How not to start a week.. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How not to start a week..

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
edited July 2021 in Coffee lounge
Was never going to be a good week as its senior managements mum's funeral on Friday, but loosing the football last night didn't lighten the load.

However what has had me incandescent with anger has been the racism shown towards the three England players over the last 24 hours, the likes of facebook etc really need to get a grip and stop this in its tracks, yes social media can be a force for good but when it's bad it can be pretty evil.

And how some low life could deface the Marcus Rashford mural in Withington is beyond belief after all the good the lad did last year to try and end childhood food poverty. Nice to hear that in a few short hours £18,000 has been raised to repair the damage.

End of rant. 
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @woodbine

I'm sorry this week looks like a tough one for you  :(  I'll be thinking of both you and senior management on Friday and hope the funeral goes as well as it can.

Yes, I'm wholeheartedly in agreement about the racism faced by England players since the defeat.  It's not acceptable, has no place in the modern game (or anywhere else for that matter) and deserves the widespread condemnation its been met with.  The lads did us more than proud and the prejudicial attitudes of this minority bring to the fore a need for accountability and education.

I hope today's a better day and treats you well.  Look after yourself.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    edited July 2021
    I don’t follow football or have any interest in it. 

However after I read all the online reports about the racism it really affected my mood yesterday to know that was going on. It’s absolutely ridiculous. 

I’m sending my kind thoughts for Friday and hope it’s a good send off. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    I heard about the mural and the money raised for it too. I heard somebody sum it up nicely on the BBC radio where they said there are clearly more good people about than the bad people. Hopefully this gives some consolation at least.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
           We will never get rid of the evil in this world, we just need to try and rise above it.
  • woodbine
    I saw earlier that they had repaired the mural, and that hundreds of people had turned up not just locals but from London and in one case Ireland.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    My thoughts will be with you & senior management on Friday; you know what it's like, & will be able to support senior management so much through this, tho it won't be an easy day.
    About football, in itself it's just a game, but the Euros have lifted many of this nation's spirits, so all credit to the England team; must admit one of my favourites was Raheem Sterling....what a little pocket rocket. I didn't know about the racism until you posted, but read about it online last night. Marcus Rashford is an amazing person, never mind a footballer, & I hope the lovely messages left on his mural show that we see such a person. Thankfully it's just a minority that are racist, but that doesn't help Rashford, Sancho & Saka, who just did their best as other England players would have done, & it must have hurt.
  • woodbine
    Thanks all for the good wishes for Friday, i will be reading the eulogy, not something i've ever done before, but it's ll written and ready, at least the weather forecast is good, nothing worse than a wet and windy day to say goodbye to a loved one.
    One more hurdle to jump on Thursday as SM has to see a consultant after an urgent referal from her dentist for a mysterious lump that appeared on her tounge a few few weeks ago, fingers crossed its not more bad news !

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh @woodbine - hoping all is well with senior management. Last week I saw an oral surgeon after a telephone assessment (& that after a dental referral). The oral surgeon said dentists have to refer if any concerns....mine is a small white patch on the soft palate, which could be pre-cancerous, so I have to have a biopsy 'just in case,' tho she thinks all will be well. She also looked all around my mouth & tongue, saying under the tongue would have been more of a concern. I suppose it's great that all concerns are looked into, but it's a difficult time to get through until you know all is well.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I will be thinking of you Friday  xx

Brightness