Hi, my name is Stevek! I've been denied PIP in the past. I'm worried about approaching my employer — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Stevek! I've been denied PIP in the past. I'm worried about approaching my employer

Stevek
Stevek Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi everyone,
Sorry this post is like war and peace  but I don't know where to turn for help. I am a 56 rear old male who has Angina, rheumatoid arthritis, copd, emphysema, spondylitis and on depression tablets. Despite all of this I continue to work a full time job although I am really finding it difficult to maintain, and spend my days off recovering. I have applied for pip in the past and after assessment was refused as they asked me stuff like...Today could you manage to walk a certain distance obviously I answered honestly as I was having an unusual couple of days with limited pain. My shortness of breath is worsening and results in me being constantly tired and the simplest of tasks leave me breathless and wondering what's the point of carrying on, although I push myself as I don't want to give in to my conditions. I was raised in the days of hard work and carry on, even just a blue parking badge would be invaluable to me but it appears even that is beyond me! I don't want something for nothing but a little would go a long way I can neither afford to  approach my employer for perhaps a reduced working week financially or the fear that doing so will prompt them into pushing me out of the door. If you could just even point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.
Steve

Tagged:

Comments

• Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Hello @Stevek

First of all welcome to the forum.

I am sure your post will be answered by some of the forum users who know a lot about benefits and HR issues and reasonable adjustments but I just thought I would say welcome.

I do understand your work issues as I am in my mid fifties with mild CP but had to give up work as I could not cope with the commute or the speed of the work pace after I had done the commute. Like you, I used my holidays to recover or to leave work early on part days so know what a struggle it can be.

I have not applied for PIP  - but I recently applied for a blue badge and got it even though I do not get any passporting benefits and I was not asked for medical evidence or to go to an assessment. I may have been very lucky with my authority but it may be worth applying for the blue badge as it may not be as difficult to get as it sounds on your local authority website. There is a Motability and blue badge section on the forum that may be of help for you.

The badge has been a real help to me so I hope you can apply for that. 

I also wondered if you had help with your PIP application? I was told my physio would support it but have not plucked up courage to apply for it yet.

Anyway, just wanted to welcome you and am sure you will get a lot of helpful HR and other advice from forum members.

Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • Stevek
    Thanks for that Reg I appreciate you taking the time to reply,  I will look once again into the blue badge and fingers crossed be successful.
    Steve
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Great - the people I spoke to on the phone for the blue badge were brilliant with me - understood I could walk and that I had bad days but told me I should fill the online application as if it was a bad day and I would get the badge it - it arrived in the post two days later. I just wish I had applied twenty years earlier!

As for work, I retired from my job as I could not do the commute and the work and they would not let me go part time. I now work from home for myself . I appreciate that is not possible for everyone but I wondered if it was an option for you to get a work from home job as it is a lot easier to cope with work demands if you do not have the journey into work
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

If you want any advice about reasonable adjustments happy to help 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @stevek :) Welcome to the community, it's great to have you with us! 
    I have applied for pip in the past and after assessment was refused as they asked me stuff like...Today could you manage to walk a certain distance obviously I answered honestly as I was having an unusual couple of days with limited pain.
    If you decide to apply for PIP again, you might find reading the 'additional information' at the bottom of this Benefits and Work page. In particular, the section on variable and fluctuating conditions:
    Variable and fluctuating conditions

Taking a view of ability over a longer period of time helps to iron out fluctuations and presents a more coherent picture of disabling effects. Therefore the descriptor choice should be based on consideration of a 12-month period.

Scoring descriptors will apply to individuals where their impairment(s) affects their ability to complete an activity on more than 50 per cent of days in the 12 month period. The following rules apply:

If one descriptor in an activity applies on more than 50 per cent of the days in the period – i.e. the activity cannot be completed in the way described on more than 50 per cent of days – then that descriptor should be chosen.

If more than one descriptor in an activity applies on more than 50 per cent of the days in the period, then the descriptor chosen should be the one which applies for the greatest proportion of the time.

Where one single descriptor in an activity is not satisfied on more than 50 per cent of days, but a number of different descriptors in that activity together are satisfied on more than 50 per cent of days – for example, descriptor ‘B’ is satisfied on 40 per cent of days and descriptor ‘C’ on 30 per cent of days – the descriptor satisfied for the highest proportion of the time should be selected.
    wondering what's the point of carrying on
    I'm sorry to hear that you've been having these kinds of thoughts, but I'm glad to hear you're trying to find ways to continue on. 

I'd definitely recommend speaking to your doctor again if you can, both to update them on how you're struggling with your physical health conditions, and also to let them know that you've been experiencing some low mood despite taking some anti-depressant medication.

Please remember that the following organisations are there to listen, should you need them: 
    • Samaritans: call 116 123, or email jo@samaritans.org. You don't have to be suicidal to get in touch with them
    • SHOUT: text SHOUT to 85258 if you'd prefer to speak to a volunteer over text
    As Janer1967 has said, please do let us know if you'd be interested in hearing more about reasonable adjustments at work (Scope). I can understand that you might be worried about losing your job, but it could be worth speaking to someone from the organisation you work for about whether there are any adjustments that could be made to enable you to work.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Stevek
     I guess I have just been the typical male Dinosaur, either too proud or stupid to reach out and ask for help. Already my spirits have been lifted through reading the the kind replies left for me thanks everyone.
    Steve
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Welcome to the forum.

You're not only dinosaur, male or female, I think most of us with progressive illnesses soldier on regardless for quite a while without asking for help.

Its worth applying for PIP again, if you are not successful, then put in for a mandatory reconsideration.  Be I right or wrong, I think they turn people down to put them off applying.  I know a lot are successful on MR and/or tribunal but I do wonder how many in your position just didn't bother appealing after initially being refused.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Many people find it difficult to reach out for support @stevek. I don't think it makes you stupid. It's caused by lots of different factors. The important thing is that you try to keep in mind that there's no shame in it, and that there are people out there who are happy to try and help :) If you have any further questions, please do ask. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Stevek
    Thanks Alien and yes I didn't appeal at all just got on with it thinking there was no point. Tori I guess your right and it's probably stubbornness that has helped me carry on as much as I have.. Biggest thing to make me reach out is that I have a teenage family and it's Heartbreaking to think that because of me I am compromising their lives so am feeling even more spurred on

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.