Can you help me with Google accounts? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can you help me with Google accounts?

nannymaroon
nannymaroon Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
I'm trying to keep my personal email address private. I've been trying all day and it seems it's impossible. Since almost all of our online activities are monitored and stored by Google it poses a real security risk if we can't use the internet without everyone being able to see our activities and email addresses.

Has anyone else been able to get around this?
I've tried changing the email address but got locked out of my Google account for getting my pw wrong.?
It's easier to be nice🙂

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nannymaroon :)

Just to clarify, what are you trying to change your email address on? Are you trying to change the email address linked to your Google account? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Hi @nannymaroon :)

Just to clarify, what are you trying to change your email address on? Are you trying to change the email address linked to your Google account? I'm just trying to keep my email private. But I've done some more research, it seems that Google doesn't allow it. Which is crazy. After a full day of faff I've reset my password and created a new email address that doesn't include my actual name. I can't believe that Google are so fast and loose with the user info they make public. Also I'm shocked at how much of our info is public and easily found. I'm thinking of victims of online stalking and anyone who is concerned about privacy.
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    If you look at the internet as the modern day phone book, think back to when we had phone books which listed your name and address, which unless you were ex directary the information was avaliable to everyone in your area.
    I suppose if you want to keep yourself invisible on the internet then the easiest way will be to never use it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nannymaroon - Unfortunately both Google & Facebook make money by selling their data. I would suggest you use DuckDuckGo to search online rather than Google. It's free & more secure. Please see:  https://duckduckgobrowser.net/  also https://spreadprivacy.com/is-duckduckgo-a-good-search-engine/    You may also be interested in this: https://spreadprivacy.com/introducing-email-protection-beta/
    Hope some of this helps.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I have no problem at all in using facebook amazon and google and have done for many years with no problems, they are all part of everyday life for literally billions of people, who can't all be wrong !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness