on the search for new music — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

on the search for new music

tazzy_956
tazzy_956 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Hi everyone, 
I want to try new music out and nothing is really off the table, yay :) 
A bit of history about me is that I never really grew up listening to music. I come from a very religious family and let just say I wasn't encouraged to listen to music (at all!) and I really don't know much about music. I always felt left out growing up as some kids could bond and talk in normal conversations whereas I couldn't, and at times I was labeled the weird kid for not being into the stuff that other kids were into. So this is me almost 10 years later venturing out of my comfort zone and giving music a try. 
What would you guys recommend? 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tazzy_956

Thanks for your post, it's great to see you're interested in getting into music.

Do you use any streaming platforms? It might be worth taking a few genre and finding playlists relating to that genre, to see if any of the music catches your ear. You could use YouTube which is a decent free option.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • tazzy_956
    Thanks, could you give me any examples of any streaming platforms, atm I don't any or know any that I am aware of. Atm, I'm on 'the musical universe' to find out what my music taste and personality are, which will help put more direction in my search for music that I like. So far, so good :) 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    @tazzy_956

Some streaming platforms include:
    • Spotify
    • YouTube Music
    • Amazon Music
    • Apple Music
    There are many others though. Some of those have free memberships but with limitations, however all have a paid subscription service too. You might be able to get a free trial for quite a long period of time though, so definitely worth checking out.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • tazzy_956
    Yeah, I've heard of them. 
  • tazzy_956
    edited October 2021
    @Username_removed it doesn't really bother me at all tbh. I didn't even know you could still get music on cassettes, I thought it was an outdated thing but hey you learn something new every day. Lol, I feel like an old dinosaur. I like Spotify and I'll explore the music streaming websites that @Ross_Scope recommended, maybe they can give better-personalized recommendations and I can find stuff that I like.
  • tazzy_956
    Sure, go ahead :) 
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
    Hi and welcome. 
    First things first is to decide what device or streaming app you are going to be listening on. Apps iclude: Spotify and Apple Music just to name a couple. 
    Music is about self expression. To give you some ideas, I like indie rock / Britpop music. Artists in these genres include: Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene. Some other more heavier bands include: Nirvana, Soundgarden and Foo Fighters. Once you have identified your device and genre, it is just a case of exploring and finding out what you like. 
    For me, I am trying to find a new artist but find myself reverting back to my favourites as per the ones above. 

Happy listening and good luck. 
    CSno01
  • tazzy_956
    @csno01 @Username_removed
    Thanks for the recommendations, I want to get a radio and listen to some music on there as I love to find music randomly that makes my life seem more like a movie/musical lol, any good music stations you would recommend? That reminds me, you can get music Tv channels, my sister would go on all the time when she was younger, I could check those out too. 
    Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

• csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
    Some of my favourite stations are:
    Absolute radio, BBC6 music, and planet Rock. You can also search for radio stations by region. I hope this helps.
  • tazzy_956
    It's fine, I love listening to the radio in the car, plus, it's an easy way to multitask when doing other things but each to their own. Still appreciate the comment <3 

Brightness