I have a question about PIP — Scope | Disability forum

I have a question about PIP

System
System Posts: 633

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is Munch2006!.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,772 Disability Gamechanger
    There’s currently huge backlogs because of obvious reasons, so you’re not the only person that is still waiting. The letter you received is a standard letter sent to everyone, although I agree that it’s a rather pointless letter. 
    Current waiting times are about 10
    months in total and they are prioritising new claims over reviews and change of circumstances. 
    Unfortunately all you can do is wait, j know that’s not what you want to hear but there’s nothing more you can do. Hopefully not much longer. 

• poppy123456
    I'm not an organisation, i'm a disabled person who claims PIP just like yourself and i'm definitely not giving you any excuses. I know you don't want to hear it but delays cause backlogs and Covid is no exception to that. DWP workers have been working from home, the same as the health assessment providers. There's nothing we can do about backlogs.

The HCP that did your assessment does not need to have any specific medical knowledge in any conditions. The report they write is their opinion based on your PIP form, the evidence you sent and your assessment. You are not the only person claiming PIP and waiting for a decision, there's 1000's of other people too.

A case manager or the HCP doesn't need to have any medical knowledge, this is because PIP isn't about any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Not being able to use public transport because of risk of infection due to Covid is unlikely to score you points for following and planning a journey, if this is the only reason you're unable to follow the route/plan a journey.
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,431 Disability Gamechanger
    @Munch2006, I know you are upset by the delay in receiving your PIP award notification letter. The DWP as you must know sends your application details to one of two assessments companies who undertake the assessment process on behalf of the DWP. The assessments are designed to ensure you are incapable of coping and managing the PIP activities and descriptors safely and repeatedly and in a timely manner. The so say trick questions are asked to make sure you have tried or fully understand the questions and answers you submitted and answered at the assessment. After the assessment the HP will submit a report with recommendations of your abilities to the decision maker at the DWP who may or may not agree with the recommendations by the HP.  In the bigger picture your one in many 1000s who are waiting for assessments or award notification letters. I expect you have read or seen online posts about PIP. You can claim PIP for this or that but no actual information on the process or criteria for claiming or details of the PIP descriptors. Have you requested a copy of your assessment report and on receiving it you can workout what your award may should be but you still have to wait until you receive the official award notification letter.
  • poppy123456
    Munch2006 said:
     It would be nice to have factual information and not opinion.
    The point we're trying to make is there's no timescales. DWP will tell you an average guide but backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed. It would be totally impossible for anyone, including DWP to give you an exact timecale.
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry you feel that way but i'm not sure what else you would like us to say. It's certainly not anyone's fault that backlogs occur.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 2,006 Pioneering
    Munch2006 said:
    You are stating the obvious. Thanks, but I will not continue this.
    It’s a waiting game. End of. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.