Our shops are starting to reopen! | Having a clear out? Save it for Scope — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Our shops are starting to reopen! | Having a clear out? Save it for Scope

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team

A Scope image depicting a woman looking through clothing in a shop

Our shops are starting to reopen from 15 June, so it’s nearly time to bring in those items that you cleared out during lockdown! Now more than ever Scope shops need your donations so we can be there for disabled people.  

This year there is a significant shortfall in donations to Scope because our shops have been closed. We urgently need to generate 150,000 bags of donated stock, which will raise £2.2 million. To help solve this problem, we are running a campaign called Save it for Scope. 

Every donation we receive raises vital funds to enable us to provide practical advice and emotional support to disabled people and their families when they need it most.  

You can also support the campaign by telling friends and family and sharing it far and wide on social media. 

To find out more visit scope.org.uk/shops 

Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    We always give what we have to charity shops sadly scope doesn't have a shop where we live.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Adrian_Scope
    Scope reopens in Oxford - BBC 1 South Today:

One of our Scope area managers, Sarah Fisher, recently spoke about the reopening of the charity shops, at the newly opened Oxford shop. (9.25 into programme)

Community Manager
    Scope
  • JaneCambs
    JaneCambs Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    I have never seen a scope shop, and lockdown might of eased for some but not for us. I have plenty of things to get rid of though, someone is welcome to collect it. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @JaneCambs, I'll see what I can find out about collections for you. For future reference though, you can find your nearest Scope shop on our find a charity shop near you page.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Theres one very close. But I don't go out. Also, there's so much they don't take,  not least for lack of space.  

I wish the half dozen shops in this high street would work together.    I have in mind an antiques warehouse using a large exhibition space such as an abandoned office building or shop,  where a seller gets a commission but overheads are reduced and customers get wide choice, not " we don't  take electrical", or "we don't  have space for wheelchairs/furniture etc" or " we don't take toys or baby stuff" " we put everything straight in the bin if it's left on the doorstep" . 

Often, they have notices saying they cannot accept any donations at all, because therey have too much to be sorted..  Usually, half the shop is 'out the back' where  staff and volunteers go through bag after bag after bag,  with nearly everything going into the palladins, often perfect, clean, expensive  stuff which has broken some rule.

( Some prestige baby buggies cost almost as much as a car, but  are destined to be just an annoying way of filling the bin, which the shop pays to have emptied, as commercial  waste) 

I lived where four charity shops stored bins, and often gangs would throw everything out, to recover what they could sell at bootsales or markets or on ebay.   Charity shop volunteers  could have done that, given the chance.  As I passed the bins, I sometimes used to simply move some of the  charity reject beautiful stuff nearer to the pavement,  writing the word 'Free' on a bit of card, so passersby would soon take it.  Better than throwing in landfill, why not have a 'free'  method of disposal?

The tiny charity shops don't  lend themselves  to social  distancing, so they will indefinitely be a drawback for donors, customers, volunteers and paid staff .

P.S. One worrying thing is people helping wreck the planet by spend spend spending avoidable consumption,  then fooling themselves they need not have any conscience,  because they use charity shops as an intermediate stage to landfill. 
    In fact, some managers say people dump obviously worthless junk in a bag, even nappies or filthy underwear or torn stuff all rammed in together  with reasonable  clothes

• vicki1977
    vicki1977 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I am willing to clear out my loft of toys and clothes, books. I have had 4 children and now grandchildren but I am disabled and cant get out. Is there any way you do pick ups or where can I get bags to fill up ? 
  • serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    I have a bag of nice items for my local scope shop...
    need to find out what the process is really...there was an article somewhere that said charity shops feared lots of donations after people clearing out items, as they do a tidy up during lock down ...sounded a bit like they feared being inundated...not sure 
    maybe it would help to have details on web sites of individual Scope shops ...
    just checked the web page for the local one here .nothing listed as yet, although it says open at 10am today ....will check it out !
    thanks for reminder :)
     :)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    pleased to pleased to say I popped round to local scope shop recently and gave my bag of goods in... :)
    it’s nice to see shops opening again...
     :)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Thank you for your donation @serenity2. I hope you enjoyed your experience. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Wini1960
    Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    Hi #Adrian_Scope I live in Milton Keynes and I'm not sure whether we have a Scope shop. I have two daughters and the amount of clothes they have could fill a shop? I do have mild agoraphobia and I.dont drive but if we have one I will get my husband to drop off items. Keep up.the good work.
  • CoffeeFirst
    CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    I love a good clear out and always give to Scope and Mencap.

Brightness