When will my first LCWRA payment be? How does back dating work? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When will my first LCWRA payment be? How does back dating work?

Options
Bandittt
Bandittt Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited February 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi

So I've been going to doctors since November 2019, I first handed in my fit nite on UC on 20th November 2019, I kept handing in fit notes from my doctor until last month, I've pretty much been able to get keep up the fit notes except there's 2  1 month gaps in 2020,that's because my doctor was off and one appointment was cancelled due to coronavirus. After a while of handing in fit notes my work coach sent me the medical form to fill in, I sent it off on 3rd November 2020, and on 11th February 2021 I got a note in my journal to say I've been awarded LCWRA. My universal credit is paid on the 5th of every month, so will my first LCWRA payment be 5th of March or 5th of April or when? Also, how does the back dating work? Will they back date it to my first fit note and not pay me any backdate during the 2 month gap period, or will they backdate it to the fit note I provided after the gap?

Thanks in advance this is confusing. 

Comments

• Bandittt
    Options
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I’m sorry your message got missed. I did see it the other day however have no clue regarding LCWRA. Hopefully someone with knowledge will come along and help you. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Options
    The LCWRA element is payable for the fourth complete assessment period after a health condition is notified supported by Fit Note.

You are paid on the 5th so your assessment period is one month from the penultimate day of each month.

if you notified on 20th November 2019 then, if DWP have accepted illness from that date, LCWRA would be payable from 5th April 2020 and you will be entitled to arrears.

Whether or not DWP will penalise you for gaps in your Fit Notes I am not sure.

A twelve month wait for the WCA is a long time but that may be a result of the gaps in your Fit Notes.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Bandittt
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies it helped me. Because I've been providing fit notes for a long time, does that mean I will receive my first LCWRA payment on 5th March or will I have to wait until 5th April? Also how long does it take them to pay back dated money?

Thank you 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

It depends when DWP have decided your claim starts with the gaps in fit notes as to when first payment will be 

If they go back to when you declared condition if it is all sorted you should get it in march payment,  check your statement when it is available 

I would also check old statements as when they sort it they will change old statements too to reflect the extra payment so this will indicate your back pay is being sorted 

It can take a while to get back pay if you dont grt it within 6 weeks I would give them a call 
  • naveed1981
    naveed1981 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hello, did you get your lwcra backdated? How long did it take?
  • Jlee
    Jlee Community member Posts: 40 Listener
    Options
    Can you get universal credit ,lcwra , and esa does anybody know ????
  • calcotti
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Jlee said:
    Can you get universal credit ,lcwra , and esa does anybody know ????
    You can receive contribution based or new style ESA as well as UC. The ESA received is deducted from the UC so the total money received is the same as just claiming UC but it can still be sensible to claim the ESA if eligible.

LCWRA is just part of the UC entitlement calculation, it is not a separate benefit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Jlee
    Options
    But u ain't no better of so ain't no point is there 
  • calcotti
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Jlee said:
    But u ain't no better of so ain't no point is there 
    Financially that is initially true but ESA gives Class 1 NI credits rather than Class 3 and protects against a future change of circumstances such as if you became part of a couple when the earnings of your partner could end a UC claim but would not affect ESA.
    ESA is paid fortnightly which some people prefer.
  • Jlee
    Options
    Ok thank you 
  • tesscall
    tesscall Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    Hi all new here ? I passed my work assessment on the 20th August have been awarded lcwra I have been handing in fit notes from the 4th may I get UC on the 6th and 20th of every month when will my lcwra start as haven't got a clue . Thanks 
  • janer1967
    Options
    Hi your payments start from the 4th full assessment period after reporting the condition 

Not knowing all your dates as uc is usually paid monthy  up you say you get paid twice per month 

It will be either in Sept 20th payment or Oct 6th not 100 % sure 
  • tesscall
    Options
    Hi yeah I have my UC split rather than paid once a month , the lcwra is not mentioned on my payment for the 20th so am assuming wil be October then 
  • tesscall
    Options
    Does lcwra get back dated from your first fit note or does it just start from the 4th full assessment period ?
  • janer1967
    Options
    Just from the 4th month after reporting your medical condition 
  • Trez_1973
    Trez_1973 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi am trez, just wondering if anyone can explain this for me am I due backdated money from lcwra 

The letter posted into your journal (UCD81) on 28 August outlines that you have been awarded LCWRA. It is mentioned within this letter that you will receive an additional element 3 months (relevant period) after the date in which you gave evidence of your health condition. This date would be 11 March.

As mentioned, you had to serve the relevant period of 3 months in order for the additional monies to be paid. 

This is how LCWRA on your claim has been worked out: 

2 March to 1 April 2021 – Awarded LCWRA 
    2 April to 1 May 2021 – relevant period (month 1)
    2 May to 1 June 2021 – relevant period (month 2)
    2 June to 1 July 2021 – relevant period (month 3)
    2 July to 1 August 2021 – 1st LCWRA payment set for this assessment period

For the backdated payment. There was only one backdated payment - this was for the assessment period 2 July to 1 August. Any further payments of LCWRA will be included in your normal award.

On 6 September, a further letter was posted into your journal (UCD172) outlining that you had been underpaid due to the backpayment of LCWRA. Mandy mentioned this within her journal message to you too. A payment was issued to you and was credited to your account on 8 September. 

Your LCWRA payments are included within your Universal Credit award and you will be able to see this on the statement. 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,014 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    According to what you posted here you received a payment into your bank on 8th September which was the money they owed you for 1 month of backdated money. There is a 3 full month assessment period waiting time and payments then start form the 4th month.
    Without knowing the exact date you reported your health condition it's not possible to give further advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Trez_1973
    Trez_1973 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    15th March 2021
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,014 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Trez_1973 said:
    15th March 2021
    Then DWP are correct, your AP 2 March to 1st April doesn’t count. You received the correct amount of backdated money.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.