anybody been successful at losing weight? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

anybody been successful at losing weight?

Geegeenumber1
Geegeenumber1 Community member Posts: 1,066 Pioneering
hi all

i have been on a diet for years and have given up., i need motiivation to restart or concede giiving up. 
ive tried everything low fat, no carbs, no sugar, no alcohol, cheat day once a week, a mediteranean style diet, intermittent fasting , eating one or two meals a day, no snacking everything

has anyone found something theyve been able to stick to

i have bad knees and cant walk so exercise is difficult ive got some dumbells that i try and do alternate days but often feel too exhausted with all the weight im carrying around im about 7 stone overweight

i recently lost half a stone but since reiintroducing carbs i have put it all back on but know water is stored with carbs so some will be bloating

ive been using saxennda the weight loss injections from the pharmacy which cost a fortune and are supposed to suppress your appetite but im just as hungry as usual

the doctor hasnt found anything wrong with my thyroid etc

i was on long term anti psychotic meds for bipolar up until a year ago and think they have had a long term detrimental affet i also cant cry do not have any sexual feelings and cnat get drunk

i dont know what im hoping to get from this post reaolly just some support

i go on holiday in 5 weeks and am dreading getting on the beach even though once iim there im usually past carng as the beach is full of shapes and sizes

thnaks for reading

Comments

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there I my self are on anti Pychotics . So I know how much weight you can put on while being on them I put on 3 stone when I was on quatiapine . I did a shake diet for a week and lost quite abit of weight then my anti pychotic changed and I wasn’t feeling hungry as much I cut out fizzy drinks and in 3 months I have nearly lost the 3 stone I put on because of medication I have lost 2 stone . But I think that’s a lot to do with medication change , stress and I cut out the fizzy drinks . I also have a calorie counter app on my phone called nutra check it’s really good that’s also helped me with my weight loss journey hope this helps . 

I’m on two different anti pychotic medications but thankfully they don’t make me feel hungry like the other one did .
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi @Geegeenumber1, my son has lost three stones on the Slimming World diet and highly recommends it.

I, on the other hand, being disabled means that I have a more complicated challenge.
    I've been on steroids for 17 years and in that time had put on eight stones. I had tried to lose weight to no avail. 
    This year, I have lost around 15kg but that's not through a specific diet.
    I've had several admissions to my local hospital where vegetarian food is given in meagre portions so I actually lost weight. 
    I've also been taking a painkiller called Nefopam, which is definitely an appetite suppressant for me as a side effect.
    I've also lost weight because I've been in such severe pain that I couldn't bear to eat anything. 
    I don't recommend the above as ways to lose weight.
    I'd much prefer it if I could walk and walk my way to fitness. But every step is agony and I can't even walk to my kitchen. 
    Doctors forget that weight loss is much more difficult for people with mobility problems.
    If you have carers preparing your food, it's also more difficult to stick to a diet. 
    I must say that this year I have also gone off chocolate, I just can't bear to eat it, no idea why, though I've been diabetic now for around three years due to the steroids.

I hope you do find something that helps, maybe do try Slimming World. Good luck! 
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 346 Pioneering
    Hi,

I've always struggled with my weight as it goes up and down all the time, so I'm a nightmare for getting clothes as one minute I'm a large next minute i'm a small, but my weight loss is normally due to my crohn's disease.

I know anti-psychotic medication can make you put on weight and gives you a bad appitite, I have been on them since I was 17 and now I'm 30. I also don't drink (Don't like it) and have no sexual interest or desires I think I class myself kinda in the asexual catagory somewhere. I'm also very numb and struggle with my emotions, people see me as very cold and blunt but I have autism. however you might be right in saying anti psychotic's are contributing to it as well.

Best advice I could give you with weight loss is try foods that make you fuller for longer but also watch and count your calories. Also never skip meals, eat little and often. Skipping meals can actually make you put weight on surprisingly enough. Change the type of meals your having like more healthier options that are filling but also low in calories.

Also these things can sometimes take time, persevere with it as best you can and you'll not only feel better in yourself, but also will start to notice a difference in your weight.

Hope this helps.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    I successfully lost a lot of weight several years ago (20 stone down to 13 stone) but am now back up to a heavy weight again, but am slowly losing it.

I didn't go on any special diet, all I can say is that it is down to how many calories you take in. You need to burn more calories than you take in so fat reserves get burnt off. That's more or less all there is to it. You can make it as complicated as you like, go on all these sophisticated diets etc. but at the end of the day you just need to eat less.

Easier said than done I know!

What I would say is I find the first 2 weeks or so are the hardest. Once you get used to eating less it becomes easier. For this reason I wouldn't advocate a weekly "cheat day" as this resets the "cycle" and makes you want more food again.

I also agree you feel better when you lose weight so that's another reason to keep at it :)
  • Geegeenumber1
    i was tracking on myfitnesspal for months was below my calories each day just kept losing and gaining the same 7lb
  • Geegeenumber1
    thanks for all your address. Im now eating three meals a day and not cuttiing out anything - i was intermittent fastiing and low carbing for months and barely lost anything even on one meal a day

I use myfitnesspal

I have tried slimmingworld before it didnt work for me im glad it worked for your son

Yes its hard with the effects of the meds and not being able to exercose much when i get a mobility car i will go gym and swimming and get lessons/ a personal trainer (had one for 6 months years ago was v expensive but the best money i ever spent) to find ways to exerciose without using my knees in a bad way and I also lift weights at home

Its all just got so depressing with every waking moment spent obsessing about food and weight loss

im determined to enjoy my holiday no matter what i look like though

i put about 6 stone on in a year with anti depressants and anti psychotics but not been on anything for a year

i lost three stone in hospital as well so it can be done but ii was on different drugs then and like you i was barely eating - just rice and cereal was all we got in tiny portions

i agree that the first two weeks are hard but ive beenn dieting for years so im hardly a new starter

at the moment im off all dieting and just eating what i want - ive given up i think or maybe i just need a breaak from it as its messing with my head. it definitely makes you mentally depressed and you cant exercise to beat the fug

i cant believe even the weight loss injectuons have failed - other people seem to see them as a miracle i feel like there is something deeply wrong with my body 

but im really grateful for all your feedback thank you

• natz2009
    natz2009 Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    Half a grapefruit first thing in morning and last thing at night is grate for burning fat and hot lemon water is a waightloss helper and a bowel clenser i done this everyday with boiled chicken n salad for dinner n something light for brekfast went from 10 and a half stone to 8 stone 4 in 2 months also done some Shaun t 3 times a week for a little exersise nothing over the top just few dancing and exercises for 45 minutes worked a treat thats when i could dance cant anymore due to my illness deffo grapefruit tho such a good fat burner xx gd luck and wish you well xx
  • natz2009
    edited July 2021
    People lose waight in first 2 weeks and think its grate but what most ppl dont relise is u are loosing water retained from salt so first 2 weeks i dont count as you cut out salt n reduce ur sugar so ur losing the water that the salt retains in ur body so keep that in mind to so for the first 2 weeks ppl think oh im losing loads n then it slowes down and ppl get put off from trying as it gets harder after that i always try and boil and steam everything ive never went with any diet websites or anything like that i just done my own reserch and planed my own meals ect xx gd luck keep going even if u lose a pound its still an achievement be proud of urself xx
  • Geegeenumber1
    thank you yes the water weight you lose in the beginning gives you a false idea of success, all ive done since eating carbs again is restored the water that is stored every time you eat carbs 

im just gonna eat three moderate meals a day and if my body wnats me fat theres not much i can do about it lol
  • natz2009
    Lol nothing wrong with it its ur body be proud of it xx but yes grapefruit is really gd its a little hidden gem i call it lol xx
  • 66Mustang
    edited July 2021
    To be honest I have no issues with being “fat” myself as far as body image is concerned

As long as you can do what you want to do and are healthy and happy

I go for a 3-5 mile walk each day and it doesn’t make me tired, that’s more than some “thin” people (able bodied, no health issues) I know of are able to do who will get in the car to go less than a mile!

I just want to lose weight for health reasons if I can
  • Geegeenumber1
    well ive given up for now

we will see if motivation kicks in again

• natz2009
    I am 8st4 and about 4ft10 and i cant even make it up my stairs when im having a bad day so i totaly agree with that if your happy with your body (im still deeply body conscious ) then thats all that counts xx
  • 66Mustang
    @natz2009 glad you agree and hope you didn't take offence from my comment about skinny people who are not able to do much - it was aimed at people without any disability who don't do much through choice, not people with a genuine reason/issues - I'm sorry to hear you have trouble getting up the stairs.
  • Geegeenumber1
    i cant walk but can lift weights and will swim and go gym when i get my mobility car next month

i cant do stairs either but luckily live in a flat at the moment
  • 66Mustang
    I bet you are looking forward to getting the car @Geegeenumber1 :)
  • Geegeenumber1
    i cant put into words lol will open the world up again
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,738 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi everyone, I'm trying meditrainian  not diet but way of eating better, I'm hoping to up my nutrients, but also that it might trim me down too. See how it goes. Good luck.
  • natz2009
    No no affence at all @66Mustang i know exatly what you are saying my opinion why should people be defined by what a scale says if you are happy then thats what counts if it aint broke dont fix it females are to hard on themselves i say all this but i still hate my body xx
  • Duninn
    Duninn Community member Posts: 184 Pioneering
    edited July 2021
    works every time?

Brightness