I'd like to find a job where I could avoid standing for any period of time. Any pointers? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'd like to find a job where I could avoid standing for any period of time. Any pointers?

Fiona1901
Fiona1901 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2021 in Work and employment
Hi I have joined up as I have osteoarthritis in both knees and in constant pain. I have worked as a Nurse since 1986. I would like to find another job that would make my live a little easier, like a receptionist where I could avoid standing for any period of time. I would appreciate any pointers anyone has and am happy to help anyone if I can.
Tagged:

Comments

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Welcome @Fiona1901 :) 

It's lovely to have you here on the community with us. How are you today?

Thank you for sharing a little bit about yourself, it's good to understand your story and what you're hoping to gain from being on the online community. I'm sorry that you're in constant pain, we do have a designated category for chronic pain and pain management, that might be helpful for you. Please see the 'chronic pain and pain management' category here. Are you currently on any medication/supplements to manage your pain? I know pain management is normally quite individualized and I wondered if you had found anything that helps with yours? Hopefully some of our members will be able to give you some advice about their experiences too :) 

I can understand why you might want a role that requires less standing time and more sitting. Hopefully this will help you manage your symptoms better. We also have a work and employment category, that might help give you some more information about how to navigate different job roles. Please see the 'work and employment' category here.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reach out :) 

Libby

Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community from me too @Fiona1901 :) It's good to have you on board.

I've moved your post into the work and employment category that Libby_Scope has mentioned so that others who've been through something similar will be able to find your post more easily.

I just wanted to point you towards our employment services (Scope), which might be of help. They can help you to work out what kind of work might be suitable for you, and how to get there. 

Have you looked at any job descriptions for roles that you're interested in doing to see what kind of experience and skills they ask for? That can be a good way of assessing where you're at, and what you could do to boost your CV.

You may also want to read up on reasonable adjustments (Scope) if you haven't already, as these could help you to be more comfortable in the workplace. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Fiona1901, I hope you have found the above information helpful? 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Hello @Fiona1901

I can understand why a job that does not involve as much standing would be good for your knees.

With a nursing background, you may find that there are opportunities to work as a paralegal in a law firm . Ex nurses can be in high demand as you are great with people and interviews and can also understand medical records with clinical negligence and injury claims.

Not sure if that is a career option you have considered? 

I retired from my job as I could not cope with the commute. I am now a freelance writer . There also seem to be a lot of jobs in this area , particularly with a medical background.

Hope you can get fixed up with something suitable as I am assuming it is a bit scary to leave a career like nursing .

Please let us know how you get on 
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.

Brightness