destroy the concept of a disabled person in the world — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

destroy the concept of a disabled person in the world

Options
Behi
Behi Community member Posts: 35 Connected
Hi guys, maybe the thing I wanna mention is something that you come across it many times, but I wanna ask you, how we can destroy or at least change the  way people think or react toward one who has some sort of disability, 
I mean every one of us as individuals has some potential which, at first sight, it may not be obvious, and for this kind of reaction some have low self-esteem. 
I think a lot and in the end, I found the basic concept of disability is misunderstood because we have more talent in other aspects.
So what's your suggestion for changing this meaning in people's minds?

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @behi and thanks for making your post.

I think it's mainly about education, people who have negative perceptions of disability should be made aware of the positive aspects of it, and that it's not all just doom and gloom as they may think.

Of course being a disabled person brings challenges but it also brings skills and experiences that are incredibly valuable in many aspects of life, such as friendships and relationships, and employment.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Behi
    Behi Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Options
    Hi, @Ross_Scope yeah, I agree with you. But how we can help to raise this awareness among public people? , you know it was bothered me once ،when I was at street and a man with sunglass and with cane come to buy an ice cream and another customer teases him, like ? You are blind for  real. 

And I was??

You know I'm always calm mostly in these situations

But recently, I find out we should do something about these behaviors.

You know I don't like to mention  my weakness because it is not that much visible. Because people act pathetic in kindness or harsh way as I mentioned.

But I really like to do something about it to change the culture.
    Any suggestions I would be happy to hear about? 

Brightness