2016 who said I must end my PIP.  In 2021 I found out that I had been incorrectly advised. They failed to tell me I could keep the benefit under certain circumstances, and failed ask me questions to assess whether I came under those circumstances.  Because of the DWP misinformation I have lost out on 4 years of payments. They have rejected my complaint saying they only keep tapes of phone calls 14 months and therefore cannot confirm the info i  was given.  I have asked for a reconsideration, and filed with ICE ombudsman. My question is....has anyone ever successfully received back payments for such a large period ie 4 years. ?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,626 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @carrie05 good morning and welcome to scope, did they say why you had to end your PIP claim back in 2016?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• carrie05
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Mikehughescq. Thanks for your reply. As you point out, who would chose to end their claim if they were currently entitled to it .  Already doing /done the things you suggested.  Reason the claim was ended was I was moving abroad. PIP is transferable abroad but I wasn’t told that I could continue it, they told me I must end my benefit.
  • carrie05
    Options
    Woodbine.  I was moving abroad and phoned the DWP PIP department to tell them of my change in circumstance.  I was told I must finish my claim, that I could not take it abroad. But this was incorrect information.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.