I have fibromyalgia, spinal cyst, IBS, anxiety and depression. I might have to stop working — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have fibromyalgia, spinal cyst, IBS, anxiety and depression. I might have to stop working

Lallysmum2030
Lallysmum2030 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2021 in Work and employment
Hello lovely people, 
I’m new, hoping I can feel less alone by joining here. 

I’m a part time dental nurse, I really love my job. 
I’ve had fibromyalgia for years but was only diagnosed a few years ago. I was awarded the disability part of universal credit for limited capacity to work, back in 2018. 
As well as fibromyalgia I have a cyst in my lower spine, IBS, anxiety and depression. 
I’ve been told I’m a really upbeat person and I love making people laugh, even if it’s at me! I feel that not everybody has the privilege of growing old. 

But, my pain has been getting worse, my sick record is getting bad again at work, I’m struggling to walk up and down the stairs to my flat (I’m hoping I will be moved to a ground floor flat) 
today I had to finish work early, my mum picked me up to take me home to my flat, the pain in my back was unbearable. I cried, sobbed. I’m fed up. I want to work and make a difference to others. But it’s looking increasingly likely that I will have to give up my job. How will I have any purpose in my life? How can I be part of the world? 
I’ll be able to manage my condition better. But how will I mentally cope? 
Thank you for listening x

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community Feel free to join in or ask any questions 

It is difficult to finish work and takes a while to adjust bur you will over time and wonder how you found time to work 

You can take up hobbies,  study  writing anything you have interest in 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lallysmum2030 - & welcome to this friendly & supportive community. I'm so sorry to read how much pain you're in, & hope, perhaps, today is a better day for you. Have you discussed the pain you're suffering with your GP? They may very well be able to help you with this.
    About work, which you obviously enjoy so much, have you considered fewer hours, or discussed 'reasonable adjustments' with your employers to see if they can support you in staying on at work? There's some info about this here on Scope. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/work-careers/reasonable-adjustments/
    Some other help on Scope is employment services, if you're unable to carry on at work. Scope helps disabled people find a job. Remember, you will have many transferable skills. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/
    You might also like to try & help people by being active on this community whenever you feel able, & have some spare time. You would relate to others that have your disability, & your wanting to make a difference to others would shine through. You would be very welcome. Do kindly let us all know how you get on. My best wishes. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected

Hi @Lallysmum2030

A warm welcome to the community, it’s lovely to have you here.

I’m sorry to hear about your current situation, and hope you are managing ok. I hope some of the resources shared in the previous post may be of use to you, as you think about your next steps.  It sounds like you have a real passion to make a difference, and a great personality - whatever you pursue, I'm sure you have plenty of transferable experience and qualities to offer.

Please do keep in touch, and let us know if you have any further questions.  

In the meantime, feel free to explore the rest of our community.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community from me too @Lallysmum2030 :) 

As the others have said, there are plenty of ways to help people online, and to find value and worth in other things if you end up stopping working. Have you considered looking into any remote (e.g. online) volunteering opportunities? 

Do you feel as though you're receiving enough medical support to help you manage your conditions at the moment, including your anxiety and depression? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Not directly related to your question but have you ever looked at whether PIP is relevant to you?
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness