Do you think they might increase the lower savings limit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you think they might increase the lower savings limit?

Options
Aella
Aella Community member Posts: 23 Connected
Like we can technically have £6K before it starts affecting our benefits and £5500 before we have to start declaring it.  Although in reality this means we need to keep it below £5K so that when we get our DWP payment it doesn't go over the limit.  This is such a low amount, especially if you're saving up for something like a treatment or medical device that is not available on the NHS.  For some reason persnioners are allowed £10K before it starts affecting their benefits, which seems like unfair age discrimination to me.  Do you think this lower limit will be raised?  Is anyone interested in writing to their MPs asking for it to be raised?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Aella said: Although in reality this means we need to keep it below £5K so that when we get our DWP payment it doesn't go over the limit.  
    That’s not correct. Your benefit payments do not count as capital when they are received. They only become capitalist here is anything leftover at the end of the payment period.
    Aella said: Do you think this lower limit will be raised?  
    The amounts have been unchanged for many years. Logically they should be inflation linked but any change seems very unlikely to me in the near future. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I first started claiming benefits around 24 years ago, at that time the lower capital limit was £3,000 I can't remember when it was doubled to £6,000, I suspect that increasing it will be well down the list especially when national debt is 99.8% of GDP.
    As for pensioners and their £10,000 limit you are comparing chalk with cheese i'm afraid.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Aella
    Aella Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    well, I did write to my MP about it being raised.  The MP for the DWP said that £6K is a "substantial amount" and they have no plans to increase it.
  • richardcave
    richardcave Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    get rid of the savings limit completely for all disability benifits  the poitical elite have no Idea what barriers we face everyday I think it is unjust that we have to tell them what we have got saved it is degrading 
  • calcotti
    edited August 2021
    Options
    get rid of the savings limit completely for all disability benifits  
    The benefits officially classified as ’disability benefits’ are DLA, PIP and AA and do not have any savings limits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Username_removed said: So you’re okay with millionaires claiming benefits?
    They can of course, rightly or wrongly, claim disability benefits in accordance with the rules and contribution based benefits.
  • richardcave
    richardcave Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    yes if they have a disability why not I have autism so I do have a disability it should not be about how much money you have every time they look at each claimant to see how much they have in the bank they could pay four people yes it may leave a sour tast in the mouth if million airs get it but they do anyway it is oly the poor with a bit more than the limit that they bully 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    yes if they have a disability why not I have autism so I do have a disability it should not be about how much money you have every time they look at each claimant to see how much they have in the bank they could pay four people yes it may leave a sour tast in the mouth if million airs get it but they do anyway it is oly the poor with a bit more than the limit that they bully 

I've never felt bullied.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,434 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
        I'm grateful they allow anything, I've worked all my life till 3 years ago so it good to know I can have savings to use for things I need. 
  • calcotti
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Addressed to @richardcave rather than your good self @calcotti
    I realised that - just making the point that, whether or not Richard thinks millionaires should be able to claim benefits, they are allowed to claim certain benefits and he is wrong to refer to means testing of disability benefits,

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.