The Queen — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The Queen

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
All the news agencies are reporting tonight that HM The Queen has been advised to rest for another two weeks having been in hospital last week overnight, it is thought that she may miss the remembrance day services next month.
I suppose at the age of 95 and having lost her husband this year we can only expect that she is not at her best, but the question is how worried should we be?
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering

I've got 99 worries but the Queen ain't one... :)

She should take it easy...let the others take the strain.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hopefully she makes a full recovery :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    The Queen is made of strong stuff but still at 95 she’s got to take it easy. Here’s hoping for a speedy return to duties.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    It's about time she abdicated and handed the reigns over 
  • woodbine
    I would agree but she will never do that, a number of European monarchs have "retired" at 70.

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 356 Pioneering
    She would never abdicate as she promised to dedicate her whole life, I hope she still has some years left in her as not looking forward to prince charles becoming king.
  • woodbine
    I always hoped that Charles would have the sense to skip a generation and allow William to become King, otherwise it's possible we will be lumbered with older ones for years to come.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree Charles will be too old and it would be far better for William to take the title , he is old enough to have spent time growing his own family and then at least we would have a king and a queen 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,851 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree, at 95 you can't expect the Queen to be running around all over the place. lisathomas50 said:

I disagree shes part of a monarchy that stays on throne till death. She should just go slower. Get the younger ones to take over alot of her appointments. 
    I also don't agree the royals should finish. They've been part of our history for many years  and actually fetch a lot of revenue in. 
    Can't see Charles stepping down  either.

• woodbine
    Personally after the Queen I would be happy for the Royal family to finish as far as us subsidising them. The thought of Charles and Camilla fills me with horror.
    The royal family bring in far more money than they cost us, in normal times that is, as well as paying tax. I would much rather have a monarchy than e.g President Blair or Cameron, a monarchy stands for stability as opposed to presidential elections every 4 years and all the expense that would entail.

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    As a matter of interest how does the Queens income compare to say Ronaldo’s at Man U? Anybody know?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• rubin16
    I for one love the Queen, and what she does for the country. I don't think anyone in history has worked as hard as she has, and I think she is an essential asset. I would hate to see the country not have a monarch and turn into a presidential country I think what it is to be english is to have a King or Queen. I think cost aside they are priceless and essential in my opinion.

I'm just not looking forward to Charles being King, I also want and hope he gives it to Prince William when the time comes. But saying that I hope the Queen still has some years left in her and wish her well.
  • Cress

I'd be more then happy to retire them all...European royalty cost a hell of a lot less...dunno why ours have to be so costly.

I've heard said that once the Queen goes people will be less keen to have a royal family...be great to have a vote...can't see it ever happening.
  • Cress
    rubin16 said:
    I for one love the Queen, and what she does for the country. I don't think anyone in history has worked as hard as she has, and I think she is an essential asset. I would hate to see the country not have a monarch and turn into a presidential country I think what it is to be english is to have a King or Queen. I think cost aside they are priceless and essential in my opinion.

I'm just not looking forward to Charles being King, I also want and hope he gives it to Prince William when the time comes. But saying that I hope the Queen still has some years left in her and wish her well.
    Spanish get a royal family for 7 million a year...I'd be happy to keep ours if that were the cost.

• Cress
    leeCal said:
    As a matter of interest how does the Queens income compare to say Ronaldo’s at Man U? Anybody know?
    You think she might be up for a career change? :D
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Cress said:
    leeCal said:
    You think she might be up for a career change? :D
    I think she'd probably get through the same amount of pressing as Ronaldo does in a game.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • rubin16
    I still stand by my comment and in my opinion no one has worked as hard as she has, the amount of effort to not give an opinion on anything, not be able to say no when your tired, having freedom and been able to do what you want without judgement, and to do this till the day she dies without retirement.

I don't know anyone else who has done this in history, it is by far one of the hardest jobs to do. Its not easy to be a monarch and try to please everyone without giving any sort of opinion, and it takes someone superhuman to do it as good as she has over the years.

You may have your opinion, but mine is she is one of the hardest working people I have ever known and is a great asset to us.
  • rubin16
    Becuase she is the longest reigning monarch. Anyway not getting into a debate or arguement, I just wanted to express my opinion which I did, and to which I am entitled and so are you.

I won't say anymore but I still stick to my opinion.
  • woodbine
    Sad really that a thread about the health of a 95 year old has turned into a debate about money and the monarchy, makes you think that we really don't deserve her.
     :'( 

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    We pay for the monarchy I think we shouldn't have anyone after the Queen 
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness