What's the point in working? I'm worse off than I was — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's the point in working? I'm worse off than I was

Lisatho11987777
Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
edited July 2021 in Work and employment
I love my job but I am now worse off working  I have had a letter about council tax I now have to pay 139.00 a month my extra rent is 100.00 a month gas and electric 200.00 a month thats my wages gone 

I can see why people don't work I still get a small amount of universal credit that covers my car insurance and phone and petrol and that goes down when they take the uprise away not surprised people don't want to work 

Dont know wether to carry on working or stop any advice would help 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Lisa £200 a month on gas/electric sounds high are you getting the best deal? Its always a difficult one when you get caught in the benefits trap, i.e no better off working.
    I think it's only a decision you can make, 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    £200 a month gas and electricity? That’s huge!
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree with @woodbine that amount for gas/electric is very high I must be very lucky mine is £62
    Is it that your council tax reduction has been taken away ? 

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Are you back at work Lisa ? That’s really good what do you do ? We pay bout 80 pounds a month for gas and electric council tax is bout 100 a month I think . 
  • Marie12
    Marie12 Community member Posts: 13 Courageous
    Have you used comparisons sites for things like gas and insurance?

To anyone feeling this way a boring note of caution that you could be sanctioned by universal credit  or on Jobseeker’s Allowance claim if you voluntarily give up work without a good reason. (I don’t mean if you are too ill, but something like resigning as not making much money might be an issue.) 
  • Lisatho11987777
    I don't have to work but I like working I was left in alot of debt when I lost my full time job due to getting corona virus  I was on nearly 2,000.00 a month dropped down to universal credit couldn't keep up with all my bills went on payment arrangements 

Sometimes it's not about how much money its about feeling better and my mental health I will have to see if I can cope its just stressful wondering 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @cupcake88 hi hope your ok yes I am working in a petrol station two nights a week i love xx
  • Lisatho11987777
    @janer1967 yes I have been told because I have part wages and part universal credit and pip I have to pay council tax I find it a bit mad as when I was on full wages and getting alot more money I was only paying 110  I am on less money and have to pay 139.00 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    The difference will be the annual increase in cost rather than what you earn 
  • MarkM88
    I would speak to your energy provider if you are paying back debt and ask to reduce the payments because at the moment you can’t afford to. 

I wouldn’t give up a job just because you are receiving less money from UC. 

Jobs have a lot of advantages including keeping you active, developing skills, gaining experience and improving physical and mental health. 

Would it not be wise to look at all outgoings and see where you can save? Put together a budget? Plus just make sure you are receiving all the help you can be receiving? 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @lisathomas50.
    When working on Universal Credit, your overall income will be higher but some people do find themselves worse off when looking at the bigger picture (taking into account things such as travel expenses, any loss of free school meals, prescriptions, childcare, dental, and increased Council Tax contributions, etc.). 

Looking at your specific situation and using the figures you've given in the past (wages of around £676 a month), this would be causing a deduction from your total UC of £241.29 a month. 

So your overall income now you're working is actually £434.71 higher. Even if we take away the £139 more you're now paying towards Council Tax, your income is still £295.71 higher now you're working than it was before.
    @janer1967 yes I have been told because I have part wages and part universal credit and pip I have to pay council tax I find it a bit mad as when I was on full wages and getting alot more money I was only paying 110  I am on less money and have to pay 139.00 
    There could be a few reasons for this. Obviously it's worth noting that Council Tax charges increase most years. It would also be worth carefully looking at the breakdown of income they've used and double-check they've applied any discounts you're entitled to. 

I noticed as well that you're paying quite a top-up on your rent. Have you ever looked at applying for a Discretionary Housing Payment? They're not guaranteed, but it could help with covering the shortfall between your Local Housing Allowance and actual rent. You can read more about them on Shelter.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    That’s so good that you enjoy it I’m longing to be well enough to work again maybe a little cleaning job will suit me . 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    When looking at Council Tax costs it's important to look at the annual amount you will pay rather than the immediate monthly amount. When changes are made part way through the year, partly because of the time it takes to change, the monthly amount can jump depending on the number of months over which the remaining amount has to be apportioned.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,681 Disability Gamechanger
    Council tax does charge more if your working, I did part time job and had to pay extra council tax. Was still better off working tho.
  • Lisatho11987777
    I was only getting 200 pound more working now its gone on council tax so now I am worse off 
  • monsieur
    monsieur Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    There is not any point in working, really... And i mean it, because my last job was in 2015... I am not on benefits... I camp in the woods so i do not have to worry about paying bills... Until some bad people will come there to cut all trees and destroy wildlife or they will decide to build another HS2 somewhere nearby... Lots of people jobs are basically about destroying the planet, like cutting trees down, killing animals etc. Is it better to have job like this or be unemployed??
  • MarkM88
    I was only getting 200 pound more working now its gone on council tax so now I am worse off 
    Is your council tax split over 10 months? Can you ask to have it paid over 12 instead? Are you getting all the deductions your entitled to? 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    If I could get the internet I’d camp in the woods too, also tv, heating, hot and cold running water, a decent bed, somewhere warm and dry for my clothes etc etc etc.

And if we all lived in the woods we’d cut down trees to build decent huts and kill animals to eat because berries ain’t so easy to find all year round. Of course the economy would collapse and we’d need to arm ourselves to defend ourselves from wandering bands of ne’er do wells who think they can just take what we have and not work for it the way we’d have to, ie steal our berries etc.

Intriguing idea though.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• tru88le
    tru88le Posts: 201 Courageous
    Anything is better than the dwp ruling your life
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    monsieur said:
    There is not any point in working, really... And i mean it, because my last job was in 2015... I am not on benefits... I camp in the woods so i do not have to worry about paying bills... 
    @monsieur Hello there, long time no speak!  How are you?  I hope you are keeping well :)

Although it sounds like you aren't alarmed by your current housing situation, I'm sorry to hear you have now become homeless.  How are you coping with getting food and drinks, and how is your overall health?  Do you have people who are supporting you?

To look at securing a home, I'd recommend speaking with the team at Shelter.  They have a free helpline which you can call on 0808 800 4444 between 8am to 8pm weekdays, and 9am to 5pm at the weekend.  They are expertly trained in this area, and will be able to run through your options.  I appreciate you don't have the worry of bills at the moment, but it's important to keep you safe, protected and warm before those colder, winter months approach.  

I'm going to email you now, just to see if we can help more, so please give that a read when you have time.  Take care.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness