Facebook — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Facebook

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2021 in Coffee lounge
Please don't divulge your facebook user I.D but what groups on facebook are you finding useful at the moment, as well as a few political groups and local history i'm finding the following useful and interesting.

1) skint dad
2) reduce your supermarket spend

and
3) not on Amazon
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I only really join the local selling group 
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    I have never, or felt the need to use face book.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Never used Facebook, twitter etc.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Wow, I thought I would have been in the minority having never used any social media sites! Seems not so far!
  • cazza6565
    cazza6565 Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    I am only on the Facebook group for PIP. No idea Why people use Facebook to post 3 million pictures of their pets , children, even pictures of their dinner. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I find the groups for my local area helpful, and those for local events organisers so I can keep up to date with new announcements of things going on in the region.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    Good to see so few use the pernicious nasty intrusive place. 
    Question Mike, if you in your own words have never used it, how would you know this?
    FB is only as intrusive as you allow it to be, and many of the FB groups i'm on are in essence little different to a forum like this, and in an admin way are usually well run.
    In the second quarter of 2021 FB had 2.89 billion active users worldwide.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    I have FB but rarely use it. I just don't see why people like posting their whole life on it, makes me laugh sometimes. I once joined a PIP group and was so appalled at the advice people were giving, i promptly left. My advice about FB benefit groups is to not believe anything you read and the best thing to do with these, is leave.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Facebook xan be help full my partners miter bike got stolen last night and it's been shared all across swansea and when people go missing and the market place where you can find property to rent buy houses buy cars and lots of other things stay in touch with family and friends  there is alot with Facebook  there are millions of people across the world on Facebook  scope have things on Facebook I think its fab 
  • woodbine
    What I do know is that you can't uninvent the wheel, social media in all its forms has been with us for quite some time now and is here to stay, agreed it's not perfect but most things in life are far from perfect.

I'm almost sorry I started this thread now because what happens all too often is that they get ambushed by the naysayers, shame really.

Any site I visit can link me to where ever they want I have nothing whatsoever to hide.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    However, you are 100% incorrect to say that Facebook is "... only as intrusive as you allow it to be.". I don't even know where to start with a statement like that. It terrifies me that people simply don't know the basics. 

I agree with and understand what you go on to explain in your post, the way Facebook (and many other social media platforms might I add) access and use our data is somewhat unsettling, but I wouldn't really describe it as the basics personally because to many people the way those things work are far from basic.

Of course, some of Facebook's conduct is public knowledge due to the way it has been covered in the media but I think that other parts are the sort of things you would only know by seeking out that information , finding it out through your profession or other things like that.

I do see the point that @woodbine makes too though about Facebook only being as intrusive as you allow it to be. As users, we have access to a range of privacy settings that we don't always have reason to doubt the functionality of, from hiding profile information to limiting what data Facebook can collect. They could absolutely do more, and I have no hesitation in being sceptical about them given some of the things they've done recently with data, but I guess it all comes back to personal preference at the end of the day. I totally get why you wouldn't want to use it and I rarely use it myself these days, but I also understand that others might be comfortable with the data Facebook collects about them, and the privacy options they do have.

I second what you went  on to say about the accessibility though, it's dreadful.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    OK I have one more comment then I give up, social media has for many people over time and especially during these difficult time been a lifeline, I know it certainly has been for me.
    And personally I don't care if social media harvest my information.

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    I do have Facebook, I don't use it like I used to anymore, mainly say happy birthday etc. Have a snoop as people put every movement on there they do, tagging in every location. I like twitter at the moment, can follow people of interest.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry that the Scope team tend to bend over backwards seeing both sides; should perhaps be the case ordinarily, but not always. Facebook is not innocuous, as Mike has been at pains to say....why would he be commenting if not to help|?
    Both Mike & myself believe the post was started innocently, & he's not trying to be a 'naysayer,' just say be aware if using Facebook.....we need to know about privacy issues, & be concerned about them.
    My daughter has long disconcerted me in posting pictures of her children, & saying she was going to visit me on xxxx date; amazing there have been no repercussions tbh.
    Please don't think I always agree with Mike, as I don't, & have in fact commented on another thread this evening; do I believe him the vast majority of the time (& I always look into the links he gives), absolutely? This is no exception.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I find facebook groups to do with certain health conditions very useful. I'm a member of a Mitochondrial group and I started the Ataxia UK branch for my county on there too. These groups have helped me connect with others in a similar situation, and learn more about the conditions I have.

I'm a member of several blogging groups and I find these resourceful and again, enjoy connecting with other bloggers.

Facebook, well the messenger part, was a lifeline for me when I was in ICU/on a ward/then rehab. I think my mental health would have been severely impacted had I not been able to talk to family or friends during those 9 months.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Pixie51
    Pixie51 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Good to see so few use the pernicious nasty intrusive place. 

Actually I use facebook to keep touch with other bereaved parents and it is a lifeline. We moved to facebook when the bereavement forum we used closed. Yes facebook has its nasties but it is what you use it for and for me it is a place of solace and friendship. 
    Yoga heals the soul ??
  • Pixie51
    Pixie51 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Apologies misread that, nasty intrusive rather nasties ?
    Yoga heals the soul ??
  • Daniel_2021
    Daniel_2021 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Hi,
    I'm loving the not on amazon page, that along with some of the health pages I'm on are a real help and a positive of facebook.
    The is a browser I use called duckduckgo which stops cookies being added and allows you to remove your history everytime you've used the web, it partly helps with data safety.
    I think being concerned about your personal data is bigger that social media, many phones track your movements, hotspot wifi offered at shopping centre do the same for marketing data. This week alone two schools have started using facial recognition for children to pay for school meals so no cash is handled due to covid. Our data is constantly being collected often without our knowledge ANPRs are on every major road now.
    I try and reduce the amount of personal data I share to the minimum (by not having an open profile on here for one) but I do think that used in the right way social media can add something.   Not on amazon for example has some amazing things for sale made by the person selling them. I guess it's a balancing act.
    Thanks,
     Not willing to disclose name (Daniel)

• Daniel_2021
    Daniel_2021 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    @Username_removed I was talking generally not specifically about you. I know you have had discussions throughout the thread by my comments were meant to be read as simply a view and not a response to previous messages.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    If people are happy doing what  they are doing and it's a life line for them why should people make a big thing out of it we all have our own opinions about things 

People come on here doesn't stop people hacking this site or going information about people 

The Internet is what it is it will never be safe same as shopping  and using your card or using points cards  there is data about us all 

If you be as careful as you can then that's all you can do 
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness