What would you miss ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What would you miss ?

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
With all the talk of rising energy cost and even the possibility of power cuts, what would you miss most if the lights did go out for a few hours? 
Speaking personally if I had a candle and a good book I'd be ok.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I'd miss my heating, I struggle to maintain a body temp above 35.5 so no heating could be very dangerous for me.

As with most central heating systems, it requires electric to run the gas boiler.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
                 Nothing really, I'm quite content to just sit with my kindle.( until the battery ran out that is )
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I could manage a few hours but would miss cup of tea if lasted any length of time 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Username_removed flask only any good if you have already made the tea b4 power cut for those of us all electric 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Simple one for me: I’d miss the lights. I like being able to just flick a switch to illuminate a whole room. 

But really I think I’d be OK.

I have a laptop so that will last me for a few hours and I can pass the internet from my phone to my laptop so I’m OK there.

A nice single malt can keep me entertained - I’ve learnt to make a dram last an hour or more…of course no one knows how much volume a “dram” is…could be half the bottle…:yum:…but seriously though I can make 1 serving (25ml) last an hour or so :)
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @woodbine
                             This is a great question, I think I would be able to manage, however, I would worry about the fridge after a while as medication is stored in there. Thanks
  • nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    I'd miss the heating and internet.
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Few hours during the day I'd probably be fine with the laptop on battery power and a jigsaw puzzle, may be able to get outside for a bit as well.  

Not so keen on it happening after dark though.  I can't focus on screens in the dark so laptop wouldn't be any good then.  Jigsaws clearly no good in the dark either lol.  I've got a small portable radio in the kitchen that I use on mains power, I could put some batteries in that to use.

I think the main thing I'd miss if after dark is the bathroom light!! :| 
  • woodbine
    WestHam06 said:
    Hi @woodbine
                             This is a great question, I think I would be able to manage, however, I would worry about the fridge after a while as medication is stored in there. Thanks
    As long as you don't open it a fridge should be ok for at least 4 hours.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    If you've got temp critical meds in a fridge it might be worth investing in a fridge thermometer. 

I've got a wireless one that measures the fridge, freezer, room temp and shows the max and min temps of each one.  Didn't cost much from Amazon.  :)

This particular one does require a lot of batteries though! 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Doing a jigsaw in the dark @OverlyAnxious, hmm ? interesting idea

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Think I'd miss the smart speakers
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    @Ross_Scope good one that, ours is on 12 hours a day, amazing what you start to take for granted !

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    @Ross_Scope good one that, ours is on 12 hours a day, amazing what you start to take for granted !
    Absolutely, we have one in every room and we are always using them for something, whether it be media, games or just general queries.

Of course, the main thing I'd miss is the Wi-Fi but I guess that's a boring answer :D 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Me and mum have had no hot water or heating for four days I miss my shower and bath as my shower is gas it's been horrible my landlord told me to wash my mum in a bowl 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    I’d miss an early evening shower and a cup of tea during the day mostly.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    I'd miss info, but if we're going to have scheduled power cuts then probably not so much.
    The thought of having no news etc and not knowing when power would be restored would worry the life out of me.

Doubt I'd bother with candles as I quite often walk about the house in darkness anyway...
    I've learnt nothing from all the horror movies I've watched  :D
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Yeah, I went from watching news channels most of the day to avoiding it mostly.
    I just meant in the event of a random blackout I'd get in a panic about not being able to access any info.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,341 Disability Gamechanger
    If it was cold weather, i'd miss the heating. Cold makes my pain so much worse.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you know when you'll get your heating and hot water back @lisathomas50? That doesn't sound good at all. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness