Hi, my name is jazzyjack!I've been told I will lose my benefits if I receive my inheritence — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is jazzyjack!I've been told I will lose my benefits if I receive my inheritence

jazzyjack
jazzyjack Community member Posts: 2 Listener
MY MUM AND DAD WORKED HARD ALL THEIR LIFE TO LEAVE ME SOME INHERITANCE I HAVE BEEN TOLD I WILL LOSE MY BENEFITS IF I RECEIVE THIS IS THIS CORRECT IS THERE NO WAY I CAN PUT IN TRUST 

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jazzyjack

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. Unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise and I am hoping someone with more knowledge in this area can respond to you with appropriate guidance soon. However, in the meantime, I just wanted to say I hear your frustration and thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out for the first time. I will look forward to hearing from you again soon! 
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • jazzyjack
    jazzyjack Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    thankyou so much for welcoming me ,

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    You are welcome @jazzyjack. I hope you receive an answer to your question soon too. Sorry I can't help in this instance, it just isn't an area I have lots of knowledge about! :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jazzyjack

Wishing you a warm welcome to the community, I hope you are well.

Whether your benefits are impacted may depend on how much you receive, and the benefit itself. PIP for example is not means tested and shouldn't be impacted.

What benefits do you receive?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    It will depend what benefits you're receiving exactly. PIP isn't means tested so savings/capital doesn't affect this. Universla Credit/Income Related ESA/JSA, Income Support, housing benefit and council tax reduction are all means tested. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 then all means tested benefits will end.

Can't give you any advice regarding any trusts as not my area of knowledge.

Could you also please not type using capital letters because it's very difficult to read and is also classed as shouting.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • aly1260
    aly1260 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I inherited £15 thousand pounds . My esa was stopped for a few weeks I had esa awarded to me again at a lower rate , it was backdated to when it stopped completely . I hope this helps 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.