Text from the GP & (semi) giving up drinking - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Text from the GP & (semi) giving up drinking

Options
2»

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    7.4 is pretty high is the GP putting you on statins to help lower it?, porridge is good got lowering cholesterol (but not in my case as I have far to much golden syrup on it).
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,579 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @janer1967 thanks, just been doing some reading on the NHS site, it's quite informative

@Ross_Scope thanks for that, interesting to read

@OverlyAnxious No I don't eat many eggs, I guess you are right that it is the alcohol

@woodbine they aren't putting me on anything at this point but they want to do more blood tests in a month to see if the change in drinking has an effect. Sadly I can't eat porridge, I love the taste but don't like the texture, but I did find some yoghurts that are meant to lower cholesterol so might give them a try :)

Thanks all, I appreciate the support :)
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,826 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    At least you know what the call was for, no more worrying about what it might be. I think once you've continued to lower alcohol  units, your tests may improve next time.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
  • 66Mustang
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Today is day 5 of drinking less.

Early days but I worked out I've cut my drinking by 78% on average - I am just having a small drink each day now for pleasure rather than the "medicinal" effects. I'm going for quality over quantity and bought a few small tins of craft beer and also had a cognac one day. For the cognac I used my jigger to measure out the portion so I know the exact unit amount of alcohol.

I have also been drinking lots of nice non-alcoholic drinks like fruit juices.

I made myself a Negroni today and decided it wasn't all that nice, honestly I preferred a nice sweet fruit juice, I deduced that previously I had been drinking it for the effect so it went down the sink. A bit of a waste but no point taking in alcohol for the sake of it. :)

I went to the supermarket today and I think I was the only one not buying alcohol :D 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well done keep it up 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang its always good to have a plan, you might have read a few weeks ago that I was cutting down on my smoking, was doing well but hit a few problems, now i'm back on plan.
    Remember we are all here to support you.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Hi @66Mustang - sorry for the late reply, but I've been spending so much time trying to help my son recently (major renovations to his home, co-ordinating my joiner & plumber + looking after his little dog, etc).
    Firstly, ever so well done on reducing your alcohol intake, & just enjoying a quality drink instead.
    Secondly, would it surprise you that I would advocate exercise, which will also help with weight loss?
    Eat more fibre; if you haven't already, try wholewheat pasta, brown rice, wholemeal bread. Drink more water too if changing to these.
    You are doing ever so well, & I have the utmost faith you will continue to do so......or else! :)
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @woodbine I heard about your smoking goal, but didn't know you had a blip, that's great to hear it is now back on track, well done with that :)

@chiarieds thank you for the tips. I do some light exercise daily - I walk the dog about 3-4 miles a day - would you say that's enough or should I be doing something that gets me puffed out? I will try eating more fibre. I actually have issues going to the toilet (IBS like symptoms) which I put down to anxiety so maybe eating more fibre will help with that as well. That sounds exciting with your son's house! I hope it's all going smoothly.

Thanks to you both for the encouragement :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @66Mustang - if you could increase the amount you walk the dog that would be great; see if you can do a little more each day. Thank you, my son's house is going well, but not without the odd hiccup & delays with getting his new front door, so they can't finish the cladding on his porch or get a roof over it.
    Anyway, keep up your good work. :)

Brightness