Enhanced Mobility and PTSD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Enhanced Mobility and PTSD

LMD
LMD Community member Posts: 21 Connected
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Ive scored 12 points for planning and following a journey, But it states I cant follow a familiar journey without another person and assistance dog or an orientation aid? I do have to attend hospital appointment alone but have to use sat-nav and check the route ahead, Im always too early as I leave at a ridiculous time before I need too. I stated all this in my Mandatory reconsideration, but now Im scared. 

Comments

• LMD
    Also what is an Orientation aid, its states its not a sat-nav?
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Hiya ? sorry I'm a bit confused? You say you have already been given 12 points for planning and following a journey? Do you mean that's what you have been awarded already or what you think you should be awarded? 
  • LMD
    Hi Emily, Ive just been awarded it. Just read the letter and noticed this.
  • Emilyb81
    Ok so can I just ask why you are worried?  If you have been awarded enhanced mobility that's a good thing? ??
  • LMD
    Im confused as I do have to drive alone sometimes though, and I don't know what an orientation aid means? Im scared incase I get caught driving alone when I shouldn't? 

• Emilyb81
    Do you think you should not have it? 
  • Emilyb81
    Did you do mandatory reconsideration to get more points? Sorry trying to figure out what's happened ?
  • Emilyb81
    Ok for some reason I had commented before you replied so it's all getting confused now so sorry! 
    So you have been awarded enhanced rate mobility after doing a mandatory reconsideration? And you are now thinking maybe you aren't entitled to it right? Or you are concerned they will catch you driving alone is that how it is all the time? I mean did you tell them you can't go out alone sometimes?  
  • Emilyb81
    Ok for some reason I had commented before you replied so it's all getting confused now so sorry! 
    So you have been awarded enhanced rate mobility after doing a mandatory reconsideration? And you are now thinking maybe you aren't entitled to it right? Or you are concerned they will catch you driving alone is that how it is all the time? I mean did you tell them you can't go out alone sometimes?  
  • Emilyb81
    Did you happen to tell them it's makes you very unwell/anxious etc if you go out? And you depend on sat nav etc? ?
  • LMD
    Oh I'm horrendous I have panic attacks and then I can get angry I mainly have my teenage daughter with me.
  • Emilyb81
    There you go ?? so that's why because you are mostly unable to go out without help and get very distressed etc that's why you have been awarded those points? So it's ok hun? I am not exactly sure about the percentage but they say it only has to be most of the time I believe not all? Because people all have good and bad days but overall it's probably negative for you to travel? So I'm sure you have nothing to worry about hun! ?
  • LMD
    Ive been award it till 2031 Im just scared of getting a car on Motorbility and then losing it.
  • Emilyb81
    I am not an expert on any of this stuff sorry hun but I really don't think you need to worry because like I said before they look at your life overall and the majority of the time you are not able to do appointments alone etc? I can't say how they check or if they check on people but I presume even if worst case scenario happened you would just have to tell them why you were alone? But I am just guessing I haven't heard of this situation on here before? If they awarded you the money and for 10 years it really isn't likely you don't need it or aren't entitled to it? ?? It's great you had such a positive outcome with your MR ☀️
  • Emilyb81
    I am not an expert on any of this stuff sorry hun but I really don't think you need to worry because like I said before they look at your life overall and the majority of the time you are not able to do appointments alone etc? I can't say how they check or if they check on people but I presume even if worst case scenario happened you would just have to tell them why you were alone? But I am just guessing I haven't heard of this situation on here before? If they awarded you the money and for 10 years it really isn't likely you don't need it or aren't entitled to it? ?? It's great you had such a positive outcome with your MR ☀️
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Your award is based on how you are on the majority of days.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • LMD
    True I’m just so pessimistic. When things are going right something always messes up so that why I’m double checking everything, suppose the trust issues are part of my condition. 
  • LMD
    But I’d still like to know what an orientation aid is exactly 
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    The correct wording of descriptor 1f. is "Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid." 

Seems there's either been a typo in your award letter or you've misread it.   
  • Karawen
    Karawen Community member Posts: 61 Courageous
    Orientation aid to me means GPS/Sat nav, map/compass that kind of thing...

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.