I submitted a MR for PIP on time but payments have been stopped — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I submitted a MR for PIP on time but payments have been stopped

Poorly
Poorly Community member Posts: 17 Listener
Hi, I recently submitted a PIP re-assessment form which was sent by tracked mail and arrived on time but my PIP payments have stopped. They're saying that it may have arrived at their sorting office but it hasn't been passed on to them yet. Is this normal?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Postal backlogs are huge and there are big delays with DWP receiving the post. Sending something thorugh next day delivery for DWP is a waste of time and money because it doesn't mean it's arrived. It's signed for by someone from Royal Mail and is somewhere in the building.
    If your PIP award hadn't actually ended then they should have given you some extra time for them to recieve the forms.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Poorly
    Postal backlogs are huge and there are big delays with DWP receiving the post. Sending something thorugh next day delivery for DWP is a waste of time and money because it doesn't mean it's arrived. It's signed for by someone from Royal Mail and is somewhere in the building.
    If your PIP award hadn't actually ended then they should have given you some extra time for them to recieve the forms.

Thanks for your response. It's hard to say if my award had ended...It had actually ended last year but was extended due to covid. My situation has actually got worse with extra medical issues, some life threatening.
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2021
    Having read your question again, I see your thread title says “you submitted an MR.” You ask for this when you disagree with a decision that’s been made.
    Then your question says you returned your form for reassessment. So now I’m confused. Was a decision made on your review and you were refused? Or have you not had a decision on the review yet? 
    If you requested the MR because of a refusal then any new decision overrules the previous award. So yes payments stop because there’s no award in place for you to receive any payments.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I was confused too with money stopping presumed new decision had been made but reading is it review forms that haven't arrived though you say they arrived on time but then said when you rang they didn't have
    . them

If you are saying through post tracking they have arrived then dwp post is signed for by royal mail sorting centre but then go to dwp and don't show as recieved until they have been scanned on their system 

This could be what has happened 

Not sure though if it is review or mr

If it reviews you may have long wait as you will have to have a assessment then decision all taking about 10 months currently 
  • Poorly
    Having read your question again, I see your thread title says “you submitted an MR.” You ask for this when you disagree with a decision that’s been made.
    Then your question says you returned your form for reassessment. So now I’m confused. Was a decision made on your review and you were refused? Or have you not had a decision on the review yet? 
    If you requested the MR because of a refusal then any new decision overrules the previous award. So yes payments stop because there’s no award in place for you to receive any payments.

Yes, my bad...it was reassment forms. So I submitted the completed forms on time. No decision would have been made as they claim they haven't recieved the forms!
  • Poorly
    edited October 2021
    janer1967 said:
    I was confused too with money stopping presumed new decision had been made but reading is it review forms that haven't arrived though you say they arrived on time but then said when you rang they didn't have
    . them

If you are saying through post tracking they have arrived then dwp post is signed for by royal mail sorting centre but then go to dwp and don't show as recieved until they have been scanned on their system 

This could be what has happened 

Not sure though if it is review or mr

If it reviews you may have long wait as you will have to have a assessment then decision all taking about 10 months currently 
    Yes it's a re-assessment. 00I completed the forms and sent them back assuming they would then assess them and bring me in for an interview orr phone, but they're saying they haven't yet rceived the forms. If for example, they had received the forms on time, would my money still have been stopped while waiting for a decision?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    If your current award has ended that's way payment will have stopped 

Did you win your award at tribunal? 

Only ask as if so you don't get reminder to reclaim till 14 weeks b4 claim ends. 
    But if awarded by dwp they send them 6 months in advance 

Either way if your award has ended you will need to wait till all process is complete and new decision is made b4 any payment will be made 
  • poppy123456
    You’re not the only person this has happened to. If you kept of the form for yourself, which you should have done then take a copy of that and return it. In the meantime they may receive the first one. 
  • Poorly
    janer1967 said:

Only ask as if so you don't get reminder to reclaim till 14 weeks b4 claim ends. 

Either way if your award has ended you will need to wait till all process is complete and new decision is made b4 any payment will be made 

It was awarded by the DWP but they only gave me 1 month notice, I assume that's because the award ended a year ago but was extended because of covid. Thanks for your help, it's dreadful news but at least I know what to expect now.
  • Poorly
    You’re not the only person this has happened to. If you kept of the form for yourself, which you should have done then take a copy of that and return it. In the meantime they may receive the first one. 
    I see.....my forms had to be back by the 21st Sept and tracked mail say's they were delivered 21st Sept, but only found out claim had been stopped a few days ago. Phoned them and was told they hadn't received the forms and that they had sent me a letter on the 30th stating my claim had been stopped due to not returning the forms on time. But I only got that letter yesterday!
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2021
    As advised, they were not delivered to DWP. They were sent to the Royal Mail sorting office, where someone from Royal Mail would have signed for them. No one from DWP would have signed for your post. This means nothing at all other than they are somewhere in the building of the sorting office.
    They are not classed as arriving with DWP until they've been added to the computer. If your forms had to be back by 21st, when did you actually send them back? The 20th? :# Even under normal times you should make sure you post them at least 10 days before they need to be back.
    Poorly said:
    janer1967 said:

It was awarded by the DWP but they only gave me 1 month notice, I assume that's because the award ended a year ago but was extended because of covid. Thanks for your help, it's dreadful news but at least I know what to expect now.

Your award was extended due to covid so unless you had reached then end of the extension then it wouldn't have ended because of that. It would have been because they didn't receive your forms.
  • Poorly
    Poorly said:
    poppy123456
    This is going to affect my severe disability ESA as well, do you know if it will affect my housing benefit?
  • poppy123456
    Poorly said:
    Poorly said:
    poppy123456
    This is going to affect my severe disability ESA as well, do you know if it will affect my housing benefit?

Only if you're under 35, privately renting and live alone. https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/benefits_for_under_35s_in_shared_housing

• Poorly
    As advised, they were not delivered to DWP. They were sent to the Royal Mail sorting office, where someone from Royal Mail would have signed for them. No one from DWP would have signed for your post. This means nothing at all other than they are somewhere in the building of the sorting office.
    They are not classed as arriving with DWP until they've been added to the computer. If your forms had to be back by 21st, when did you actually send them back? The 20th? :# Even under normal times you should make sure you post them at least 10 days before they need to be back.
    Poorly said:
    janer1967 said:

Your award was extended due to covid so unless you had reached then end of the extension then it wouldn't have ended because of that. It would have been because they didn't receive your forms.

Ah, thanks. I did send them the day before by next day delievery, bad mistake. This is going to affect my severe disability as well, do you know if it will affect my housing benefit too?
  • Poorly
    edited October 2021
    Poorly said:
    Poorly said:
    poppy123456

Only if you're under 35, privately renting and live alone. https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/benefits_for_under_35s_in_shared_housing

Thanks for all your help. I am over 35 thank goodness!
  • Poorly
    Poorly said:
    Poorly said:
    Poorly said:
    poppy123456

Can I ask you to clarify something for me please? I've just checked the gov website about PIP and it say's that if your claim is being reviewed, you will continue to get PIP while it is being reviewed, and when I phoned the first time, they told me that my claim would remain suspended until they received the forms. They then sent me a text saying it could take up to 12 weeks. I am seriously disabled and my situation has got worse, though I hadn't informed them earlier of this. What's my situation now....does the PIP get re-instated when they receive the forms or not?
  • poppy123456
    Payments continue during a review, unless an award ends. Or if they don’t receive your forms in time, then it stops, which is what happened to you. You will need to ring them to ask if your PIP can be reinstated, no one here can answer that. 
  • Poorly
    Payments continue during a review, unless an award ends. Or if they don’t receive your forms in time, then it stops, which is what happened to you. You will need to ring them to ask if your PIP can be reinstated, no one here can answer that. 
    00Thanks again. 00I've just been in touch with my local law centre who say the suspension is illegal and they will be dealing with it. Cheers, you've been very helpful.
  • Poorly
    Darn it, when 00I type capital letters my keyboard add a 00!
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2021
    I don't see anything illegal here. The problem is you didn't post the form back until the day before the deadline.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.