Hi, my name is trueblue1975! The last 4 years I have been getting carers allowance for my wife — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is trueblue1975! The last 4 years I have been getting carers allowance for my wife

trueblue1975
trueblue1975 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi for
 the past 4 years I have been getting carers allowance for my wife we are both eligible for the severe disability premium I understand my wife looses her entitlement but they also deduct the carers allowance from our esa award making us worse off is this right?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Hi,
    When claiming Carers Allowance as well as your ESA you're not worse off, even though it's deducted in full from your ESA. You're actually £37.70 per week better off because they add the carers premium to your ESA.
    Whether you're both entitled to the SDP will depend on your circumstances. You must both be either claiming a qualifying disability benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care or be registered blind. You must also not live with any other adults, unless they also claim a qualifying disability benefit. The Couples SDP is currently £134.60 per week (single person £67.30 per week) https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium
    Also do be aware that the ESA will only pay NI credits to the person named on the claim, the partner does not receive the NI credits towards their state pension. Carers Allowance pays class 1 NI credits, which of course are very helpful for the future.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • trueblue1975
    Hi thanks for the response we both receive pip care component and my wife and are eligible for the couples rate but as I get carers allowance my wife looses her half so minus £67.30 then they deduct the carers allowance from the esa so  minus £67.60 yes we get the £37.70 premium but still leaves a short fall of £29.60 per week 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes you are worse off each week by doing it this way but as i advised, the carers allowance does pay the NI credits which are useful for yourself,  especially if your wife is the main claimant of the ESA claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • trueblue1975
    Thanks again for the response 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.