Finding it hard right now — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finding it hard right now

kidsareus
kidsareus Community member Posts: 28 Listener
Hi everyone I’ve been diagnosed with server depression,anxiety and have so since as long has I can remember which is about 20yrs I’m 40yrs old I’m on strong medication for this along with chronic pain medication 200mg antidepressants 600mg pregabilin zapain quetiapine morphine patches 15mg . I’ve been to doctors and under the mental health and pain management but nothing seems to be helping with my mental health side of things I feel low every single day I’ve got no motivation and when I do get some all I think about is sleeping I always sleep in the afternoon for 3 hours religiously but I don’t to sleep my brain is set in some kind of clock that when that certain time come I have to sleep I really want to change and get better but something in my brain is stopping me I hate being like this especially being a mom to teenagers it’s very hard because I never want to do anything and when I do all I think about is getting back home to sleep I’ve tried downloading apps and audio but I’ve got no concentration so I forget what I’ve just listen to half of the time ,I’m truly lost within myself I’m in a bubble and won’t let no one in I feel like I’ve got no soul or even feelings anymore . Thank you for listening hope someone could help me 

Comments

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    Hi,

I'm sorry your not feeling too good at the moment, I know anti-depressants can make you drowsy as most are a muscle relaxer, mixed this with morphine which also makes you drowsy and your body will simply need sleep. Also anti-depressants and any anti-psychotic drug can make you feel numb and souless but some are better than others and its about finding one that works best for you. It took me years to find one that worked best for me.

I know anti-depressants and anti-psychotics are different but they share similar qualities and side effects and both work on chemical inbalance in the brain,

Have you discussed your side effects with your doctor? as maybe its worth looking at different medication and one that doesn't make you feel so drowsy, but most likely these feelings and sleep is due to the medication your on.

Hope this helps.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kidsareus :) I'm also sorry to hear that you're not in a good place at the moment. I think it's really positive that you're getting some support from the pain management team, as well as for your mental health, even if it's not working as well as you need at the moment. Thanks for reaching out to us, as I know it's not easy to do.

I agree with rubinheath16 that it'd be worth speaking to both the doctors that manage your pain medication, and the ones that manage the medication you take for your anxiety and depression. Unfortunately, these medications do often have negative side effects, but that doesn't mean there's not anything that can be done. I'd encourage you to discuss this with them so that they're aware of how you're feeling at the moment, and can help you explore whether the medication might be causing some of this sleepiness, lack of concentration, and feelings of emptiness. 

Have you spoken to your mental health team about how things have been for you more recently? Are they able to offer you any other support, such as talking therapy? 

Are your kids aware that you're struggling at the moment? Are they able to help around the house with daily tasks?

Those feelings of emptiness and lack of emotion are really common in people with depression. It can feel awful, but there are ways of alleviating that sensation and it doesn't have to last forever, however much it feels like that sometimes.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kidsareus - I'm so sorry you're finding it hard right now, but thank you for telling us about it. I think it was Tori that posted about a very good website a while ago, & I read some of the links, which I hope you will have a look at too. Please see: https://www.blurtitout.org/resource/understanding-depression/
    There are other links you might want to look at on this site.
    Hope some of this helps. :smile:
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Sorry to hear how you are feeling. 
    I wouldn't beat yourself up about going out with your teenage kids 

I'm a single mum to teenager and tbh he prefer to be with his friends or on his xbox 

It's just they are growing up and not as reliant on parents anymore 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kidsareus :) I just wanted to check-in to see how you've been doing since you last posted? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness