FND and brain injury from carbon monoxide poisoning — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

FND and brain injury from carbon monoxide poisoning

Celestite
Celestite Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, my name is Celestite!

I was wondering if FND can be triggered by carbon monoxide poisoning or any toxic substance. I was breathing low level carbon monoxide poisoning for a couple of months and did not know. CO alarms do not sound at low level, my alarm sounded when it reached a very high level and I collapsed. This happened to me in 2014.

Many GP appointments been told I was depressed really upset me.  

If carbon monoxide is so toxic, I cannot hep but wonder if it can trigger FND

I was diagnosed with brain injury secondary to carbon monoxide poisoning and suffer with multiple neurological problems in 2020. Only after having to fight to see a neurologist. MRI brain scan show brain lesion that can be associated with carbon monoxide.

Are there any other people who experienced carbon monoxide poisoning who developed FND. Is there any medical evidence anywhere that would suggest it can be a cause?

If there are any links or websites that cover information such as the above I would appreciate if you can help me please.

Yesterday I seen a new neurologist who diagnosed FND.  I was so shocked that  forgot to ask if FND can be triggered by carbon monoxide poisoning.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @Celestite good afternoon and a warm welcome to scope, non of us are medical experts and for that reason we never give medical advice, A quick google for "FND" came back with a number of suggestions.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Celestite welcome to scope. I think  the best person to ask would be your neurologist As they  may have the answers. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Celestite - & welcome to the community from me too. Here's a link about FND that I hope is helpful, & that says anyone can get it:  https://www.fndaction.org.uk/   As above, I would also suggest you discuss this with your neurologist. If you don't have an appointment for a while (& something I've done in the past), you could try ringing the hospital, & ask to be put through to your neurologist's secretary, then ask your query about carbon monoxide poisoning & FND. Then, when you see your neurologist again, he will hopefully be able to answer you.

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Celestite said:
    Hi, my name is Celestite!

I was wondering if FND can be triggered by carbon monoxide poisoning or any toxic substance. I was breathing low level carbon monoxide poisoning for a couple of months and did not know. CO alarms do not sound at low level, my alarm sounded when it reached a very high level and I collapsed. This happened to me in 2014.

Many GP appointments been told I was depressed really upset me.  

If carbon monoxide is so toxic, I cannot hep but wonder if it can trigger FND

I was diagnosed with brain injury secondary to carbon monoxide poisoning and suffer with multiple neurological problems in 2020. Only after having to fight to see a neurologist. MRI brain scan show brain lesion that can be associated with carbon monoxide.

Are there any other people who experienced carbon monoxide poisoning who developed FND. Is there any medical evidence anywhere that would suggest it can be a cause?

If there are any links or websites that cover information such as the above I would appreciate if you can help me please.

Yesterday I seen a new neurologist who diagnosed FND.  I was so shocked that  forgot to ask if FND can be triggered by carbon monoxide poisoning.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Hi @Celestite :)    

I just wanted to check in to see how you're getting on?

Did you make any progress with the connection of FND and carbon monoxide poisoning? Did you manage to speak to a professional about your concerns? I'm sorry that we couldn't answer your question but the below resource might be helpful for you in the meantime:

If you have any further questions or queries, please just let us know :)  

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • LouRoots8
    LouRoots8 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Hi
    FND  label is often given as a fob off. FND should only be given when there is no medical / biologic reason for your symptoms. Although often people are given this without appropriate work up. From what you say there are reasons for your symptoms. 

FND can be triggered by any neurological event. A stroke for example. So could technically be triggered by the carbon monoxide poisoning. Although it’s hard to tell what is caused by brain damage or an emotional response. 

FND means that it’s more of a psychological response then a organic one. Personally I think it’s rubbish. If you have legions on your brain that is causing your issues not FND. 

I believe FND is over diagnosed. 

Have you asked your neurologist why they think you have FND? 

Ask them what caused your legions? 

If you are not happy ask to see someone else. 
  • Celestite
    Celestite Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your post.
    I agree with you, I believe FND is been used as a diagnoses even though my first neurologist diagnosed brain injury with multiple neurological symptoms from chronic carbon monoxide poisoning.

The second neurologist tried to play down my chronic symptoms from carbon monoxide blaming it on FND. White matter lesions are seen on my MRI brain scan, these lesions can be seen in people who suffer from carbon monoxide. 

He gave me FND websites to look at, said he would see me in 8 weeks. That was 5 months ago. I am still waiting to see him.

But I have been doing a bit of research on FND sites. I read that a neurologist can take years to diagnose FND on  FND Action Home Page - FND Action
    It left me confused because this neurologist diagnosed me within one consultation.
    I want to question him and then I will make a point that he is using FND as an excuse.

I have never had a doctor give me websites to check out like he did, what kind of way is that to treat people. But I have heard that some neurologist do this all the time.

I want to see him, I have many questions for him especially where he got the FND idea from. 
    I have no choice but to wait for an appointment.

Thanks again 

Brightness