Petrol rationing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Petrol rationing

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
The EG group which operates 400 forecourts has announced a £30 limit on customers excluding emergency service workers, as motorist start to panic buy fuel ,due to a small number of forecourts running out due to lack of delivery drivers.

It should be noted that there is no shortage of petrol or diesel.

The govt. is considering issuing visas to HGV drivers from outside the UK and or sending in the army to drive fuel tankers.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    No panic buying here, in fact I went out for a drive yesterday just for fun.

The queues for the petrol stations that I went past were long. One was backing up almost onto a dual carriageway - a bit dangerous.

If people didn’t panic buy there wouldn’t be an issue!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    The £30 cap might be a good idea in principal, but when you put an artificial limit on something, you're perpetuating the notion of scarcity which tends to encourage panic-buying anyway.
    I'm down to well under quarter of a tank (poor planning on my part!) but don't have the time, nor inclination to queue halfway around town, so the kids might not be going to school next week!

Maybe we'll get lucky and find 100,000 new HGV drivers by the start of October! :wink: 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • woodbine
    If you think about it all these people who have filled their tanks in the last couple of days won't need petrol for a week maybe two so demand will slow down soon.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    I went to see a friend this afternoon and although i do have just over half a tank of diesel i thought i'd call into Asda just to fill the tank up... my idea soon went out the window when i realised it was closed because they'd completely sold out of all fuel. I did drive past a few petrol stations with people queuing but i'm not going to be joining them anytime soon. Ridiculous!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bumbles
    Bumbles Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    came back home from visiting our son late last night - (well 1 am this morning) the garages that were open had hardly any one filling up
  • snailpace
    snailpace Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    @woodbine I don’t personally drive, but I have heard about how people have started panic buying, which takes me right back to the beginning with groceries. There is no need to panic buy, I’ve seen my mum today and she said there are queues outside the 3 petrol stations she passed on her way to mine. People should think about each other and pull together.
  • woodbine
    The lest pull together ship sailed at the end of the first lockdown, never to sail again probably.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Maybe they should get people off the dole put them through the test and get people employed  boris cant back track and now say they can use temporary EU drivers he wanted out  deal with it boris

My petrol station ran dry in 8 hrs absolute  mayhem  and ridiculous people swearing at us whilst we were trying to work and deal with cars trying to get on the petrol station 

Tomorrow we have a delivery and it will happen again but because loads of petrol stations need delivery's  it will cause more problems trying to get round them all so it will take a whilst now to get it sorted 
  • woodbine
    Next door neighbour tried Sainsbury's, tesco and an esso station this morning, non of them had and petrol, a situation caused by panic buying.
    The government are now going to issue temp.visas to 5,000 drivers that will expire on Christmas eve, a drop in the ocean when they tell us we are short of 100,000 HGV divers.

• Lisatho11987777
    Thats an assumption  Mike and discriminating  and those people most of them drive cars alot of people had jobs and list them due to brexit and corona virus people aren't qualified here because the government used drivers frim abroad  now the prime minister is back tracking and wants to use EU drivers  

The government need to spend money on training people so the UK has qualified workers ithe UK wanted out of the EU now they have to sort it out 
  • woodbine
    edited September 2021
    Unfortunately @lisathomas50 literacy levels in the UK are so poor now that you’d do well to find many benefit claimants in a position to do the written element of any tests.
    I think thats more than a little harsh and certainly uncalled for. 99% of people in the UK can read and write.

• MaisieBoohoo
    MaisieBoohoo Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    @lisathomas50 I think though if all the unemploymed people had wanted this job, they would have been pro actively doing something about it now. Same as with fruit pickers/ meat processors etc. Certain jobs are not popular and frankly pretty rotten jobs, so you ca see why. Government definitely do not want to bring foreign drivers in, they have no choice, but listening on LBC this am, they really don’t want to come, so no need to worry. However we will see more and more shortages 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @MaisieBoohoo can't keep back tracking and asking EU drivers to help we are out the EU its only a temporary measure and those that  will  come and drive will charge a higher price the UK wanted out they have to get people qualified in the UK  

The government need to pull their finger out and train people to drive tankers and hgv lorries and to do everything else the UK relied on the EU for 
  • woodbine
    @lisathomas50 I think though if all the unemploymed people had wanted this job, they would have been pro actively doing something about it now. Same as with fruit pickers/ meat processors etc. Certain jobs are not popular and frankly pretty rotten jobs, so you ca see why. Government definitely do not want to bring foreign drivers in, they have no choice, but listening on LBC this am, they really don’t want to come, so no need to worry. However we will see more and more shortages 
    some of these jobs are short term and if our unemployed signed off UC they would be scared that they would have to go through re-applying and a 5 week wait, make that obviously more simple and I think many would take up these jobs.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Those people on the dole ? Is that not a very old term for unemployed 

Some are not unemployed through any fault of their own and would no doubt be grateful of a driving job 

How are they supposed to come up with the cost of training to become a hgv or tanker driver 
  • MaisieBoohoo
    MaisieBoohoo Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    @lisathomas50
    i think you think there are a wedge of EU drivers waiting to come back here to work, and frankly they can pick and choose work in EU wit a lot less hassle than coming here for 3 months.
    as people have said, how are the out of work people who can work…health wise, going to fund the cost of training…
    so maybe some will find a way, but I can’t see a ton of young people wanting to be away for nights on end, sleeping in cab beside the road and struggling to find toilets and showering.
    I can safely say we will never fill 100,000 vacancies like this, the same for chicken pluckers, and flower or fruit pickers. No reason why these jobs have not been taken by UK citizens…..hence we need to go begging to EU for them too
  • woodbine
    On the news earlier 125,000 drivers short in Poland and lots of other EU countries are sort by 75-100,000 so I cant see any great rush of drivers wanting to cross the channel for 3 months work.

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    …..hence we need to go begging to EU for them too
    .. or other parts of the world.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness