Text from the GP & (semi) giving up drinking - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Text from the GP & (semi) giving up drinking

2»

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    7.4 is pretty high is the GP putting you on statins to help lower it?, porridge is good got lowering cholesterol (but not in my case as I have far to much golden syrup on it).
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    @janer1967 thanks, just been doing some reading on the NHS site, it's quite informative

@Ross_Scope thanks for that, interesting to read

@OverlyAnxious No I don't eat many eggs, I guess you are right that it is the alcohol

@woodbine they aren't putting me on anything at this point but they want to do more blood tests in a month to see if the change in drinking has an effect. Sadly I can't eat porridge, I love the taste but don't like the texture, but I did find some yoghurts that are meant to lower cholesterol so might give them a try :)

Thanks all, I appreciate the support :)
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,789 Disability Gamechanger
    At least you know what the call was for, no more worrying about what it might be. I think once you've continued to lower alcohol  units, your tests may improve next time.
  • 66Mustang
  • 66Mustang
    edited July 2021
    Today is day 5 of drinking less.

Early days but I worked out I've cut my drinking by 78% on average - I am just having a small drink each day now for pleasure rather than the "medicinal" effects. I'm going for quality over quantity and bought a few small tins of craft beer and also had a cognac one day. For the cognac I used my jigger to measure out the portion so I know the exact unit amount of alcohol.

I have also been drinking lots of nice non-alcoholic drinks like fruit juices.

I made myself a Negroni today and decided it wasn't all that nice, honestly I preferred a nice sweet fruit juice, I deduced that previously I had been drinking it for the effect so it went down the sink. A bit of a waste but no point taking in alcohol for the sake of it. :)

I went to the supermarket today and I think I was the only one not buying alcohol :D 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done keep it up 
  • 66Mustang
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang its always good to have a plan, you might have read a few weeks ago that I was cutting down on my smoking, was doing well but hit a few problems, now i'm back on plan.
    Remember we are all here to support you.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Hi @66Mustang - sorry for the late reply, but I've been spending so much time trying to help my son recently (major renovations to his home, co-ordinating my joiner & plumber + looking after his little dog, etc).
    Firstly, ever so well done on reducing your alcohol intake, & just enjoying a quality drink instead.
    Secondly, would it surprise you that I would advocate exercise, which will also help with weight loss?
    Eat more fibre; if you haven't already, try wholewheat pasta, brown rice, wholemeal bread. Drink more water too if changing to these.
    You are doing ever so well, & I have the utmost faith you will continue to do so......or else! :)
  • 66Mustang
    @woodbine I heard about your smoking goal, but didn't know you had a blip, that's great to hear it is now back on track, well done with that :)

@chiarieds thank you for the tips. I do some light exercise daily - I walk the dog about 3-4 miles a day - would you say that's enough or should I be doing something that gets me puffed out? I will try eating more fibre. I actually have issues going to the toilet (IBS like symptoms) which I put down to anxiety so maybe eating more fibre will help with that as well. That sounds exciting with your son's house! I hope it's all going smoothly.

Thanks to you both for the encouragement :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @66Mustang - if you could increase the amount you walk the dog that would be great; see if you can do a little more each day. Thank you, my son's house is going well, but not without the odd hiccup & delays with getting his new front door, so they can't finish the cladding on his porch or get a roof over it.
    Anyway, keep up your good work. :)

Brightness