Covid 19. What do you think should be done? Should we go into another lockdown? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Covid 19. What do you think should be done? Should we go into another lockdown?

Options
bozone1972
bozone1972 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
edited November 2021 in Coffee lounge
with this covid  going up again what  do you think should be done about it does  anyone  think we should  go back in a lockdown  again?
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Interesting question @bozone1972 :) What's your view on it?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Personally I think we have to take precautions like mask wearing social distance 

However it's not going to go away we have to learn to cope with it being here long term without having to keep going into full lockdown 

Just my opinion 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I don’t necessarily want one, but if they chose to impose one, I would follow what was asked of me. 

I’m careful anyway, I still wear my mask, sociably distance, don’t meet indoors, I go out less and when I really need to. 

I don’t go to pubs, restaurants, events with large gatherings, etc, that’s my choice though. 

I am double vaccinated, I also have had my flu jab and will of course get my booster jab. 

I also test twice weekly for covid. 

I think I do as much as I can. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Another lockdown? No thank you! I'm fully vaccinated and i'm due my booster in a couple of weeks, i also had my flu vaccine a few weeks ago.
    I do go to my local shops but i'm careful when i do. I don't wear a face covering because i'm exempt anyway but i sanitise my hands reqularly. The only people i see is my daughter and grandson, i don't visit anyone.
    I lost 3 months of my grandson's life because he was born just before the first lockdown so i only seen him twice. No one will ever stop me from seeing him ever again.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I doubt that the country could afford another lockdown, I think they might have to force us to use mask, social distance and where possible work from home again.

SM has her booster next Fri. mine should be 2 weeks later and we have both had flu jabs we avoid large gatherings, limit the number of people we meet indoors and try to social distance when shopping.
    Having said all that I do agree that the number of new cases is still around 300,000 a week and deaths seem to be on the increase. And the govt. seem to be preparing for a bad covid winter.

We shall see.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The reason the cases are rising its been said is because people think the vacination and booster stop them getting the virus and don't follow whats been advised alot of people that are in hospital are mostly people who have been double vaccinated here in wales on Wales online someone was in hospital with corona virus that had already had their booster  

I think there will be stronger restrictions but as the Welsh government has said here if thete is no improvement and hospital cases rise he is prepared to lock wales down hospitals here are saying that they are starting to be over whelmed with the delta variant 2 which is a mutation from the delta variant  

This is only what I have read and seen on the news only we can keep  ourselves safe 
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 538 Pioneering
    Options
    I think the way in which the government has handled covid is bad, they should of never relaxed mask wearing in shops and things till atleast the cases were very low. I don't go out much but if I do I wear a facemask but so many people don't have a mask anymore and stand close to each other. I think they should make masks mandatory again (unless exempt).

I am also double vaccinated and waiting for my booster jab in the next few weeks, but if we do go into another lockdown, people only have themselves to blame and just shows how useless the governement is at the moment.

I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't think there'll be another lockdown, but I do think mandatory face coverings for shops etc will come back.

I physically haven't been able to get to a shop for about 2 months now and don't see that changing any time soon.  But even if I could get there, I can't have the jab and have a weak immune system and honestly don't see any end to this.  Covid will be with us for a long time to come and 'normal' people will just have to get on with it, hoping they have reduced symptoms due to the jabs. 

I'm happy to take responsibility for myself, keeping apart and practicing good hand hygiene (finally my OCD comes in handy!) but that can be so easily undone by just one other person getting too close and speaking/coughing etc.  Imagine one person driving the wrong way up the motorway...all of the other people that were just minding their own business and doing the right thing are now caught up in the carnage through no fault of their own.
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    To be brutally honest, my life didn't change much from what it was before the first lockdown and hasn't changed much since it was relaxed.  The only change is I double mask when I go out which is two days a month for medical appointments.

I'm double vaccinated and not due my booster or flu jab until early December.

People need to be sensible and realise we have to live with this thing now, but hopefully treatments will improve in time.
  • woodbine
    Options
    I think it's very easy to criticise the government, and I would agree they have made mistakes, but they have also saved probably 1 million jobs, they have injected massive amounts into the economy to keep that afloat, so not all bad, and of course they have been forced to abandon austerity which is a massive plus.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not a Tory but I do believe in giving credit where it's due.

• nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    I think we should all be vaccinated where possible and maintain hand washing and social distancing to avoid another lockdown. Sadly most people are behaving like covid  is over and another lockdown might be the only way to halt the spread.
    Unfortunately the government and PM think they know better than the doctors and scientists. They will continue to do nothing to curb the increase in infections and the deaths /long term health problems covid causes.
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • nannymaroon
    Options
    I really do think another lockdown is needed to remind us all to be considerate and careful.
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • Durhamjaide
    Durhamjaide Scope Member Posts: 428 Courageous
    Options
    I think we should after Christmas is out the way 
  • nannymaroon
    Options
    I'm no Grinch but I think we should go into a strict lockdown by Christmas Eve at the latest.
    Too many people still think that it's ok to get together. The numbers will rocket by new year due to the v high R rate of omicron, even with a lockdown. Without stricter measures we are in big trouble.
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • nannymaroon
    Options
    Politically a non-starter at this point. It would be suicide for Boris.

Practically, irrelevant when combined with other magnificently stupid decisions like abolishing the red list; allowing mass gatherings like gigs or clubbing etc. it would take a massively long lockdown to even begin to impact.
    Sadly I think you're right. I can't type what I think of him on a public forum. But I'm not surprised that Boris is putting his car crash of a career before the health of the nation.
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We need a long hard lockdown the NHS are already overwhelmed  in wales a man I knew personally  had a stroke waited 3 hours for an ambulance do his son took him to hospital he was then left in a wheelchair for 14 hrs and later died 

As its already been said people aren't liveing with it can't have an economy if there are no people omicron spreads faster dome has now fied from this variant people will be mixing at Xmas and the omicron will spread I wouldn't want to risk the lives of my children and grandchildren and my family or my unborn grandchildren 

We need a long hard loxk down to preserve life 

This is my opinion 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A lockdown isn't going to help, not now. They took countries off the red list, on TV last night they were showing a football match and the stadium was full. It's Christmas, there will be parties.
    If there was it wouldn't bother me if there was a lockdown because i don't go out much anyway. I just know that no one will ever stop me seeing my daughter and grandson again because these are the only 2 people i see.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nannymaroon
    Options
    I'll be spending another Christmas alone due to COVID-19. It's no fun but better than getting the virus or passing it on to others. Even though I'm triple jabbed I don't feel safe mixing with others yet. I'm going to keep shielding like I did since , early 2020.
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • woodbine
    Options
    According to some ticket agents sales have fallen 40% almost overnight, and venues are now finding that people who bought tickets just aren't turning up to see whatever it was.
    The leading question is can the UK economy stand the shockwave from another lockdown, the answer to that is probably no.
    As for football games at the end of the day they are in the open, and for larger grounds you need proof of being jabbed and to wear mask.
    The government is in a difficult place now, dammed if they do dammed if they don't, with many people thinking if its ok for "them" to break the rules, why should the rest of "us" take any notice ?

• nannymaroon
    Options
    Covid nearly killed me this past June. I'm not about to risk getting it again or passing it on to others. We can't rely on the PM or MPs. I'm going to follow the scientists instead of a spoilt brat compulsive liar. It's pitiful that a man who is nearly 60 in the highest public office cannot be trusted. He's a liability. I wonder how many of those who listened to his rambling nonsense are dead now?
    It's easier to be nice🙂

Brightness