Triple lock broken — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Triple lock broken

Options
leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
Ms Coffey says
"So tomorrow, I will introduce the Social Security Uprating of Benefits Bill. For 2022/2023 only, it will ensure the basic and new state pensions increase by 2.5% or in line with inflation - which is expected to be the higher figure this year.“

This is supposed to be for one year only.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not at all surprised an 8% rise in pensions would be lovely but the country can’t afford it and the pandemic has changed the way the end results have came into being. With more and more people likely or expected to be made redundant the fall out and cost to the government and the only revenue coming in is from those working it’s a lot going out and very little coming in. 
  • leeCal
    Options
    Very true @Teddybear12, I agree that the country can’t really afford an eight percent rise but we pensioners do actually pay tax, VAT for example.

We are now left with a rise of either 2.5% or the rate of inflation if higher which is forecast to be between 3 to 4%. So all is not lost so to speak.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I suppose the 8% was never going to happen and it only come about due to furlough ending and people wages going up from 80% to 100%..

I think the 1.25% increase in employees and employers n.i. and share dividends is long over-due, we have to find a fairer way of funding care for the elderly. The first major tax rise in decades !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• foxuk
    foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    Options
    The thing that gets to me is that people have never paid for their own pensions in the past.

Pensions have been paid for by the working population.

My grandparents didn't pay for pensions or the NHS as the system didn't exist when they worked. My parents paid for my grandparents pensions and NHS treatment as they believed that my generation would and did pay for theirs.

My generation are now being told we should have paid not only for previous generations but for ourselves as well and not be a 'burden' on the current working population.

There was an implied contract that if we paid for pensions and care of others whilst we worked our pensions and care would be paid for by future generations.

I am afraid it is really that simple, we are no longer getting the pensions and care we have already paid for as all the money has been spent in tax cuts and dividends.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    One of the downfalls of the change in 2015 where people over 55 could take all their defined cont. private pensions is going to mean that more than in the past people will only have their SRP to live on, I suppose we can't have it both ways.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    Options
    I don’t have a works pension and just rely on the state. ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said: I think the 1.25% increase in employees and employers n.i. and share dividends is long over-due, we have to find a fairer way of funding care for the elderly. 
    As far as I can see the money raised will largely go to protect the assets of wealthier pensioners, there doesn’t appear to be any extra money to directly fund care itself.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The money isn't actually going into the care itself its trying to help people who have property and money that is used to pay for their  care so inheritance is lost and property to the care system 

What I found unfair as a working carer is that the carers get little pay even though the company's carers work for get lots of money 

Hypothetical  synario  carer works a waking night company get 300.00 a night carer only gets paid 50.00  some carers are on minimum wage  and work hard whilst the company's sit back and make loads of money out of the elderly and the disabled 

Brightness