Announcement: the community's new look - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Announcement: the community's new look

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Two things I like are - 

1. Ability to see who’s online, this is important in terms of the community coordinators because you know who to get in touch with if you need to speak and can message direct. 

2. The fact you can go to someone’s profile and PM them direct. Previously, I had issues initiating a PM and could only reply to them. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    I'm with Mike about the dark mode not being as easy as it should have hopefully been, as the change to bright light is most uncomfortable, which I've already mentioned, as has another (& I don't have visual problems other than being sensitive to light). In dark mode, some of the dark purple writing is very difficult to read. I also agree to amendments to your profile not working; mine's set now to not show my email address, tho it looks like it's still showing (I also use DuckDuckGo).
    The three dots to edit a post partially obscure any text written, & it's not obvious (unless a prior member) that that's where you'd look for it.
    On a minor note, the word 'Bookmark' is missing the 'k' at the end.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Just to confirm I am feeding all of this back to the relevant teams. 
    Could I ask, with regards to dark mode not being implemented across the site, if there are specific areas you find where this is the case it would be really helpful if you could let us know which ones these are.

@chiarieds, I've double checked and your email address isn't publicly visible. They're set to be hidden across the site as default but you are able to see your own on your account. 

Do you happen to have a screenshot of where the 'k' is missing at the end of 'Bookmark' as I've not been able to find this. 

Thanks all for the feedback and please do keep it coming. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    I can't find the dates on posts.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Adrian_Scope - thank you for checking my email address, & pleased that it's OK. I find using the dark mode exactly the same problem as Mike describes. I attach a screenshot. On every instance of seeing the word 'Bookmark' it's the same as here.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Adrian_Scope - I don't know if this shows the 'Bookmark' problem better. The words are small, so perhaps hard to see. Also in dark mode if you 'Preview' your reply, which I often do to check any hyperlinks are working, then the text box changes to white, with black text, as if you are in the ordinary mode.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @Adrian_Scope - thank you for checking my email address, & pleased that it's OK. I find using the dark mode exactly the same problem as Mike describes. I attach a screenshot. On every instance of seeing the word 'Bookmark' it's the same as here.
    I think that's actually caused by the three dots for editing hiding the k rather than the k actually being missing.
    As others have commented the purpose of the three dots is not obvious to anybody who doesn't know.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • chiarieds
    That sounds like your idea is correct calcotti. Also, if you've typed a reply that goes to where the 3 dots are, they're then somewhat obscured by the text that has just been written.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    ...and I can't tell which is a shiny new thread or simply one where there have been no new posts.
  • chiarieds
    I'm not using any iOS accessibility settings. As calcotti says, it's likely the 3 dots to edit a post may be hiding the final k in Bookmark. That's a very minor issue, tho text, if the post is long enough, being somewhat obscured, or superimposed by the 3 dots (not sure which, for me at least) may make the 3 edit 'dots' less easily seen. If I hadn't known where to look, I wouldn't have known I could edit posts.
    Hoping this at least will work for you; I found using the back button with my mouse, say to get back to 'Recent discussions,' meant no blinding flash of light when in 'Dark mode,' & is noticeably quicker.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm another that's finding dark mode to light mode very drastic and a shock. I don't have vision problems either just sensitive to bright light so i'm using dark mode. The purple colour on the letters when using dark mode is more difficult to read for someone with no vision problems, so i can't imagine what it's like for someone who does.
    You can't tell whether there's any new threads without clicking on that part of the forum either, which is most annoying.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I can't see the date posts were made does it show anywhere you don't know how old a post is 
  • chiarieds
    edited October 2021
    Not sure I totally agree, Mike. I have photophobia, but, as far as I'm aware, this is due to me having Chiari 1 Malformation, so due to central nervous system (C.N.S.) problem, rather than 'a sight issue.' On a similar, yet completely different note, I also have hyperacusis, again a C.N.S. problem.
    @poppy123456 - I don't know if this may also help you, but I found by lowering the brightness on my screen (which sounds counter-intuitive if using the dark mode), & also increasing the contrast (purple on black really doesn't work well) helped.
  • poppy123456
     I am sensitive to light caused by fibromyalgia, which includes bright screens.
    @chiarieds thanks, I will try that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • chiarieds
    edited October 2021
    I don't deny this, yet you made a distinction that 'light sensitivity is a 'sight issue,' which was why I commented, as this is not always seen to be the case. It's impacts I agree may be similar, & the causes many, yet I would politely argue they differ. Having visual problems as to how your C.N.S. works (or not) can be similar to a visual impairment, but may not necessarily be considered a 'visual impairment' per se.
  • poppy123456
    Sorry Mike but this time i completely disagree. I'm defintiely not visually impaired. I wear glasses, that correct my vision and have done since i was about 8. I have my eyes tested every 2 years and my eyes are perfectly healthly. I'll say no more on this subject....
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I love the dark mode its fantastic I don't get headaches now looking at the screen it's the only part I realy like 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @poppy123456 I understand where your comeing from but if you wear glasses to correct your eyes it's classed as a visual  impairment I have had conversations about this before I found it frustrating bring told I had a visual impairment  

I had cataracts and when they put new lenses in they put long distant lenses because I was a driver  so need  to wear glasses to read  

In conversations I have had I was told a person who has perfect eye sight doesn't have to wear glasses and no eye problems at all  but someone who wears glasses for any reason or has eye problems is classed as haveing a visual  impairmen

This makes things difficult when filling in forms or job application when they ask if your visual impaired 
  • poppy123456
    @lisathomas50 sorry but i completely disagree. Wearing glasses to correct a persons vision does not mean they are VI.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree with @poppy123456 I've gone from having perfect eyesight to then wearing glasses, and I was not referred to an ophthalmologist or any scans, I just needed glasses to help with reading and being under bright lights from working in a supermarket.

In 2017, I lost my central vision (still cause is unknown) and was backwards and forwards from opticians, to hospital, to ophthalmologists and eventually a professor at Moorfields diagnosing me with optic neuropathy.

I wouldn't have said I was visually impaired when I needed glasses because no further action was needed as the glasses helped. 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Brightness