Work commitment esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work commitment esa

Redgeorgi1
Redgeorgi1 Community member Posts: 25 Listener
Hi 
I've been on new style esa for a year. 
I was in this due to anxiety. 
I've now developed rhumertide arthritis. My esa finishes in December 2021. I have sent a fit not to dwp. A work coach spoke to me to say there are no commitments to keep esa payments. 
I have just received the commitment letter saying no commitments etc. 
Very strange letter or form. There's nothing to say I need to sign or send back all it says by the signature space is telephone interview. 
Is that it now? Do I have to send bavk the form? Thank you 

Comments

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
    It is ' rheumatoid ' arthritis. Have you had a diagnosis from your rheumy team? 
  • Redgeorgi1
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
    Make sure your GP puts it on your sick note, hope you are getting the right medication it took about 3 years to get mine sorted. 
  • Redgeorgi1
    Yes she has with the anxiety. 
    Still early days for me really. My consultant has changed my medication but I'm not really seeing any improvement atm. 
    Gosh 3 years that sounds terrible.
    The commitment letter I've received, I presume that's just for my records? There's no information to send back etc? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,341 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you had a work capability assesment for your current ESA claim? If placed into the Support Group your payments will continue for as long as you remain in that group.
    If you've had the work capability assessment and you were placed into the WRAG then yes payments will stop after one year.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Redgeorgi1
    I had the work capacity assessment on Monday, not much was said really. He just said do I accept the commitments, which was basically keep updated on any changing health concerns. 
    Then the commitment firm came through with just that on and ticked. No info on sending back or what I would be paid, if pay continues. 
  • Redgeorgi1
    I did ask if payments would continue and he said yes. 
    I don't know what group I'll be in, there's no info at all. 
    I wasn't in support group I was in the 1 year esa 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    I did ask if payments would continue and he said yes. 
    I don't know what group I'll be in, there's no info at all. 
    I wasn't in support group I was in the 1 year esa 
    It sounds as if you are waiting for the outcome of the assessment and are still in the 'assessment phase'. Your payments will stop after one year unless the assessment decision places you in the Support Group in which case your payments will continue.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    I had the work capacity assessment on Monday, not much was said really. He just said do I accept the commitments, which was basically keep updated on any changing health concerns.
    That would not have been the work capability assessment. That sounds like you had an appointment with your work coach, they do not do work capability assessments.
    Have you filled out the ESA50 form since you claimed ESA? This is the form. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/capability-for-work-questionnaire
    The work capability assessment is completed by the Health Assessment Advisory Service. https://www.chdauk.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance-esa Once your assessment is completed, the assessment reported is returned to DWP and a decision maker will look at that and all the evidence you sent and make a decision from that. It will either be fit for work, WRAG or Support Group and you will be sent a decision letter in the post.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Redgeorgi1
    Yes, sorry work coach. Never had that before. 
    So I've been on esa since Dec 2020 I had one medical lady ring me. 
    Then a letter to say I can get esa. 
    Not heard anything till Nov 2021 to say my esa is finishing.
    Then I sent a fit note to say I still have anxiety and also a new condition rhumertide arthritis.
    I then had an appointment with work coach to agree to commitments which was just to keep updated with my condition 
    Then I received the form  commitment from the work coach.
    So do I still have to wait to see if I will still get payments.?
    Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    What did the letter say? Did it tell you that you were placed into either the Work related activity group (WRAG) or Support Group? If it's the former then your payments will stop after 1 year. It would help to know which group you've been placed into.
    If it was the WRAG i don't know what the rules are for reporting a new condition but i think there's a waiting period before you can receive payments after the 1 year has ended but i'm not 100% sure on that, others may know if they see this.
    If you're receiving £74.70 (over 25's) per week then it's likely that you were placed into the WRAG.
  • Redgeorgi1
    Hi. 
    Thanks for helping, it's just a basic form saying electronic signature on phone to agree to commitments that's it?? ☹️
    No commitments just to report if another illness 
  • calcotti
    edited December 2021
    poppy123456 said: If it was the WRAG i don't know what the rules are for reporting a new condition but i think there's a waiting period before you can receive payments after the 1 year has ended but i'm not 100% sure on that, others may know if they see this. 
    I can't think of any reason why an ESA claimant in WRAG cannot report a deterioration in their health based on a new condition and request a new assessment. When a new assessment is done if a decision is made that the claimant fits the Support Group criteria that should be backdated to when the change was reported.

As always it needs to be remembered that the decision is based on the difficulties experienced, not on any underlying diagnosis.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Redgeorgi1
    This is basically it 
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2021
    calcotti said:
    poppy123456 said: If it was the WRAG i don't know what the rules are for reporting a new condition but i think there's a waiting period before you can receive payments after the 1 year has ended but i'm not 100% sure on that, others may know if they see this. 
    I can't think of any reason why an ESA claimant in WRAG cannot report a deterioration in their health based on a new condition and request a new assessment. When a new assessment is done if a decision is made that the claimant fits the Support Group criteria that should be backdated to when the change was reported.

As always it needs to be remembered that the decision is based on the difficulties experienced, not on any underlying diagnosis.

Thanks calcotti. The reason i thought that was because of the 1 year time limit if in the WRAG and would payments stop or continue? This was my only thoughts.
    OP doesn't seem to know which group they were placed into after the WCA. If in the Support Group, there would have been no need to report any changes.
  • Redgeorgi1
    Thanks everyone x
  • Redgeorgi1
    It's so stressful, I haven't got a clue what's happening. I hate ringing them. I'll just wait and see what happens. X
  • calcotti
    poppy123456 said: Thanks calcotti. The reason i thought that was because of the 1 year time limit if in the WRAG and would payments stop or continue? This was my only thoughts. 
    OP doesn't seem to know which group they were placed into after the WCA. If in the Support Group, there would have been no need to report any changes.
    If no revised WCA decision has been made by the end of the 12 months in WRAG the ESA payments would stop but if a decision is subsequently made that the claimant is now in Support Group that decision would be backdated to the date the deterioration in health was reported. Payments would then be reinstated with arrears due.
  • calcotti
    It's so stressful, I haven't got a clue what's happening. 
    How much ESA do you currently receive?
    Did you complete a health questionnaire after you claimed?
    Do you recall having an assessment (probably by phone) and then getting a decision?
  • Redgeorgi1
    Hi
    I recieve 140 fortnightly. 
    Nov 2020 I filled in a long booklet questionnaire and then a lady rang me then I got the esa contribution based till now 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.