Claiming PIP with severe Emphysema advice please? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming PIP with severe Emphysema advice please?

Options
michael88
michael88 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, i know it may be hard to get an answer but just an idea would be helpful. I suffer from severe Emyphsema and have done for 10 years and while I am still working I am soon giving up due to illness and wonder if you think I may be able to claim PIP. I am 63 years old male. I was awarded a Blue Badge about 7 years ago as I have trouble walking and need some assistance with dressing and washing from my wife. I have never claimed a penny from the state in my life and have always worked. 
Any thoughts, please?
Thanks
Michael

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Pip isn't about a condition it is about how much the condition affects your ability to do the task as outlined in the descriptors 

Have a look in our pip section for more details on the descriptors 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @michael88 and welcome to the community.

A good way to figure out if you have a chance of being awarded PIP is to have a look at these descriptors and consider how your condition applies to them. Think of what happens when you try and do the activities, and whether you need any help to do them from another person or aid.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @michael88, hello and welcome to the community. PIP is not awarded on a diagnosis, disability or illnesses but on how you cope and manage the PIP descriptors in a timely manner, safely and in a repeatable fashion fo 50% of you daily life. I would advise you take a self test on the benefits snd works site and see how you fair. Remember the answers you give in your application form will have to be justified at your assessment should you decide to make an application for PIP.
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Options
    Hiya ? @michael88
     just wanted to say I have the same illness and I get PIP  (thank God!) So it is possible for sure? However it really is about how having it affects our ability to do the descriptors though as people have said above? I had never heard of them before I came on here but honestly completely changed everything for me!
    I fully believed (as many do) that as long as I have a serious illness and  diagnosis I would get dla/pip no matter what? As I thought that's what it is for? But since I saw the pip descriptors list etc I now see what they are actually interested in or looking at? And it's not got as much to do with what is wrong with us it's about what we can or can't do? Because 2 people can have exactly the same illness but they are affected in completely different ways? For example I know a lady who also suffers from emphasema and she only has to use an inhaler when outside? I have to use one all day every day no matter where I am or what I'm doing most of the time? So I now see why diagnosis isn't as important as the descriptors ?? 
    Same as before I came here I thought an assessment was me telling them what happens to me on a daily basis and them writing it down word for word and telling DWP? Then someone at DWP makes a decision based on what I said?! But I found out it's actually not that way at all? 
    Anyhoo I won't go into all that now but this site has definitely helped me understand the whole process a lot better ?? so you are in a good place! So wish I'd known these things before I claimed but at least you will now! ?? Good luck with it all!
  • michael88
    michael88 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to advise me, I will keep you informed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.