Apparently UC top-up £20 to be phased out — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Apparently UC top-up £20 to be phased out

MarkM88
MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks Mark 

Doesn't really give much detail how it will be phased out though 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I’d imagine it will be announced how it will work exactly closer to the time. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Thats not good thats 80 pound a month less that will be horrible for a lot of familys they takeing that away yet everything else has gone up including rent 
  • Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    I heard on the radio it was going ahead and had been already agreed, but then again that's the media reporting so who knows? 
    Therese Coffrey apparently "Wants to get Britain back to work"
    Which is fine fine, if you're able to work! 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    janer1967 said:
    Thanks Mark 

The process need not be complicated complicated. I would expect the government will simply confirm that the standard rate allowances will reduce by £86.67/month for all assessment periods starting after a particular date.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Marie12
    Marie12 Community member Posts: 13 Courageous
    calcotti said:
    janer1967 said:
    Thanks Mark 

The process need not be complicated complicated. I would expect the government will simply confirm that the standard rate allowances will reduce by £86.67/month for all assessment periods starting after a particular date.
    From what I can see the date of change is is 6 October 2021. So if your assessment period is 7th month - 6th next month then (7/9-6/10) which is paid about a week after will include the extra. If your assessment is a day later (8/9-7/10) you last higher payment will be the one in September (covering 8/8-7/9)

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/313/pdfs/uksi_20210313_en.pdf
  • Marie12
    Marie12 Community member Posts: 13 Courageous
    ****i got the date wrong***
    Assessment periods that end on 5th October or before get the uplift - ending 6th October or later don’t 

Standard Allowance modification
    2.—(1) For any assessment period in relation to an award of universal credit, where that assessment period ends on or after 6th April 2021 and before 6th October 2021 regulation 36 (table showing amounts of elements) of the Universal Credit Regulations 2013(c), as amended by the current up-rating order, is to be read as if the amounts of the standard allowance were each increased by £86.67.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    There is some serious opposition to this from within the Tory party six former DWP secretary's have written suggesting it would be wrong, and a number of the new intake who won seats across the "red wall" are far from happy, so if there is a smell of a commons vote expect the govt. to back down in some way.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Mike is the 20.00 a week going to stop ??
  • Lisatho11987777
    Thanks Mike so just have to see then 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Phased out is a misnomer in as much as it implies a gradual change. It is likely to be an abrupt step.
    Mike is the 20.00 a week going to stop ??
    That was always the stated intention when it was introduced.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Bonnie1234
    Bonnie1234 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Well, lets hope Boris gets the sack and has to claim,  what fun that would be, it is  shocking, you cannot give people something they become to rely on and then take it away, this is cruel.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Boris is far too rich to claim UC.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.