Pip fraud allegation. When could we expect to be contacted as part of the investigation? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip fraud allegation. When could we expect to be contacted as part of the investigation?

Options
madrose1977
madrose1977 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello
My daughter gets pip and I’m her appointee she’s 22 she has adhd and hidden disabilities 
she’s had a fall out with her friend and her friend then messaged me to tell me she’s reported my daughter for pip fraud as she’s sick of working while my daughter gets benefits.
she has said she’s sent them videos/photos of her at gym which she goes to with her sister late at night when it’s quiet as she has anxiety and mental health issues and told them she goes to the pub which she goes to with me but her friend says she wouldn’t be able to do this if she had adhd and mental health issues 
my question is it’s been 2 weeks since she reported it and we’ve not heard anything and it’s really stressful sitting here thinking how long it will be  before they contact us to investigate it 
Would we have heard by now?
Thanks all 

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Firstly, there is nothing to say someone that claims PIP can’t go to the gym or to the pub, although, bear in mind as long as doing this doesn’t contradict something your daughter said she could not do. 

Secondly, the comment your daughters friend made about she is sick of working when your daughter is on benefits. It’s not relevant as PIP can be claimed even if you work, it’s not to replace the fact that someone can’t work as many people work and successfully claim PIP. 

If she really has been reported, I don’t really know what the next steps would be, but on the other hand, if your daughter has nothing to hide then she should go on with her day to day life as normal. 
  • madrose1977
    madrose1977 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hello thank you for your comment 
    She has nothing to hide, just concerned that come this month she won’t receive her money which will put her in hardship with bills, food etc I’m not sure if they just stop your payment when they’re looking into it without telling you 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,988 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    DWP probably have thousands of reports like this each week but it's unlikely that they would contact everyone and certainly not within 2 weeks. You don't know if your daughters friend really did report her for sure.
    As has been advised, if your daughter's done nothing wrong there's nothing to worry about. Just because a person claims PIP it doesn't mean they can't still have a life.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They won't stop her money unless fraud has been proven 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They are quite good at sniffing out malicious reports from the genuine reports, as above nothing to worry about.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to @madrose1977 for incorrect info just going on my experience when a couple of people I know were investigated 
  • DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    She may well receive a phone call from them. Friend of mine was contacted by DWP in August after an anonymous (they think, not so, she knows who it was and will get her own back) report in March.

The DWP know the majority of anonymous reports are the result of a petty falling out or by a vindictive person, but have to investigate

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.