Text from the GP & (semi) giving up drinking — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Text from the GP & (semi) giving up drinking

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger

I had some blood tests recently and my family member (carer) just had a text message from the GP asking me to phone for a telephone appointment r.e. my test results.

My family member called up for me and asked if I could have a face-to-face appointment (I find using the phone hard) but was told I need to have a telephone appointment on Friday however my family member can take this for me. Then the doctor will arrange a face-to-face appointment if needed.

I’m worried it may be due to drinking/liver function as although I have gotten my drinking down I do still have a good drink to help with my issues like anxiety and obsessive morbid thoughts.

This has “hit home” and I have decided I am going to stop drinking to help with my anxiety. This will be hard but not impossible but I may be coming on here more often for support/distraction and boring you all :)

However, I can’t give up when my obsessive thoughts are bad as no one really understands how bad these get, they are worse than being physically tortured and I sometimes wish I could end my life. 

That said, the thoughts are unbearable only around 1-2 days a week on average so I should be able to reduce the drinking by 80% which I think is a good first step. Maybe then the doctor can give me some medication to help with the thoughts.

Anyway, I have my fingers crossed that they don’t want to tell me anything too sinister. I’m guessing it’s not urgent otherwise they would have wanted to speak sooner?

P.S. A message to Scope admin - I know my comments may trigger a welfare email, I just want to say I don’t have any plans to do anything to myself at this time and am safe etc. I know you are busy and don’t want to waste your resources. Thanks.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,719 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang try not to worry until you've spoken to the Dr, if it is what you fear, your dr can help you through it. I know that won't stop you worrying , try a distraction until your appointment 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang as sandy says try not to worry till you speak to your gp 

As you say they are not treating it as urgent 

Reducing the amount you drink can only be a positive try diluting it a bit if that helps 

We are here to help you even if it's just a chat or distraction 

Always happy for you to pm me if it helps 
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks @Sandy_123 for the kind post and tips.

I'm not worrying badly at this stage, hopefully its just the doctor saying my alcohol:blood ratio is a bit high and to cut down, will worry about something worse if it happens.

I am still going to give up the drink though regardless of if it's anything bad or not as I think it's a healthy choice to make.
  • 66Mustang
    @janer1967

Thanks for the post and offer to PM - that is really kind.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Always here for you @66Mustang :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • 66Mustang
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Reducing the amount by 80% would be a huge achievement in itself @66Mustang. Very best of luck with taking the next steps to start getting some more support for your anxiety and drinking. The GP should be able to talk you through your options, including possible medication. There are also apps out there that some people find helpful when trying to give something up- is that something you've looked into? 

As the others have said, the community is here for you, and we're all in your corner :) Your conversation starters and comments are never boring- so we look forward to seeing more of them! ;) 

Thanks for leaving the little note at the end- you know we do like to check-in! As always, please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything we can help with. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks @Tori_Scope for the kind words. I will be sure to have a chat with my GP to see what he can offer.

I am not really an app person (I have less than 1 full page of apps on my iPhone and iPad!), I tend to do things the old fashioned way and just write a note or keep a diary. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm glad you like my posts as I do sometimes worry about whether what I say is boring haha! :D
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem @66Mustang, and best of luck with the appointment about your results, too. 

That's fair enough! I was just wondering as I've seen quite a few people find them motivating. Keeping a diary or something sounds good :) 

Ha, not at all! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    You will be fine @66Mustang - & cutting back on drinking is such a positive thing to do anyway. I'm sure you know we're all here for you, & that includes me too. You are a member who is very important to the community, & boring is the last thing you are. :)
  • 66Mustang
    Thank you @chiarieds, that is very nice of you to say! I agree about cutting back on drinking, and I am going to give it a really good shot regardless of what the GP has to say on Friday (which hopefully is nothing too serious) :)
  • Duninn
    Duninn Community member Posts: 184 Pioneering
    @66mustang - be careful cutting your alcohol!  I think somebody mentioned you might consider diluting,  it’s a good idea but in moderation if you recognise you’ve been drinking a lot for a long time.
    Without discussing with the GP you might do more harm than good! 

Good luck and stay safe
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang always here for you my friend, every time I have a full blood test my liver function always shows as being not what it could be and I hardly drink. See what the gp says before making big changes, and if you ever just want a chat feel free to message me.
    Take care.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    @Duninn thanks for the tip. I remember being warned that it's not safe to stop drinking quickly when I was drinking loads a couple of years ago, but I don't think I have been drinking enough recently that I have to stop gradually. I did have just the one drink last night instead of the usual 3 or 4 and I feel fine so far. Thanks for the advice though, and I appreciate the kind words.

@woodbine thank you for the kind message and offer to PM you, it really means a lot. I will indeed see what the GP has to say before making any big changes but I think cutting down has to be a good thing even if my liver is fine - at this stage I am treating the text message as a "shot across the bow" so to speak! Thanks again.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    If you want to stop drinking by a such considerable amount, I wonder if there's anything else you could use the monetary savings for instead?  Could help as a good motivator on the difficult days...  Either something large to save up for, or something small weekly/monthly...   :)

As for the test results, they can't be that serious, as you say they might have some more urgency with the appointment if they were!  :D
  • 66Mustang
    Hopefully that's right about the urgency @OverlyAnxious

That's a good shout about putting the saved money into something instead as a motivator! Just need to decide on what to put it towards...:smiley:
  • 66Mustang
    We just had my telephone appointment.

They wanted to tell me I have quite high alcohol in the blood and I also have high cholesterol (7.4 I believe).

I don't eat a lot of fatty foods or cheese, cheese is a treat for me, and I have about 1 glass of full fat milk a week. My only "sin" with fatty foods is I like butter. I don't know if that justifies a cholesterol level of 7.4 though, maybe the alcohol usage in the past has something to do with that so hopefully it will come down now I'm drinking less.

Does anyone know of anything else that can increase cholesterol levels?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @66Mustang

Glad you know what it is about now and pretty much what you expected 

I'm no expert on cholesterol why not look on NHS website..keep up the reduced alcohol intake 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Good to hear you have some answers @66Mustang

I found this page from HeartUK that explains some of the foods that can contribute towards a higher cholesterol
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Eggs are also high in cholesterol if you eat a lot of those?  It probably is just an effect of the alcohol in your case though.  :)

Brightness