PIP Telephone Assessment - right to request recording — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Telephone Assessment - right to request recording

AmyS1992
AmyS1992 Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
Hi,

I'm sure some probably already know but just in case you don't (it is not that well advertised) but if scheduled for a telephone assessment with Independent Assessment Services (formerly ATOS), you can request that the assessment be recorded by calling the customer service number on your appointment letter. They will then send out a letter with new assessment details on. I've been advised the appointment date will change and I may have to wait a little longer for another one, as only some home-working assessors have the necessary recording equipment. 

I've personally never requested an assessment be recorded before, but have opted to do so in the hopes it may dissuade the assessor from including complete fabrications in their report, as has happened previously. This may be completely in vain - I have no idea but thought it was worth a try because my last appeal and tribunal process, though successful, was exceptionally stressful and I really don't want to go through it again!

Just wanted to share in case this helps anyone.

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    The issue here is that people think that during the assessment the assessor should be writing what you said verbatim but that's not what should happen. If it were there would be no point in having the assessment in the first place.
    The assessment is there for them to gather more information about how your conditions affect you. Then they write the report, which is based on their opinion of everything you sent and what you said during the assessment.
    Persoanlly, i'd prefer to concentrate purely on answering the questions and using real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you, if you didn't do this when filling out the form.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AmyS1992
    The issue here is that people think that during the assessment the assessor should be writing what you said verbatim but that's not what should happen. If it were there would be no point in having the assessment in the first place.
    The assessment is there for them to gather more information about how your conditions affect you. Then they write the report, which is based on their opinion of everything you sent and what you said during the assessment.
    Persoanlly, i'd prefer to concentrate purely on answering the questions and using real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you, if you didn't do this when filling out the form.
    Hi Poppy - appreciate your feedback but that is not necessarily what I'm referring to here. I understand that assessors do not write verbatim.

In my last assessment for example, my assessor wrote that I leave the house 6 times a week, unaccompanied. It was simply not true - I actually told him that I left the house twice a week and was always with a family member or carer. I specifically stated that I was unable to go out alone for a host of reasons. 

A further example - I had advised I tried to do exercise/do my physio daily but was unable to 50% of the time due to neuropathy pain. The assessor wrote in the report that I stated I was able to exercise daily. 

Throughout the appeals process I regretted not requesting my assessment be recorded because I suspect these inaccuracies would not have been included. 

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    In the grand scheme of things though, if for example you had a recording and compared it to the report and let’s say for arguments sake there were factual inaccuracies. 

a) what are you going to do with the recording? I’m under the impression decision makers at MR stage and judges etc at tribunal stage don’t listen to them anyway? 

b) pointing out the inaccuracies don’t get you PIP. It’s better to go on and make sure your explicitly say what happened the last time you attempted each activity. 
  • poppy123456
    Even if it's recorded you can't use that for the MR or Tribunal. If you used it for Tribunal you would need to pay for it to be professionally transcribed. If the worst happened and you were refused having your assessment recorded is not going to get you a PIP award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • AmyS1992
    I was actually hoping requesting that the session being recorded would deter the assessor from bending the truth. Again - I pointed out it might be in vain. I would like to think an assessor would be less likely to include blatant fabrications in the report if they are recording it. These inaccuracies weren’t down to interpretation - they were blatant lies and I strongly suspect had I requested that session was recorded, they wouldn’t have happened.

I won my previous appeal at tribunal by repeating the exact same statements I’d make in my assessment and by submitting the exact same evidence - please explain to me how an assessor came to such a drastically different conclusion to the tribunal panel? 
  • poppy123456
    So you remember every single thing you said during your assessment? I know i never do.
    I'm not saying reports don't include inaccuracies because they do but i see little point in concentrating on recording the assessment because this isn't going to get anyone an award. I'd prefer to focus on other things such as anecdotal evidence.
  • AmyS1992
    @poppy123456 I am not concentrating on recording the session, I am fully concentrated on explaining clearly how my disabilities affect me (which is exactly what I did in my previous assessment) and this is just an additional measure I have opted to take. Why do you feel the need to make assumptions about a decision that I have made (based on my own experience) and what I can and can't remember? If you feel differently, that's great - simply scroll past my post. I had a family member with me at the previous assessment I'm referring to and the assessor stated in the report that I attended alone, so yes fabrications do happen and the tribunal panel were happy for me to clarify that at my hearing. 

Again...I know how PIP is awarded. I know having my session recorded won't "win me PIP", but if it dissuades an assessor from including over 10 completely false statements in my report (and stating that I had actually said them!) and prevents me from going through a stressful appeals process to regurgitate the exact same information - it is a win in my eyes. 
  • Jamescasali
    Jamescasali Community member Posts: 86 Connected
    AmyS1992 said:
    @poppy123456 I am not concentrating on recording the session, I am fully concentrated on explaining clearly how my disabilities affect me (which is exactly what I did in my previous assessment) and this is just an additional measure I have opted to take. Why do you feel the need to make assumptions about a decision that I have made (based on my own experience) and what I can and can't remember? If you feel differently, that's great - simply scroll past my post. I had a family member with me at the previous assessment I'm referring to and the assessor stated in the report that I attended alone, so yes fabrications do happen and the tribunal panel were happy for me to clarify that at my hearing. 

Again...I know how PIP is awarded. I know having my session recorded won't "win me PIP", but if it dissuades an assessor from including over 10 completely false statements in my report (and stating that I had actually said them!) and prevents me from going through a stressful appeals process to regurgitate the exact same information - it is a win in my eyes. 

Amy, 
    Old news I know but i get what you are saying 100%

• Tronster
    Tronster Community member Posts: 39 Connected
    edited January 2023
    Going of your OP, just to let you know I recorded my (unintentionally) and had requested the tribunal take it into consideration...... and they have! Because like you, and so many others I've read on this site. Inaccuracies are made by the assessors (my one said I don't have any adaptations at work but on the recording, you hear me and my partner talking about my OH report at work and the adaptations made at work for 3.26 minutes).

The Tribunal have recently accepted that recording into evidence so I'm not sure why you're being advised that they don't listen to recordings, I know people who work on PIP Tribunals as clerks (I use to be one myself, but for civil cases at Liverpool CFC) and they confirm they absolutely listen to recordings, sometimes in the tribunal hearing. I had a Transcript made to go with it for ease's sake, but I wasn't informed I had to provide one and i wasn't told i had to provide one in my directions order either.

I can also tell you right now if you find out the judge hasn't listened to the recording, that's literally your case right there to go to upper tribunal. Thats why when a judge reads their judgement, to show you what evidence they have used and how they have come to their decision. 

Also, i do agree with you, if you say you've done something, proving you have said he helps to move a case go forward quicker.
  • Jamescasali
     Up To date information  is so important, members of the public have to rely on "experts" for this as finding out  information is very difficult , i agree on the listening to recordings, that its allowed and they do,  but my own experience tells me even judges maybe get it wrong, mine said HMCTS staff will record my tribunal..,and even after id said , listen Judge if they  had recorded it -my assessment i mean , my bundle of documents would include a copy of it which it hasnt,  Faced with logic , the judge still decided to adjourn my tribunal  dyo have any  real time exp of this to confirm or  deny it, 
    Thanks

• Jamescasali
    tomm said:
     Up To date information  is so important, members of the public have to rely on "experts" for this as finding out  information is very difficult , i agree on the listening to recordings, that its allowed and they do,  but my own experience tells me even judges maybe get it wrong, mine said HMCTS staff will record my tribunal..,and even after id said , listen Judge if they  had recorded it -my assessment i mean , my bundle of documents would include a copy of it which it hasnt,  Faced with logic , the judge still decided to adjourn my tribunal  dyo have any  real time exp of this to confirm or  deny it, 
    Thanks

In my experience If the ASSESSMENT Provider Audio records the assessment THEY send you a copy  soon after the assessment , It is not sent by DWP in the paper bundle , The assessment provider's copy will be stored somewhere secure  and sent to a tribunal on request

Thanks for that, however in my case , after the judge adjourned it to find out if Capita had recorded it,, i contacted capita myself and was told they hadn't, the guy checked on my file, in fact he said if theyd recorded it, id have been asked if i wanted a copy.
    I love your wording---"All the facts " a big reason for anyone to  request it recorded , or self record, as DWP like to use the Phase "facts of the case" with a recording theyd have  them , no arguments, asto whether  pip tribunals or any  dwp tribunals are recorded by hmcts staff, it seems no one can answer this?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Jamescasali said:.. asto whether  pip tribunals or any  dwp tribunals are recorded by hmcts staff, it seems no one can answer this?
    I have never been aware of tribunals being recorded and I don't recall ever being advised that they are being recorded.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,382 Disability Gamechanger
    tomm said:
    Thanks

In my experience If the ASSESSMENT Provider Audio records the assessment THEY send you a copy  soon after the assessment , It is not sent by DWP in the paper bundle , The assessment provider's copy will be stored somewhere secure  and sent to a tribunal on request

Thanks for that, however in my case , after the judge adjourned it to find out if Capita had recorded it,, i contacted capita myself and was told they hadn't, the guy checked on my file, in fact he said if theyd recorded it, id have been asked if i wanted a copy.
    I love your wording---"All the facts " a big reason for anyone to  request it recorded , or self record, as DWP like to use the Phase "facts of the case" with a recording theyd have  them , no arguments, asto whether  pip tribunals or any  dwp tribunals are recorded by hmcts staff, it seems no one can answer this?
    That's ridiculous and gone against your wishes and not recorded it. Have you complained to Capitia? I can see the stress you're under and for them not to listen is added pressure. What have you got planned to take your mind of things until you get a decision. As Poppy always reminds us that we need to try and forget about the assessment now. There's nothing you can do now. It's just a waiting game now I'm afraid.
  • Jamescasali
    calcotti said:
    Jamescasali said:.. asto whether  pip tribunals or any  dwp tribunals are recorded by hmcts staff, it seems no one can answer this?
    I have never been aware of tribunals being recorded and I don't recall ever being advised that they are being recorded.
    Calcotti,
    I obviously agree, because  at the adjourned tribunal , i wasn't made aware/asked/told it would be, so imagine my surprise when i received an adjournment notice, from the  judge  saying in these words" The appellant must not make his own recording, it will be recorded by HMCTS staff and he will be able to request a copy"

Now perhaps he added that i cant record it , because id recorded my own pip assessment and provided it to the tribunal, however A Tribunal Judge  should know that they aren't recorded--- it doesn't leave you with a great feeling of confidence, if they/he wasnt/isnt aware of  whats possible..!
  • Jamescasali
    tomm said:
    Thanks

That's ridiculous and gone against your wishes and not recorded it. Have you complained to Capitia? I can see the stress you're under and for them not to listen is added pressure. What have you got planned to take your mind of things until you get a decision. As Poppy always reminds us that we need to try and forget about the assessment now. There's nothing you can do now. It's just a waiting game now I'm afraid.
    dj, you missunderstand, I never asked Capita to record my assesment
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,382 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh I do apologise 
  • Jamescasali
    tomm said:
    Thanks

No you missunderstand i never asked Capita to record it
    tomm said:
    Thanks

tomm said:
    Thanks

tomm said:
    Thanks

• Jamescasali
    Oh I do apologise 

No worries,  ill add not only did the Judge say the appeal would be recorded , but a call to  
    contactsscs@justice.gov.uk, a member of staff also said , tribunals are recorded, honestly it beggars belief,  if a tribunal judge who hears pip appeals and staff at  sscs are giving out  incorrect info, add into that inconsistencies/inaccuracies in assessments and your normal run of the mill person  doesn't stand a chance unless they are very switched on

tomm said:
    Thanks

No you missunderstand i never asked Capita to record it
    tomm said:
    Thanks

tomm said:
    Thanks

tomm said:
    Thanks

• Jamescasali
    AmyS1992 said:
    Hi,

I'm sure some probably already know but just in case you don't (it is not that well advertised) but if scheduled for a telephone assessment with Independent Assessment Services (formerly ATOS), you can request that the assessment be recorded by calling the customer service number on your appointment letter. They will then send out a letter with new assessment details on. I've been advised the appointment date will change and I may have to wait a little longer for another one, as only some home-working assessors have the necessary recording equipment. 

I've personally never requested an assessment be recorded before, but have opted to do so in the hopes it may dissuade the assessor from including complete fabrications in their report, as has happened previously. This may be completely in vain - I have no idea but thought it was worth a try because my last appeal and tribunal process, though successful, was exceptionally stressful and I really don't want to go through it again!

Just wanted to share in case this helps anyone.

Thanks
    If its recorded, there's no dispute about what was said, so Its very useful, that's  the crux of it, nowt more to add
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,636 Pioneering
    The best thing you can do is request the Assessment be Recorded. 

If they can't do it, tell them that you seek their permission to Record it
    yourself.

When they give you permission, Record it. If they give you 'grief',
    ask to speak to a manager.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.