Petrol rationing - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Petrol rationing

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Sandy_123 said:
    4000 training places will be offered and training will take around 12 weeks, so not much help in the run up to Christmas, the government is running around like headless turkeys (you remember turkeys we used to eat them at Christmas?)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,681 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    @woodbine it's a very good start isn't it. At least it's not just being ignored. 
    As for turkeys there are lots already in the supermarkets.  Failing that plenty chickens, lamb, pork, etc. Personally I don't mind eating vindaloo as long as family is sat behind a plate.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
             You can teach someone how to pass a HGV test, it doesn't make them a haulage driver, that comes with experience.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,681 Disability Gamechanger
    @vikingqueen that's the same with any job, everyone has to start somewhere, even the experienced people in any profession started with none.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Gave a couple of links above Mike, but presumably no-one bothered to read them. They state,
    'People with low literacy skills may not be able to read a book or newspaper, understand road signs or price labels, make sense of a bus or train timetable, fill out a form, read instructions on medicines or use the internet.'

'In England, adult literacy is often referred to in terms of ‘levels’ – for example, a 2011 government survey of adult literacy skills found that 14.9% (or 1 in 7) of adults in England have literacy levels at or below Entry Level 3, which is equivalent to the literacy skills expected of a nine to 11-year-old.

More recently, in 2015, the OECD conducted its Survey of Adult Skills, known as PIAAC (Programme for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies). This survey found that 16.4% (or 1 in 6) of adults in England, and 17.9% (or 1 in 5) adults in Northern Ireland, have literacy levels at or below Level 1, which is considered to be 'very poor literacy skills.'

• MaisieBoohoo
    MaisieBoohoo Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    @calcotti yes totally but realistically distance plays a large part…I can’t see folks coming from India or Australia for 3 months work..namely because most HG drivers are in jobs, so why give up fot 3 months work and go back to no job?
    I also heard o. Radio that people remembered Manston airfield last Xmas and he said, all the “ good jobs are filled here” so you would come over and get the jobs people are not keen to do….
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    @calcotti yes totally but realistically distance plays a large part…I can’t see folks coming from India or Australia for 3 months work..
    My comment wasn’t intended to refer to 3 month short term visas - I frankly can't see the attraction of those to people from Europe either. My comment was aimed at addressing longer term labour market issues.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @lillybelle yes I know but the government are going to help get people qualified  to drive tankers and hgv and some company's are giving incentives  to try and attract people 

So far 5 people in my area have signed up yo do the qualifications do that they can get permanent jobs 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @janer1967 the government are putting money into it to get people qualified five people here start their training here next week people are comeing forward wanting to train 

The EU drivers will only be a temporary measure until people in UK are trained 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @vikingqueen thsts why they need to teach to get the experience otherwise this will just carry on they have not many trained drivers in the UK most of the drivers were in the EU every one starts from scratch and has to qualify even drs nurses and every one else 
  • Lisatho11987777
    You misunderstand you said most people on benefits are illiterate  I know three hgv drivers who aren't very good at reading and writing and have been driving lorrys for ten years 

To be fair it's no point saying anything its discrimination 
  • Lisatho11987777
    I know plenty of people who drive or ride motorbikes and drive  tankers that aren't good at reading and writing and still got jobs same as mechanics and delivery drivers I didnt say there weren't any your makeing out that everyone on universal credit can't read or write properly and saying they couldn't do the job

We have had people in parliament who can't read and write properly  our tanker driver is foreign he can't read or write in English but can still do his job 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Good job you and Mike don't employ these type of people then and there there are empowers out there that give people a chance lots of people with learning disabilities work lady in Swansea who is down syndrome works in a bank been there 10 years lovely lady 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @lillybelle thank goodness then that others don't think its so ridiculous  people on universal credit are jumping at the chance here in wales and where I live 5 people including two women have already signed up for the training 

If the UK doesn't want to keep going cap in hand to the EU  then people in the UK need to start training to be qualified for the jobs and build back the UK  young people should work and not think everything is paid for by someone else my grandson is 18 with learning disabilities and has bagged himself an amazing job that pays 1800 after tax and national insurance 

The UK people need to pull their finger out stop complaing about everything and do something about it 

Yes there are people who truly can't work I have a disability and I work and I study psychology with counselling and I look after my mum who has dementia  and I am 58 and worked since the age of 16 and had children 

All my eldest children work and my grand children that are around the same age 18 to 22  I have 12 grandchildren all work two are hgv lorry drivers started recently as not long passed their test  one of my daughters drives for Warburton bread  delivery's they are short of 160 drivers 

You are right about EU drivers they won't want to come  here for 3months  and I don't blame them 

I can only drive up to 19 foot which is the length of my campervan  I would love to drive the lorries and tankers and I would of been one of the first to sign up to do the training and the test 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    From the reports that we've received around this discussion thread, I think there may have been a bit of a misunderstanding.

I don't think anyone is saying that everyone on benefits is illiterate, or can't work, but instead that we (in the UK) do have poor rates of literacy and there is a link between literacy and barriers to employment. 

Driving a HGV and a petrol tanker isn't the same as driving a car or a motorbike. Training a new driver is a long and protracted process with a number of tests involved that would not necessarily be accessible to everyone.

Going back to the original topic, the queues and the panic buying only seem to be getting worse in my area. My neighbour had to abandon her car while queuing outside Tesco yesterday! Fingers crossed things start settling down soon.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Does anyone know if petrol stations sell toilet roll? (I’ve never actually been in one, always use pay at pump.)

They could make a killing selling to the panic buyers when they go in to pay for their fuel :D 
  • woodbine
    So, people arguing about literacy levels who didn’t understand the point being made. Er…
    An argument it seems that you started Mike ??
    However it seems this morning that petrol shortages are getting worse, but it should be remembered there is No shortage of fuel only delivery drivers.
    I like some of you lived through the early 70's when there was a shortage of petrol, wasn't much fun.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    We drove a long way yesterday and lots of motorway services were out of fuel but at least overhead signs were informing drivers of the approaching services supply or if no fuel 
  • woodbine
    I refuse to be drawn into an argument with you Mike, you have your opinion I have mine.

The military have been used recently in England and Scotland to help out the ambulance service, and did it escape your notice that over 1000 helped with the Kabul evacuation? many of them having just returned from Afghan went straight back !

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi everyone,

This is just a reminder to keep all comments civil. It's okay to disagree and have a debate, but we expect all comments to remain respectful in tone. As stated in our house rules
    Please make sure your messages respect others’ views and suggestions, even if you do not agree with them.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness