Announcement: the community's new look — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Announcement: the community's new look

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
edited April 2022 in Community updates
Hello everyone,

Next week we'll be making a long-awaited change to how the online community looks. This re-themed appearance is being introduced to improve the speed, accessibility, and overall function of the community.

We understand it might take a while to get used to the community's new appearance, so we're going to be posting a couple of screenshots of the re-theme, ahead of the change.

Today I'm going to highlight the online community's new home page:

Accessibility note: unfortunately we can only share screenshots at this time, but we will be launching the re-themed appearance next week, so everyone will get to play around soon enough.

A screenshot of the re-themed online community homepage

Navigation bar:

The community's main navigation bar (the purple bar along the top) is now a lot less cluttered and will include:
Categories: this menu item links directly to the community's main category view.
Discussions: this menu item links directly to a page displaying recent discussions from across the community.
A magnifying glass icon: this icon expands into a search bar so you can search across the community.
Sign in: this menu items links directly to the community's sign in page.
Register: this menu item links directly to the community's registration page.

Note:
upon launch, the community's 'Night mode' toggle button will be moved to the navigation bar. This will allow users to switch 'Night mode' on and off.

Main homepage:

As you scroll down past the navigation bar, you'll note things have changed quite a lot and the main community homepage now includes:

Hero image: this large image sits at the top of the page.
Landscape pocket image: a landscape image sits below the main hero image, you'll likely see this used to link to Scope campaigns or community content.
Sidebar menu: we've updated our sidebar menu to include links to the community's main category view, recent discussions, and popular tags among other things.
Featured categories: we now have the option to feature specific categories and so from time to time, you may see a number of categories featured at the top of the page. Note: these will not be visible at launch.
Category menu: we have moved to a tile-based category view, so categories such as Community updates and Disability issues will be displayed side-by-side, making it quicker to scroll through all of our categories.

Please note:

1. As well as making this big change to the community's design, we will be gradually changing other parts of how the community looks and feels over the next few months. While none of the changes we make will be as big as the launch of the re-theme next week, each change will hopefully make an improvement to how we all use the community. This also means that we can be flexible and can make changes as and when they're required, so if something isn't working we will be able to address that issue quite quickly.

2. The names and descriptions of certain categories such as 'What am I entitled to?' are also subject to change and will be adjusted in the weeks ahead.

Let us know below if you have any thoughts on the new community homepage or the navigation menu.
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Overall it looks more modern & streamlined, & I definitely like the tile-based category view; much better.
    I'm sure you know I'm going to ask this, but will there be a link back to the main site? Perhaps I'm the only one that uses it, but I personally find it very helpful in assisting new members to be aware of Scope's 'Online advice & support' & 'Support services.'
    On a minor note, will this 'Home' page & everything else appear the same whether using a desktop/laptop computer or a phone? I didn't realise for quite some time that currently some things appear in a different place on a phone. Also, has the 'Activity' button completely disappeared? Sometimes members get a bit lost off & post on the Activity wall, which on occasion has been useful to know, so I'm used to checking here 'just in case.'
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I think it is perfect :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Its looking good
  • Adrian_Scope
    Thanks for your feedback everyone.

chiarieds said:
    Overall it looks more modern & streamlined, & I definitely like the tile-based category view; much better.
    I'm sure you know I'm going to ask this, but will there be a link back to the main site? Perhaps I'm the only one that uses it, but I personally find it very helpful in assisting new members to be aware of Scope's 'Online advice & support' & 'Support services.'
    On a minor note, will this 'Home' page & everything else appear the same whether using a desktop/laptop computer or a phone? I didn't realise for quite some time that currently some things appear in a different place on a phone. Also, has the 'Activity' button completely disappeared? Sometimes members get a bit lost off & post on the Activity wall, which on occasion has been useful to know, so I'm used to checking here 'just in case.'
    Links back to community:
    We'll be including a link back to the Scope website in the page footer. You'll be able to access the Scope website by clicking a big yellow button that reads 'Visit the Scope website'.

Mobile version:
    A mobile version of the community will look quite different to the desktop version of the site. Like the desktop site, the mobile version has been designed with functionality and user experience in mind, but any mobile design is limited by considerations such as screen size, so button or icon placement unfortunately has to differ. I will share screenshots of this as soon as our developer has finished polishing everything.

Activity feed:
    The general community activity feed has been completely removed for now. As you mention, members would get a bit 'lost' and it was decided that the activity feed was a bit of a user experience 'trap'. You can still share activity updates through your user profile, but these updates will only be visible on your user profile's individual wall. We'll keep an eye on how this is used and review its success in the months following launch.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited October 2021
    Good morning everyone,

We're still planning to release this community re-theme this week, so I wanted to post some screenshots of the upcoming changes to the community's mobile view.

Signed out mobile view:

A screenshot of the community mobile view in signed out state.

This view is significantly streamlined. If you look at the purple navigation bar, you will note (from right to left):

An icon of an arrow entering a doorway: this is our sign-in icon and pressing it will take you directly to the community's sign-in page.

An icon of a magnifying glass: this our community search icon and pressing it will pop out the community's search bar.

An online community logo: this is our community logo and wherever you are on the site, pressing it will take you directly back to the homepage.

An icon of 3 horizontal lines: this is our navigation menu icon and pressing it will pop open will pop open the community's mobile navigation menu, as below:

Mobile navigation menu:

A screenshot of the mobile navigation menu in signed out state.

This menu contains:

Sign in: this menu items links directly to the community's sign in page.
    Register: this menu item links directly to the community's registration page.
    Categories: this menu item links directly to the community's main category view.
    Discussions: this menu item links directly to a page displaying recent discussions from across the community.
    Create new discussion: this menu item will open up a new discussion page where you can create a new discussion. 
    An X icon: this closes the navigation menu.

Mobile tile view:

A screenshot of the community mobile tile view in signed out state.

Once on the community home page, if you scroll down, you will see the category tile icons. Pressing any of these will take you directly to the relevant category.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
    @Adrian_Scope
    The upgrade to Scope online Community is looking fantastic and simple easy to use.
    I really can't wait to start using it 
    Overall great job done 

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• Adrian_Scope

Signed in mobile view

A screenshot of the communitys signed in mobile view

This view is significantly streamlined. If you look at the purple navigation bar, you will note (from right to left):

An icon depicting your profile picture: this is our profile icon and pressing it will pop open the mobile profile menu.

An icon of a magnifying glass: this our community search icon and pressing it will pop out the community's search bar.

An online community logo: this is our community logo and wherever you are on the site, pressing it will take you directly back to the homepage.

An icon of 3 horizontal lines: this is our navigation menu icon and pressing it will pop open will pop open the community's mobile navigation menu, mentioned in an earlier post.

Mobile profile menu

A screenshot of the communitys signed in mobile profile menu
    This menu contains:

Profile icon: clicking this takes you to the profile tab.
    Notification bell icon: clicking this takes you to the notifications tab.
    Messages icon: clicking this takes you to your message tab.

Profile tab:

This tab contains:
    Your profile image: this menu item links directly to your community profile page.
    Edit Profile: this menu item links directly to your Edit Profile page.
    Bookmarks: this menu item links directly to your Bookmarks page.
    Drafts: this menu item links directly to your Drafts page.
    My discussions: this menu item links directly to your My discussions page.
    Sign Out: this menu item will sign you out of the online community.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ellieflower3
    ellieflower3 Community member Posts: 186 Courageous
    Hello everyone,

Next week we'll be making a long-awaited change to how the online community looks. This re-themed appearance is being introduced to improve the speed, accessibility, and overall function of the community.

We understand it might take a while to get used to the community's new appearance, so we're going to be posting a couple of screenshots of the re-theme, ahead of the change.

Today I'm going to highlight the online community's new home page:

Accessibility note: unfortunately we can only share screenshots at this time, but we will be launching the re-themed appearance next week, so everyone will get to play around soon enough.

A screenshot of the re-themed online community homepage

Navigation bar:

The community's main navigation bar (the purple bar along the top) is now a lot less cluttered and will include:
    Categories: this menu item links directly to the community's main category view.
    Discussions: this menu item links directly to a page displaying recent discussions from across the community.
    A magnifying glass icon: this icon expands into a search bar so you can search across the community.
    Sign in: this menu items links directly to the community's sign in page.
    Register: this menu item links directly to the community's registration page.

Note:
    upon launch, the community's 'Night mode' toggle button will be moved to the navigation bar. This will allow users to switch 'Night mode' on and off.

Main homepage:

As you scroll down past the navigation bar, you'll note things have changed quite a lot and the main community homepage now includes:

Hero image: this large image sits at the top of the page.
    Landscape pocket image: a landscape image sits below the main hero image, you'll likely see this used to link to Scope campaigns or community content.
    Sidebar menu: we've updated our sidebar menu to include links to the community's main category view, recent discussions, and popular tags among other things.
    Featured categories: we now have the option to feature specific categories and so from time to time, you may see a number of categories featured at the top of the page. Note: these will not be visible at launch.
    Category menu: we have moved to a tile-based category view, so categories such as Community updates and Disability issues will be displayed side-by-side, making it quicker to scroll through all of our categories.

Please note:

1. As well as making this big change to the community's design, we will be gradually changing other parts of how the community looks and feels over the next few months. While none of the changes we make will be as big as the launch of the re-theme next week, each change will hopefully make an improvement to how we all use the community. This also means that we can be flexible and can make changes as and when they're required, so if something isn't working we will be able to address that issue quite quickly.

2. The names and descriptions of certain categories such as 'What am I entitled to?' are also subject to change and will be adjusted in the weeks ahead.

Let us know below if you have any thoughts on the new community homepage or the navigation menu.
    it freaked me out first of all. but I love it :) keep me updated. hope whoever reads this is having a fab or all right day
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Teddybear12 - When you click on your avatar, you will see 'View profile,' click on that to see your badges. Or you can just click on your avatar right at the top of every page (top right).
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Teddybear12 :) You should still be able to see your badges on the right hand side of the screen when you visit your profile page. 

Are you using desktop or mobile?

screenshot of badges on right hand side of the screen
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    It's an improvement that you can see who last commented on a thread, but now you can't see who started the thread?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
              Sorry, not keen on the new layout at all
  • chiarieds
    Hi @woodbine - you can see who has started a thread by hovering over their avatar/profile picture.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Teddybear12 - I commented about the Activity 'button,' for want of a better word, above. Perhaps I should have said, 'link.' Adrian commented,
    'The general community activity feed has been completely removed for now. As you mention, members would get a bit 'lost' and it was decided that the activity feed was a bit of a user experience 'trap'. You can still share activity updates through your user profile, but these updates will only be visible on your user profile's individual wall. We'll keep an eye on how this is used and review its success in the months following launch.'
    As with everything about this new theme, it does look that it will continue to be reviewed. I suppose that as this is so new to us all, that several of us are finding it awkward, myself included. Personally, & which surprised me, I'm finding it all too bright (I'm very sensitive to too much light, & keep switching to 'Dark mode,' but neither feel completely comfortable), so can't keep reading here as much as usual. I do wonder what some on the Autistic spectrum may feel about this new look, as they can suffer sensory overload.

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    It's too white and bright...prefer the old one...sorry, I'm sure I'll adapt.
  • Cress
    Was about to ask how then saw the button...yes dark mode is better, but I still prefer the old one.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Hard to get used to can't find private message either 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Very complicated  can't find private messaging 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Very complicated  can't find private messaging 
    On a laptop, if you go to the top right of your screen there'll be a menu bar with four buttons, the third one from the left is for messages. Let us know if you still can't find it.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Cress
    It should be made easier to see who started a thread.

Brightness