Hello what am I entitled to? Will DWP award me both DP and SDP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello what am I entitled to? Will DWP award me both DP and SDP?

Options
JT_Hyperoptic
JT_Hyperoptic Community member Posts: 15 Listener
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone my names jay, I’ve been reading about this dp and sdp as I am on pip since 2013, yes I only heard about this a couple weeks ago, late I know but better late than never.
now I called up dwp they confirmed I haven’t been receiving it and called me back a week later to ask for previous addresses etc. My question is will they award me both dp and sdp or do I have to call them again and make myself clear about the entitlement for both? I’m not sure how it works 
any reply would be much appreciated 
cheers ? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As well as PIP what other benefits do you get?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• JT_Hyperoptic
    Options
    I get the usual esa think it’s support group and pip enhanced both rates 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There is no Disability Premium in ESA. There is Enhanced Disability Premium which i would expect you to have been getting already (DWP often call this income guarantee on their letters). 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • JT_Hyperoptic
    Options
    Ok thanks, when I called up they did tell me that I haven’t been getting it and then called back up and asked my previous address and if anyone claimed Carers allowance, do I live alone etc
  • JT_Hyperoptic
    Options
    Another thing, wouldn’t I receive disability premium because of pip?
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Another thing, wouldn’t I receive disability premium because of pip?
    As already advised
    calcotti said:
    There is no Disability Premium in ESA. There is Enhanced Disability Premium which i would expect you to have been getting already (DWP often call this income guarantee on their letters).  
    The Enhanced Disability Premium should have been included simply because you are in the Support Group, regardless of any PIP award and I would be very surprised if you have not been getting that.

When Daily Living PIP is awarded you become eligible for the Severe Disability Premium (if you live alone and nobody claims Carer's Allowance or the carer element of UC for looking after you).

Full details on different premiums here
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/disability-premiums-in-benefits
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • JT_Hyperoptic
    Options
    Ok i understand, really sorry to be a pain I appreciate all the help. He did say that he’s processing some forms and asked when I was receiving the pip from which I said to be around mid or end 2013, I offered to find the letter with the actual date he said that he’ll go with the date that’s on the system so I asked him what date does he have he said it to be like I said mid to end 2013, asked me 3 different previous addresses and asked me the same carers and living alone questions for each address, I have no clue what’s going on but I hope they aren’t cutting my benefits Many thanks 
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Those questions are to confirm that you were living alone and receiving PIP with nobody claiming for looking after in order to confirm you qualify for the Severe Disability Premium.
  • JT_Hyperoptic
    Options
    As long as they don’t cut my benefits. You’ve been great Thank you for your replies have a lovely evening 
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    Options
    If awarded, getting SDP will increase your ESA by £67.30/week and if arrears are paid from 2013 that will be a substantial sum.
  • JT_Hyperoptic
    Options
    Are you saying they’ll backdate the payment to 2013? I’ve always lived alone never had carers etc 
  • calcotti
    Options
    Are you saying they’ll backdate the payment to 2013? I’ve always lived alone never had carers etc 
    They may.
  • JT_Hyperoptic
    Options
    I’ll keep you updated again thank you so much for your patience and help 
  • JT_Hyperoptic
    Options
    Hello there, we’ll I’ve just heard back from dwp they apparently backdated the payment from 2014 which is still good not sure if it’s the correct date thou but that’ll do. They did ask if I was mentally stable to handle large sums of money, that’s kinda put things to rest in my mind oh and I’ll pay the water bill thanks for your time 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for the update @JT_Hyperoptic, glad to hear you seem to have had a positive outcome and it has put your mind at ease.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • JT_Hyperoptic
    Options
    Yes was straight forward really got it backdated to jun 2014 I’ll check my pip award letter date but I’m still happy with that, they done all this within 10 days. Great 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.