Opinions On Booster Jab? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Opinions On Booster Jab?

oldngrumpy
oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 215 Pioneering
edited November 2021 in Coffee lounge
I don't want to get political. I just want to hear folks opinions...

This booster jab.
What are your thoughts?

Twelve months ago I was totally against having the double jab. And to this day I still am.
Although saying this I have had the double.
The reason for the two jabs. Boris.
If you don't have the double jab. No foreign travel he barked. I like my foreign travel, when I can afford/are allowed. Not for the change in culture, but for the warmth. I have Arthritis.

I've had the two and technically I can go abroad. But filling in forms and having take regular tests to confirm I am negative, this is putting me off.
Also, just say something kicked off in the UK, Covid, and upon my return, I had to go into Quarantine. That's about 1K. Which I cannot afford.

We were told the two jabs was going to be the Holy Grail. The Magic Bullet. It is still rampant.
Covid is going to be like the winter flu.
It's going to be constantly changing.

We are now supposed to take a booster.
And presuming it will need a booster next year. And on and on it goes.

So what are your thoughts on the Booster?

I don't want it!

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,364 Disability Gamechanger
    I had no issues getting the first 2 jabs, so i have no issues getting the booster. I haven't been invited yet but knew i was eligible, same as my daughter. So last Monday i went online and booked them myself for 24th November.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    it's basically like the flu jab - every year you go and get stabbed (my booster/3rd is tomorrow) and then hope for the best, I even got the pneumonia jab this year.

I have always had all my vaccinations as I got whooping cough as a child and nearly died, I would have if I hadn't have been vaccinated for it already - it's not worth the risk.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Had my booster last Saturday :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    We both had the double jab SM has had her booster mines due shortly, whilst we are seeing the number of new infections at around 35,000 a day, the number dying from covid and the number in hospitals is way down, thanks i would say due to the vaccination programme.
    The govt. may have made mistakes in the early days but they can't be faulted on the roll out of vaccinations and their support of the economy.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    The only comment I am makeing is wether you have the vacinations  or not people will still get it all from the start of the pandemic things have changed all the time corona virus seems to like a challenge the more it mutates the stronger it will get and because people think they can't get it they dont always keep up with everything else eventually in my opinion from observation and reading and speaking to others this virus will run its course it will run itself out and become to weak to cause the harm it does now this is as I said my opinion not fact 
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I'm double jabbed, booster due and booked for in a couple of weeks.  I don't travel, either domestically or abroad, live alone, only leave the house for medical appointments, so I have no need for a vaccine passport.  I've also been known to become incredibly defensive when approached with a needle.

But I still didn't hesitate in getting these jabs.  There are people out there who use the same gp as me, the same hospital as me, the same dentist as me and my podiatrist regularly goes into care homes and hospitals.  In all of these places there are people who are vulnerable, some of whom can't be protected by the jab.
  • Lisatho11987777
    From what I have read it is now delta 2  as it mutated only what I have read not presenting as fact 
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    I'm having my Booster jab this Saturday and had all my vaccinations upto now as I'm on powerful immune suppressants which puts me at high risk. I'm not worried or scared on having another vaccine as I had no symptoms with my second dose, and the first covid vaccine only made me slightly ill for the first 2 days. I think if it adds another layer of protection and keeps you safer its well worth having.

The positives vastly outweigh the negatives in my opinion.
  • IrishManc
    IrishManc Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    It’s unavoidably political but I understand the sentiment. 

The problem at the moment is that government is pretending C19 no longer exists. Vaccinations were never going to solve C19 but allied to mask wearing indoors, social distancing etc. there was a chance. As it stands two of the the three pillars have fallen and the third, vaccines, is stalling. If we want to get to the point where we’re actually just living with C19 then all three things need to be happening. The WHO has pointed out that the UK is not living with it at present so much as letting it run rampant. 

Ultimately then the decision is about whether you want this to end. Totally understand people with mask phobias or needle phobias or indeed issues with travelling to get a vaccine. Outside of that? It’s ultimately irresponsible for the sake of family, friends, yourself or anyone you interact with in any circumstances to not get jabbed. People bang on about their rights and the things they want but we are a society and we have responsibilities too. 

Well you did ask :)
    I totally understand the comments from both yourself and the previous poster, living alone in Manchester 20 years and with family in the Republic of Ireland, where I hold an Irish passport - Manchester has been relatively sane compared to the rest of the U.K. - and the U.K. is certainly much saner compared to the totally OTT and overkill response of the Irish government, who cancelled a reopening on the 22nd Oct last, where NEPHET and the HSE seem to be pulling the strings of our Taoiseach, every TD in Dáil Éireann and of RTÉ with overkill enforcement from An Garda Siochana and even the FCA, according to RTÉ and accounts from family and friends back home, who consider the situation of “new normal” as being very weird and strange - having not seen family in Ireland since early Dec 2019, I’ve no idea if I’ll be allowed come home (even on the SailRail and Holyhead ferry) for Christmas 2021 - I considered travelling via Scotland and/or Northern Ireland even by air and train from Belfast to Dublin, but it turned out to be impractical and too expensive, even by coach - I’m honestly in two minds about the situation now, as I can see valid points on both sides, given the information from both sides that we do have - what is clear is that one side (whichever side that happens to be) has provided inaccurate information and/or has lied to the public, which will probably unfold next year - I’m resisting “going down the rabbit holes” and “subscribing to conspiracy theories” even if there is some truth contained in there, while trying to maintain as positive an attitude as possible, complying with the rules and being “double-jabbed” at age 51 - as I have always considered Ireland my real home despite living in the U.K. for so long, I’m deeply saddened by the Irish Covid situation as an Irish Patriot, given Irish history - other parts of the U.K. are following closely behind Ireland, including London, in terms of the Covid related insanity, but I certainly think that Manchester has had a more balanced approach to Covid - I also find it very strange too that some rural areas of both the U.K. and Ireland are totally OTT in their Covid responses 
  • IrishManc
    There are a lot of good points (on both sides) on this thread, so I consider this to be a balanced discussion - I’ve anecdotally been hearing reports that the Irish government plans to make the boosters mandatory which is a little concerning but it’s hard to verify this at present, even from the official sources - the same uncertainty exists here in the U.K. too and how far this will go in terms of enforcement is equally unclear - what keeps me going is my Catholic faith and I certainly believe that we know a lot more about all issues around the virus, vaccines, etc than we did 19 months ago, whether or not some or all of this turns out to be entirely truthful remains to be seen and remains yet to be fully revealed - while not personally attending protests, I support protests and other resistance actions on principle in pursuit of the truth 
  • Lisatho11987777
    I didnt have any vacinations when I was younger my mum didn't trust then so I never had them and all I had when I was younger was chicken pox

I have lupus now and at the moment I am still here alive and kicking 
  • IrishManc
    Long ago on another thread I did point out that most of the people who are vaccine hesitant on these sorts of threads would not actually have been alive long enough to comment had their parents refused them vaccines as a child. Vaccines pretty much doubled your life expectancy inside a century. The risks from several of those vaccines continue to exceed the risks from both C19 vaccines the booster jabs but let’s not let hard facts get in the way. I cannot for the life of me fathom why compulsory vaccinations would trouble anyone other than a conspiracy theorist.
    It’s an interesting yet difficult question re mandatory vaccines/boosters - I know that Gemma O’ Doherty and others have been totally against all childhood vaccines because of the health risks in later life, but it seems to be about people’s rights and freedoms as to why they are so totally opposed to mandatory vaccines - I’m in two minds about it, as I can see valid points on both sides 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I had my booster the other day, not a problem apart from the travelling.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    I had every vaccine going as a kid in the 1960's have had the flu jab for the last 20 years and both covid jabs just waiting for my booster in 10 days time, i never had any of the illnesses I was jabbed for as a child, I have never had flu and so far haven't had covid.
    So the only conclusion I can arrive at is that vaccinations work.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Mum has had both her jabs and the booster and has got corona  virus think it depends on how your body reacts  I tested positive again as well 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Tough on your mum, Lisa. However nobody has ever claimed that vaccinations provide 100% protection. They are about reducing risk.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness