Did anyone else feel down about their child's diagnosis? How did you deal with it? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Did anyone else feel down about their child's diagnosis? How did you deal with it?

Aj09
Aj09 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hey did anyone feel down about their child's diagnosis. How did you deal with it. 

Comments

• Aj09
    Awwwk that's terrible your beautiful daughter. Sorry to hear that. My daughter is only 3.5 but got diagnosed with a learning disability and I feel so low... I know I shouldn't but I don't know how to get rid of negative thinking. I just wish I was well again x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,
    You child having a diagnosis can be a shock and will take some getting used to especially if you weren't expecting it. What you must remember is your child is still the same person they were before you had the diagnosis. In time you will come to terms with it and deal with it the best way you can.
    My daughter was 17 when she was diagnosed with a learning disability and Autism. I had been fighting for her for 14 years because i knew in my mind that something wasn't quite right. I went through He!! with different schools, local Authorites, GP's and CAMHS, who were absolutely useless! We were at home when we had the offical diagnosis, after a visit from my daughters Consultant who wanted to come to our home for the appointment. After she went i said to my other daughter that i was very relieved to have finally got the formal diagnosis, after fighting for so long. It didn't change the way we thought of her, she was still the same person.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Aj09
    It's hard. I love her with everything I have and don't understand why I'm so low. :( 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Welcome to the community @Aj09 :) 

I'm glad that some fellow parents have been able to share their experiences. I hope that this has helped you to realise that it's okay to feel low, as getting a diagnosis for your child can bring up lots of difficult feelings and worries? I've moved your post into our parents, carers, and disabled parents category so that you can connect with other parents.

Have you spoken to anyone about how you're feeling? If you haven't yet, I'd definitely encourage you to speak to your GP. Many parents put the needs of their chid first, but it's really important that you look after yourself as well. 

I also wanted to point you towards our family services, in particular our Navigate service, as they could help you to work through your feelings and concerns and find a positive way forward. Perhaps you could have a look and let us know if you've got any questions?

I realise that you've said you're not sure why you're feeling so low, but have you been able to identify any particular thoughts that have been popping into your mind that might be contributing to how you feel?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Shazza1986
    Shazza1986 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Hi its hard when your child is getting diagnosed I had to rush my 4 year old son to hospital the end of October he got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes its been a struggle especially with his school he's in the process of screening for ASD and adhd and World development delay Christmas has been very different too I'm on my own lost most of my family over the past few years so been completely alone now it's been a roller-coaster but hopefully he's coming to terms with it all now. And is getting used to the injections every day. 

Brightness