I hope the DWP experience a massive change — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I hope the DWP experience a massive change

Options
soundfader
soundfader Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I really do hope the dwp experience a massive change and that all disabled and vulnerable get a fair weekly benefit we are in reality getting two thirds less the national average wage but somehow expected to live the same as everyone else

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I must admit that I find my benefits enough for us to live on.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• aagirl84
    aagirl84 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 8 Connected
    Options
    If you don't mind my asking, are you on UC, got that change up look forward to, and I struggle on my ESA and PIP, since I am plunged into debt by social care charges,  hope all is well with everyone,  aswell as it can  be(!)
  • woodbine
    Options
    aagirl84 said:
    If you don't mind my asking, are you on UC, got that change up look forward to, and I struggle on my ESA and PIP, since I am plunged into debt by social care charges,  hope all is well with everyone,  aswell as it can  be(!)
    still on legacy benefits and i know when we change to UC we will be worse off, if you need help with debt speak to these people:
    https://www.stepchange.org

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    woodbine said:
    aagirl84 said:
    still on legacy benefits and i know when we change to UC we will be worse off, if you need help with debt speak to these people:
    https://www.stepchange.org
    Shouldn’t be worse off initially because if you manage migrate you will get transitional protection - but that will effectively freeze your benefit for quite some years and the spending power will erode over time.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    Options
    Capital limits will mean we won't get UC whereas I currently get Cont.based ESA.

• calcotti
    edited July 2021
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Capital limits will mean we won't get UC whereas I currently get Cont.based ESA.
    Sorry, i took your earlier post to mean you would be moving to UC rather than that you would not be able. I know we are going off track for OP but your contribution based ESA will not end As it is not affected by UC. It is true that you are getting Tax Credits then you will lose out if unable to move to UC because Tax Credits will end,
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    Options
    calcotti said:
    woodbine said:
    Sorry, i took your earlier post to mean you would be moving to UC rather than that you would not be able. I know we are going off track for OP but your contribution based ESA will not end As it is not affected by UC. It is true that you are getting Tax Credits then you will lose out if unable to move to UC because Tax Credits will end,
    thanks for that, always assumed that having more than 16k in savings would end ESA when UC reared it's head.
    Sorry OP to hijack your thread

• aagirl84
    Options
    I personally don't think StepChange are that helpful, don't get me wrong, I know it depends whom one speaks to, but I found it to be pretty judgemental, if honest 
    Fortunately I have friends from church who are CAB and ex citizens advice, and have I personally Have experience helping people with their ESA forms, like echoed on here, dreading being on UC when that occurs,  was hoping to go back to university when restrictions allow
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    Options
    woodbine said: thanks for that, always assumed that having more than 16k in savings would end ESA when UC reared it's head.
    Sorry OP to hijack your thread
    UC only replaces means tested benefits. Contribution based ESA is not means tested and is not ended by UC rollout. It will continue as a non means tested benefit and therefore capital limits not apply. Even if you were moving to UC the ESA would become new style ESA and continue in payment and be deducted from the UC amount.
    For those who never move to UC, whether or not all remaining contribution based legacy ESA claims will at some stage be converted to new style claims i don't know but even if they are that would not end your entitlement.
  • aagirl84
    Options
    Well, I only have a tendency to help, or advise,  not a professional or anything,  and would never claim to do so! All  I can is speak from experience!  
  • soundfader
    soundfader Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    It’s definitely good to talk guys it helps us all out for sure, I was put on esa income related about 3yrs ago my current situation is that I have muscular dystrophy from birth I’m wheelchair bound and have very limited use of my arms due to the disability I have a wheelchair on the motability scheme soon getting a new one on scheme, I personally think that disabled people on esa get a rough deal we are punished because we can’t work, every **** put in charge of dwp has screwed it up and often made things worse but I guess that’s life.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If the uprise stayed on its easier but if the uprise comes off then people will be alot worse off  but wether you work or you don't alot of people are liveing below the poverty level 
  • woodbine
    Options
    Our son got the £20 UC lat year, my advice to him was spend half of it and save the other £10 that way for however long it was in payment his would twice as long.
    At the end of the day it was only ever a temporary uplift.

• aagirl84
    Options
    @woodbine very good advice to save where and when can, if one is able,
    @soundfader couldn't agree more, it helps to share with those who know exactly what we are going through 

Brightness