Government pushing the boat out — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Government pushing the boat out

Options
Bumbles
Bumbles Community member Posts: 34 Connected
So another budget delivered and yet again our “wonderful” government have pulled all the stops out to ——- well,  ignore the disabled the sick and the pensioners needs. It’s as though because we cannot work or are past working age we are worthless to society, give everything to the rich, young and working population.
it really breaks my heart when we are treated like this year after year and nobody in the government cares or changes things for us to the better.
having worked in Westminster prior to becoming unable to work, I saw everyday how much MP’s milk the system (one that they created) yet they moan how badly they are off!!
it’s SO depressing!!! ?

Comments

• Bumbles
    Options
    Sad fact is they do not “live” on that sort of money as MP’s they get Sooo many “perks” their money is vertically trebled and that’s without their other paid ”jobs” they have. I must not say (voice shackled due to official secrets act!!) what they can/do claim but if the general public did ever find out there would be a type of French Revolution, all I can say is it’s a shame Guido faulkes and his men failed in their task….
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Personally I think we should pay our MP's far more than we do, same for members of the cabinet, then just pay them reasonable travel expenses and prohibit them from having second and third jobs.
    But to compare then to people on benefits achieves little if anything. Imho pensioners aren't getting that bad a deal under the new unified SRP.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Bumbles
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I totally understand where your coming from, but, if you had the insider information about how much they actually take home in basic you would not make a judgement call like that.
    their pay is complicated - made  deliberately so by themselves years ago
    and that’s before we get onto their pension entitlements.
    not all pensioners are well off, a lot have to live on that paltry amount many cannot afford heating or to eat properly.
    we have the worst pension in Europe yet are one of the richest countries.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Any pensioners who are that poor can probably claim housing and council tax benefit they also get the winter fuel allowance, my M.I.L before she died had a state pension of around £230 per week plus £80 a week AA, a friend who's husband recently died saw her pension rise by £80 per week after his death to over £1000 every 4 weeks. And both these examples are based on the pre 2016 SRP.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    I've just read in the budget papers that they are no longer going ahead with the 18month minimum period for PIP, meaning that PIP will be reassessed more frequently.  The reason?  'Most awards are reduced on reassessment.'
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My mum is a pensioner and on the pension she gets she csnt get helpneith anything as she has to much money she gets taxed as well she probably gets more than someone working a good job full time 

Brightness