No more delivery ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No more delivery ?

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
Morrisons are to stop delivery services from 50 stores, they say that people are returning to shop in store, thats as maybe but the fact is that all the supermarkets make a loss on delivering, as an example we are having a delivery from Ocado tomorrow the delivery charge is £1.99 and for that someone has to pick and bag the order, then someone has to deliver it.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @woodbine, that's a shame for those who shop at that particular supermarket but hopefully isn't a sign of what might happen with others. Does Morisons sell through it's own website or just through Amazon? Or both? I only ever see it advertised as being on Amazon
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,016 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morrisons are very much in demand here for delivery, as such, it's hit and miss if you get a slot. They would be foolish to do as you suggest.  People will just go with who they can get a delivery with. Its not cost effective for me to go in store, as I would use public transport at a cost of 7 pound. Usually get a delivery for 2.50.
  • nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    Morrisons are very much in demand here for delivery, as such, it's hit and miss if you get a slot. They would be foolish to do as you suggest.  People will just go with who they can get a delivery with. Its not cost effective for me to go in store, as I would use public transport at a cost of 7 pound. Usually get a delivery for 2.50.
    I agree sandy123, it's short sighted of them. I usually shop with Morrison's but since the middle of last year I have shopped with Iceland because they were able to offer deliveries during lockdown. They still do free next day delivery if you spend a minimum amount. Sometime you can get same-day deliveries if you order early in the morning. If they can do it why can't other supermarkets?
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    @nannymaroon I've always said that about Iceland, they kept to their deliveries normal, next day, all the way through.
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    I think its a bit short sighted to stop deliveries.  What happens when, like me, you cannot physically shop in store?  I'm on crutches permanently, and even then walking is incredibly painful and I can't go far, so pushing a trolley and taking things off the shelves is a definite no.  Plus, how do I get it from the store to my home?  I live alone and have no one to shop for me or accompany me in store.

If they stop deliveries in my area then I'm afraid they'll lose my custom as I'll be forced to shop elsewhere.
  • woodbine
    edited September 2021
    Options
    This will likely be a consequence partly of their sale and partly to the fake petrol crisis. When they likely discover people aren't actually driving to their supermarkets there will doubtless be a rethink. It's hardly going to be part of a trend.  
    It's a decision made before the petrol "crisis", a shareholder vote on the takeover will take place on 19th October, so not yet a done deal.

Upto 1400 jobs are at risk, although some maybe offered other roles where avaliable.

• Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Options
    I use Tesco for deliveries and the Tesco driver told me that petrol is not an issue for them as they hold back supplies for their delivery drivers.

I have a priority slot with Tesco but it is easy at the moment to get non priority slots . All I needed to do to get a priority slot was a call to go on their priority disabled list . You just have to be available for a full morning or afternoon if you are on a priority slot but that is not an issue for me.

If any of you are concerned about deliveries Tesco may be an option . They sometimes don't deliver milk of bread etc because of supplies and shortages but it is a lot easier than shopping on crutches and it is always a revelation to see what is missing from the shopping list 
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    I do prefer morrisons, (1) because they still deliver in bags (2) very rare substitutes because they deliver from the warehouse. (3) they sell foods that others don't that I want. However that said, if push comes to shove.
  • woodbine
    Options
    The takeover is indeed not a done deal but you can guarantee that this refocusing is related. At the end of the day it’s 50 stores and 1,400 people; USDAW are heavily involved and it’s foreseeable that, having postured, it simply won’t happen.
    I'm not sure it's quite that simple, Morrisons seem to be saying that people are returning to shop in store and therefore are cutting back on their delivery service. Non of the supermarkets make much if any profit from delivering groceries at the same price as they sell them for in their stores, the only model that works well is Ocado, who are more expensive than the big 4 and don't have physical stores to support.
    Delivering groceries has exploded during covid, this move by Morrisons could be the first sign that the explosion has fizzled out.

• woodbine
    Options
    You maybe right Mike you maybe wrong, only time will tell, Morrisons is the fourth largest grocer with a 10.4% market share, something Aldi is fast catching up on, the big advantage Morrisons have is that they own around 90% of their estate.
    Personally we have shopped with Tesco Asda and Ocado in the last year and Ocado is by far the most expensive in our opinion, but we like Ocado because they deliver M&S, weren't so keen when they delivered Waitrose.
    i suppose like many things in life its horses for courses. :)

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Amazon deliver my morrison shopping 

Brightness