Coffee machine recommendations — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Coffee machine recommendations

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,566 Disability Gamechanger
edited September 2021 in Coffee lounge
My coffee machine has broken and I am looking to replace it.

Of course I will do my research but I thought I’d ask here as well to see what people have and look for opinions.

I currently have a Tassimo and have not really had any issues with it up until now. I’d have another one despite it breaking as it’s had heavy use to be fair.

The other main brand I’ve seen aside from Tassimo is Nespresso. We had one in a holiday home recently and it was really good. Does anyone have one of those as I’d be interested to hear your long term experience of it.

I wouldn’t mind if it made hot chocolate as well but that’s not a deal breaker.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @66Mustang

I'm also keen to find out what other members think, as I have been considering getting a coffee machine for quite a while. I like my coffee, but I'm not sure how much having a machine enhances the experience?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I have the dolce gusto pod machine would recommend you can also use pods from asda and aldi and I would imagine other places 
  • 66Mustang
    Hi @Ross_Scope

I think I can answer the second part of your query.

Unless you are looking at semi pro machines at £500ish or more, I don’t think they actually enhance the coffee experience, they are more just for convenience.

I personally have one in my room for the said convenience so I don’t have to go down to the kitchen to get water from the kettle, milk etc. as I find this difficult.

If you are currently making coffee with a cafetière or something else and are happy doing so, I would stick with it :)

Someone may prove me wrong but this is how I understand it. 
  • 66Mustang
    janer1967 said:
    I have the dolce gusto pod machine would recommend you can also use pods from asda and aldi and I would imagine other places 
    Thank you, I’ll have a look at those online :)
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    I have a great coffee making machine.
    It's called 'Me' ?
  • 66Mustang
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,777 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    I've got best coffee machine today :) at costa
  • 66Mustang
  • 66Mustang
    I’ve done a bit of research and am erring towards a Nespresso at the moment. 
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    @66Mustang
    Good luck with your searching. I hope you enjoy the one you choose.?
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I was interested in a machine a while back but when I saw the price of pods etc I changed my mind. I’ll stick to the jar of Kenco and the spoon. 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    You could always just use a French press...with ground coffee...
  • 66Mustang
    Cress said:
    You could always just use a French press...with ground coffee...
    I think you must have missed the post where I said I find it difficult to go to the kitchen and get water from the kettle etc., but you are right if all options were available I would go for one of those, but I am looking for a machine for the convenience :)
  • Cress
    Sorry @66Mustang
    I was aiming that comment at @MarkN88 :)
  • 66Mustang
    Cress said:
    Sorry @66Mustang
    I was aiming that comment at @MarkN88 :)
    Ahh my mistake :smile: sorry
  • lemurlover
    lemurlover Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    A bean to cup machine is absolute the way to go. The delonghi esam 4200 is probably the cheapest recommended one, going for around £230 at Christmas time. If you are rich I’d be happy to recommend others. Pod machines will never be this good. 

It absolutely improves your mental health, gives structure to your morning, and is cheaper than instant! One way I can tell I’m not doing well lately is my machine has been sitting idle for months. 
  • Cress
    I was never that fussed with coffee when I had instant...I now have a sage coffee machine and it makes lovely coffee and gets plenty of use...
    Can't really afford it but I seem to be very bad at buying things I don't need at the mo...I need to get a grip of it before I'm snowed under....lol
  • 66Mustang
    @lemurlover thanks for the recommendation. To be honest £230 is a bit out of my price range (I’m definitely not rich lol) as I was expecting to spend £100-150 but I will have a look at bean to cup machines anyway to see if I think I can justify the extra money.

@Cress haha good for you as we only live once right. I’m the opposite as I only buy things when I really need them and/or the current one is broken. Apart from whisky I don’t really treat myself, maybe should try it a bit more. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    I have a Tassimo one, and it's a bit annoying that you pretty much have to use the branded pods. I agree that getting one where you can use own brand or a wider range of pods would be wise! That being said, I do like my Tassimo one. It's never broken, and I only buy the pods on sale.

@MarkN88 I agree with @cress that a cafetiere/French press could be a good middle ground. I used one of those before I got my coffee machine as a gift, and you can get tasty good quality coffee that doesn't have to cost the earth. If you like a frothy coffee, you could also buy a milk frother. Again, they don't have to be expensive, and I love the one I have. If you like flavour in your cofees, you can also buy your own syrups, like the ones they use in coffee shops. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • rudolf
    rudolf Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    I like the De Longhi espresso make with the milk heater/frothier built it. Model number 

EC230.BK 

Makes a great coffee especially if you use Lavazza Espresso coffee.

Brightness