Breaking sad news - migrants heading for UK die after boat sinks — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Breaking sad news - migrants heading for UK die after boat sinks

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2021 in Coffee lounge
The AFP news agency is reporting that as many as 20 migrants have died after their boat sank in the channel, the boat sank just outside Calais.
Heartbreaking.  :'(

Moderator note: Here is a BBC News article, for reference: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59406355
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming đź’ˇ

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Not seen any news today very sad 

It's tragic that people are so desperate to put their lives in danger 
  • woodbine

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    It is sad but common sense should tell them that a small boat is not a safe option  they would also be illegal I am sorry if I sound harsh and uncaring  but they should apply or get help from the government the UK is in a mess and can't even help people who live here 

Again I am sorry I will help anyone but there are ways of doing things and risking life is not the way 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    @lisathomas50 the article suggests they were been exploited by criminal smugglers, so really they might not of had much say. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @MarkM88 most illegal immigrants are involved in criminal activity and such like to pay to get to UK  not all illegal immigrants do that they do just get in a Dingy and try and get here the government need to have proper rules and regulations not just turn up on a beach 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    @lisathomas50 - I really hope you either haven't read the link, or have unfortunately misunderstood it. As Mark mentions, & the article states, these people were, ' victims of criminal smugglers.'
  • woodbine
    Having seen the BBC news at 6pm I suspect that it's likely some of those drowned will be children, I say that as other boats filmed today had children onboard, lets hope I'm wrong.
    These smugglers can make ÂŁ250,000 out of a "boat" load of migrants sadly it's big business.
    In comparison to where many of these people come from the UK is the land of milk and honey, the worlds 5th richest nation, with a health service free  at point of use and a great education system.
    I don't know about others but I have had little problem getting a doctors appt. inc one yesterday which i made on Monday.
    It's not quite right to say they are raising the pension age "yet again" it is currently 66 and will increase to 67 in a few years time.
    I would agree that we don't invest in the infrastructure thats another argument, but what we have is good enough, we are talking about a few thousand coming here, in the last 18 months one million people have returned home after brexit..we have the room.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    lisathomas50 said:.. the government need to have proper rules and regulations not just turn up on a beach 
    Arguably the number of illegal immigrants is increasing because the government has made it so much more difficult for people to apply legally.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Only my opinion but its not always a good thing there are arguments both sides the government as I said should do more there are more and more reports of illegal immigrants  dying trying to get here in boats lorry underneath vehicles and as @woodbine mentioned some are children people will do anything to get  here 

I think Russia have the right idea in one way not accepting immigrants but people do need help but it needs to be done properly because the way it's being done now people are dying 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
            We cannot refuse to help these desperate people, once in British waters  it is the law of the sea that we rescue them. Yes they are breaking laws but do they not also need a little compassion. Wouldn't anyone try to better their life given a choice. It isn't the 'illegal immigrants' we need to stop it's the criminals making vast amounts of money. They don't care if these people live or die they have had their payday. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,361 Disability Gamechanger
    Some compassion is definitely needed here! There were 31 deaths from this today and at least one was a young girl. Incredibily sad indeed!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lisatho11987777
    I do have compassion and I it is sad the government and the law need to sort it it out its a vicious circle the criminals are doing it because the immigrants are willing to pay there is fault on both sides and there is a great need of intervention  to stop it from happening ? 
  • calcotti
    Some interesting information and context here
    https://www.unhcr.org/uk/asylum-in-the-uk.html
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • chiarieds
    i'm at a loss as to why you think potential immigrants are at fault as they're willing to pay; they're desperate people who are fleeing their countries, giving up all they own, or financed by their families trying to help them escape. The criminals are taking advantage of such people; the fault is theirs, & theirs alone.
    Totally with @vikingqueen & @poppy123456 with this. To me, all life is precious.
  • woodbine
    The death count is now 33 and as poppy says at least one of them was a young girl, it is incredibly sad.

Our wonderful home secetary (not) has a brain wave last week that we build wave machines to secure the channel, I think she must have been with Boris on his peppa pig visit when she dreamt that one up.

As I alluded in an earlier post I don't understand anybody when they say we don't have the room when over 1 million people left the UK in the last 12 months, and when we have over 1.1 million job vacancies, for my money they can send the QE2 over to Calais and fill it with migrants and bring them safely to the UK.

• calcotti
    woodbine said:.. I don't understand anybody when they say we don't have the room when over 1 million people left the UK in the last 12 months, and when we have over 1.1 million job vacancies, ..
    On that point I thought this was an interesting opinion piece
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/23/britain-workers-ministers-small-boats-channel
    ————
    The world is in a mess and for a variety of reasons lots of people are on the move. There is no easy way of managing these flows but simply attacking the most visible symptoms to suit newspaper headlines certainly isn’t going to help.
  • Lisatho11987777
    As I said people need help but it's better to do it the proper way there is plenty of help where I used to live we had people from Poland  didn't work out well and they were deported back to Poland people are refused for a reason that only immigration know about its better to have immigration  and the government and the law deal with it and not have people just turning up 

Would you take someone into your home to live that you know nothing about that just turns up ??

Or would you be more prepared to take someone in that has gone through proper channels and have Bern given information you need to know ??

Only a question  its the same as letting people into the UK  as I said everyone needs help and it is sad what has happend and the government need to clamp down and sort it out ti stop it happening 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,361 Disability Gamechanger
    This has nothing to do with "taking strangers into your home" :|
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    Perhaps literally a world of difference in, 'there is plenty of help where I used to live we had people from Poland  didn't work out well and they were deported back to Poland,' which you have intimate knowledge about, so who did it help? & why people flee war torn countries, famine, etc.
  • calcotti
    lisathomas50 said:..where I used to live we had people from Poland  didn't work out well and they were deported back to Poland 
    The UK has very little ability to deport people. You can only deport someone to a country willing to receive them. Since Brexit we no longer come under EU rules and, as I understand it, can no longer deport anybody back to a European country they passed through on the way here.

Numbers seeking to enter the U.K. are proportionally much lower than in many countries because we are geographically distant from the primary areas people are fleeing whereas turkey is hosting millions of refugees. 

Newspaper headlines, sound bites etc do not 

Every time I go to the hospital I am grateful to people who have come to this country (whether themselves or their parents). I really don’t care how they got here.

Brightness