People wrongly assessed after high court rulings. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

People wrongly assessed after high court rulings.

cat_hug
cat_hug Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
Hi everybody,
I was on the phone with Pip yesterday and asked how they are identifying people wrongly assessed under the PIP high court ruling who may have missed out.

I ask this not just for myself but I have a friend who is in an even more dire situation than myself.

The pip advisor told me this doesn't apply to me, as I was transitioned from DLA in 2018 and the high court ruling was in 2016.

My understanding however, is that MA case was heard in 2016 and another, known as RJ was in 2017.

My recollection of this news is that it didn't really become public knowledge about the possible numbers of people adversely affected who may be owed back pay as a result?

I find it impossible to believe that individuals have been assessed properly immediately following these rulings?

I'm not sure what year my friend was assessed but it was quite a while before me.

My question is, is it only people assessed in 2016 or earlier perhaps who may have missed out? Which is what the pip advisor tells me.

I just find it very hard to believe that all of the individual people assessed since that ruling, had their cases looked at by DWP with the MA  ruling in mind.

What then of RJ case? Which unless I'm wrong was heard and decided in 2017? 

Does it seem impossible that local DWP and ATOS or capita centres, won't have still made rulings that were based on guidelines before MA and RJ?

We still hear horror stories of the draconian treatment of people with disabilities in 2021.

I know my hearing didn't consider these rulings, as I made the huge mistake of citing them in my appeals, which really seemed to tick the judge off at my FTT. ( she virtually flung the pages across the table asking 'where did I get these?' 

Any advice on this appreciated, if only to be able to help my friend or others, who scored zero points, despite 3 strokes, a serious back injury that left him unable to do his previous job as a mechanic, nor much else as he can't sit for too long and can't stand for long either as well as suffering severe right sided weakness from his strokes.

Thanks in advance if anyone can advise?
Cat xx

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    I was getting interested until you said and I quote  "We still hear horror stories of the draconian treatment of people with disabilities in 2021."
    That isn't the experience of the majority of disabled people.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• cat_hug
    @woodbine I'm glad that you haven't experienced adverse treatment and that you can 'beg to differ.
    You must live in area where services and support of people with disabilities are exceptional.

In my opinion, that is the exception and not the rule. As @Username_removed said, read a few pages of Disability News Service and see if you still feel the same.

Mike has spent years working to support and advise people with disabilities and has seen first hand probably every horror scenario you could or could not imagine.

Best wishes and enjoy your day. We will agree to disagree ?

Cat
  • cat_hug
    @Username_removed
    Man knows his onions. Like I said ?
    Cheers Mike. Another great source of info and help
  • woodbine
    I simply voiced my opinion based on my experience and the fact that out of millions of claimants many have a good experience of the system, but i'm close to giving up on here probably because i'm a glass half full sort of guy despite some of the low key bullying that's creeping into this forum (and i'm not particularly refering to this thread with that comment but other very recent ones).

• woodbine
    cat_hug said:
    @Username_removed
    or seen another way he has his opinions ?

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I think there can be no doubt that there are many what we could describe as "horror stories" out there, but that there are also many untold positive stories as suggested by @woodbine, nobody is incorrect here and all opinions are relevant.

If you want to get in touch with us @woodbine about your feelings that there has been bullying on the community lately, please send us an email to community@scope.org.uk and let us know about your concerns. We'd be happy to discuss anything that's worrying you.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
  • woodbine
    Thank you Jane, I was beginning to think it was just me  :/

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine
    Hope everything goes OK for you and sm tomorrow you will be in my thoughts x 
  • woodbine
    janer1967 said:
    @woodbine
    Hope everything goes OK for you and sm tomorrow you will be in my thoughts x 
    thank you if it all goes according to plan all should be ok, but will be a difficult day for SM, but of course I'll be there to support her throughout x

• cat_hug
    woodbine said:
    cat_hug said:
    @Username_removed
    or seen another way he has his opinions ?
    Fair enough.
    Best of luck for today. Sounds like you have something iimportant happening (reading between the lines of Jane's comments) so sending best wishes for a positive outcome. ? 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @woodbine :) Thanks for explaining that. As I'm sure you can imagine, tone can be quite difficult to manage on an online community, as people will interpret written text in different ways, and different people also have different styles of communication. I'm also sorry to hear you don't feel as though threads are always shut down quickly enough. I've popped you over an email.

If anyone else has concerns over bullying, moderation, or any other community-related issues, please feel free to email us on community@scope.org.uk.

We're keeping this thread open for now in case anyone has any further thoughts on @cat_hug's question.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.