State pension increase — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

State pension increase

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
Whilst the triple lock has been abandoned for next year the Bank of England is forecasting inflation will be 4% which is what SRP will increase by, the biggest increase in a decade (source Daily Mail )

That will mean an increase of around £7 a week on the post 2016 unified pension.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    There’s also the winter fuel payment which will be sorely needed this year more than ever.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    £7 a week should be in line with inflation at 4%.

• woodbine
    The new SRP could end up being £187 per week, for a couple thats £374 per week, fuel prices will be going up around £3 per week, and they get the winter fuel payment of £100-£300 a year.
    Pensioners get a far better deal than almost everybody who lives on in work benefits.

• woodbine
    I'm fast approaching SRP age myself, however I maintain that under the present and recent tory govts. pensioners have had a far better deal than any of group of "benefit" recipients, with (the exception of 2022) the triple lock, whereas most other benefits have been frozen or had minimum increases for years now.
    I don't have any mentality of the kind you seem to suggest I have Mike.
    What I do know is that when I do get my SRP it will be significantly more than the benefit I get now, in fact it's forecast to be around £100 a week more than my ESA.

Brightness