Hi, my name is Suzanne_70! Will UC class tax refunds as income? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Suzanne_70! Will UC class tax refunds as income?

Options
Suzanne_70
Suzanne_70 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello
My partner is on long term sick and isn't being paid by work anymore but is receiving some kind of tax refund weekly of £45 a week. We have a joint UC claim and I am his carer. We haven't received anything so far but are hoping to find out on the 6th for any payment on the 10th.  Will they class the tax payments as income? 

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Suzanne_70

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. Unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise which means I am hoping someone with more knowledge in this area can respond to you soon with more specific guidance. However, in the meantime, you may find the Government's link about how your earnings affect your payments useful. If so, you can find it at https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-your-earnings-affect-your-payments. I hope this does help but if you have any more questions or anything else we can support you with, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again. Take care for now and I will look forward to hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    I've never heard of a weekly tax refund. Are you sure this is what it is? Is it a works pension?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    If it is a tax refund it will be treated as if it were earnings. If you have a Work Allowance they may fall to be disregarded, anything over the Work Allowance will be subject to the normal taper rate.
    Hi,
    I've never heard of a weekly tax refund. Are you sure this is what it is? Is it a works pension?
    PAYE will generate tax refunds and if partner was being paid weekly then they will get weekly refunds.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks @calcotti, you learn something new everyday.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Suzanne_70
    Suzanne_70 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I should have said .. yes he does get paid weekly as he works for Royal Mail and never wanted his wages changed to monthly.
    Thanks for the answer.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks @calcotti, you learn something new everyday.
    It can be a problem. If someone has been well paid and then becomes ill and drops to SSP, the impact of the tax refunds can be to take the earnings over the threshold that prevents a WCA referral being made.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.