Hi, my name is DanceDeb! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is DanceDeb!

DanceDeb
DanceDeb Community member Posts: 31 Connected
edited November 2021 in Start here and say hello!
I have Mild Cerebral Palsy being now 55 or near enough and have been working as an Occupational Therapist for the last Twenty three years full time. I am dead proud of getting there as everything i have had to fight for but it never gave in to other people attitude and had teach others how to treat me. Now however i am struggling to work full time. I believe i have post impairment syndrome,which is draining me.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community Feel free to join in or ask any questions 

I see you asked a question on another post which I replied to 
  • DanceDeb
    Thanks Janet it's appreciated ? :smile:
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @DanceDeb :) It's great to have you with us.

Thanks for sharing some information about yourself, and for asking your question about employment on another thread. I made your comment with the question into its own discussion so that other members will be able to find it more easily.

I definitely think you should be proud of yourself. Despite the trouble you've been having recently, do you enjoy your job?

If you'd like to discuss anything relating to CP, you might like to visit our CP category. You may be interested in some of the posts in there, such as ageing with CP and post impairment syndrome and cerebral palsy
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • DanceDeb
    Yes i do enjoy my job , i like to help other to be as independent as possible and having my own experience of disability i find it's can help and sometimes can be hinder because people don't always understand 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi @DanceDeb :)

It's lovely to have you here with us and thank you for sharing some information about yourself. 

You should be really proud as I can imagine it's difficult to balance a full time job alongside your health. You're clearly doing it well though! Is there anything in particular that you find challenging when people don't understand your condition etc.? 

I hope you've been able to gain some information and support over in our CP category

If you have any other concerns or questions, please just ask away :)

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • DanceDeb
    I find manager don't always understand that i might struggle with communication if my fatigue increases as you can see in their faces, or my dsylexia they think with equipment it's disappear and my hard of hearing when i have not quite understood mis heard conversation the impatient.  Yes it can be hard at times and i feel I've have to defend myself or i can become defensive. Yes i have done well. I have adjusted as i deteriorate going 4 jobs that don't require so much moving and handling.. i try to use m to annual leave through out the Year to put break. I have plan everything, to accommodate my increasing needs .
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DanceDeb - & a belated welcome to the community. It's very nice to 'meet' you. I also appreciate you working as an OT for so long; I think from what you've said, that helping others is so very important to you, & your understanding will have undoubtedly helped many others.
    I hope some of our members have been able to help you on your other post, but do ask any questions any time. :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @DanceDeb welcome aboard good to meet you.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    DanceDeb said:
    I find manager don't always understand that i might struggle with communication if my fatigue increases as you can see in their faces, or my dsylexia they think with equipment it's disappear and my hard of hearing when i have not quite understood mis heard conversation the impatient.  Yes it can be hard at times and i feel I've have to defend myself or i can become defensive. Yes i have done well. I have adjusted as i deteriorate going 4 jobs that don't require so much moving and handling.. i try to use m to annual leave through out the Year to put break. I have plan everything, to accommodate my increasing needs .
    Hi @DanceDeb

Thank you for getting back to us :)

I can imagine that must be frustrating when your manager doesn't necessarily understand your needs. Have you tried to sit down with them and communicate your needs and how your disability impacts you on a day-to-day basis? Sometimes, all it takes is one conversation for them to understand and realize what you're experiencing :). It might seem daunting at first, but it's always good to communicate, so they can support you in the best way possible. 

It sounds like you've done an incredible job in managing multiple things in your life and that you've got a solid plan in place to accommodate your needs. I can imagine it's such a relief when you go on your annual leave. Do you have any favorite activities when you are on annual leave? I know when I'm fatigued because of my health, meditation and walks in nature, helps me a lot :) 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 

Brightness