My new book entitled "Mixed Blessings" — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My new book entitled "Mixed Blessings"

Options
Slmhill2000Hill
Slmhill2000Hill Community member Posts: 7 Connected
edited November 2021 in Coffee lounge
Hi Friends,

I just wondered if my story could be of interest to anyone.  I am 54 now, and I have recently published my personal memoir on Amazon.

I was born in 1967 with severe CP.  Of course, things for disabled people have advanced a great deal since then, but I wanted to write my story in order to encourage other families who may be travelling a similar path to ours.  My story recalls both touching and fun times attending The Victoria School: a lovely special school in Northfield Birmingham, and then I went on to Dudley College to study I.T., English, Cookery & Art.  I now live in a quiet coastal region of Scotland.

Anyway, I wish you all the best with whatever situation you may find yourselves in, and I really hope you find something in my memoir to help or cheer you along.

My warmest wishes, Sonya

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,826 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Slmhill2000Hill congratulations on publishing your memoir. I will look for it and have a nosy. Sounds a good read.
  • Slmhill2000Hill
    Options
    Hi Sandy,

Thank you so much for your message.  I hope my story will be something that interests you or helps you in some way.

Have a great day!  Sonya  :smiley:
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello

Just to say congrats on getting published. I have always wanted to write a book. Did you self publish and how did you find the process? 

I hope the book sales on Amazon are going well.  
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • Slmhill2000Hill
    Options
    Hi Reg,

Thanks for the message.

Yes, I did self-publish, but it was an awful lot of work and extremely difficult for a number of reasons -

First, I can only operate my computer with one thumb, so this makes my typing very slow.

Also, I'd never done this before and as anyone who self-publishes with Amazon will find out, there is no one complete publishing guide, so it was a case of looking online and gradually building up an idea of what to do.  

Finally, I also designed my own book cover.  For this I downloaded a template, but all the measurements were in American, so had to be converted to UK.

All in all it was a real headache, so I really hope people like it.

Have a nice day anyway,
    Sonya
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Slmhill2000Hill

Wow, what a great achievement! I hope you are feeling proud of yourself. I am sure all of your time and energies put into it will be greatly received. It already seems to have gained much positive attention on Scope's forum  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Slmhill2000Hill
    Options
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    What an amazing achievement, @Slmhill2000Hill :) 

It must have taken a lot of work to create your own book, but I can imagine that you're so proud of it. I would be! How long did the writing process take?
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Slmhill2000Hill
    edited November 2021
    Options
    It took me many years, as I can only type with one thumb.  However, I was really hoping it may encourage parents, who may have a small child with CP, as I think it includes a lot of useful tips which may help them.  This was really one of my main thoughts behind sharing my story with Scope - "Mixed Blessings" by Sonya L. M. Hill.  Now available on Amazon.  A perfect stocking filler  :p
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Aww, bless you @Slmhill2000Hill. So thoughtful too! <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness